Question on gross income

Mars22

Active Expediter
I know this is a personal question but I want a large sample size to see if its worth it for me to get into a cargo van.

What are you grossing for the O/O CVs?

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
i am not in a van but do to the different work ethics of people a better way of stating your question may be, i need to earn this much a week/month to cover my personal/business expenses, is this possible. gross income can be all over the place. you need to work out what all your expenses are then see where you fall as to whether this will work or not.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This question has been asked here at least a bazillion times, maybe even a gozillion times. It really is a wide range. There are van O/Os that gross as low as 40k and seem pleased with that, even finding it hard to believe that more can be made. LOL... The high end can be around 90k, but I think that may be a thing of the past as Sprinters and the higher cube vans are becoming more preferred. I was in a cargo van for a little more than 8 years and my best year was just under 70k.

The choice of a company and learning their system is very important. The work ethic and business sense of the O/O is also very important. In today's world of expediting, a Sprinter or some type of higher cube van is the best choice.

Mars22

Active Expediter
See, I wanted this over in the general forum so more people would comment on it. The original thread had all over maybe 4 or 5 actual answers. I would prefer to hear 50 or 60 people weigh in on what the gross/net in an average year.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
50 or 60 people are not gonna weigh in here with their personal financial information, no matter which forum you place this in, so forget that. You beat to death the net income question in another thread, but the answers weren't to your liking. So now you want the same or more people to post their gross income figures. Why not come right out and ask for everyone to post the P&L sheets and their tax returns? This isn't a personal question, it's an insanely personal question, and even if you knew all the numbers it still wouldn't do you any good because everyone is different with different needs and expenses.

What you are looking for is the reassurance of a sure thing, and that ain't gonna happen. Like highway Star said, this question has been asked a bazillion time here. Go do some reading and you'll find out why it's a question that the answers are largely meaningless to anyone doing the asking.

No matter what you come up with, it's still going to end up being the simple fact that you're going to spend that amount of time away from home living in a van for that amount of money.

All you have to do is ask yourself one question, "Do I want to live in a van down by the river?"

If the answer is YES, then expediting is for you.
If the answer is NO, well, there's always barber college.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
See, I wanted this over in the general forum so more people would comment on it. The original thread had all over maybe 4 or 5 actual answers. I would prefer to hear 50 or 60 people weigh in on what the gross/net in an average year.

Mars22

Just do the math, if you average $1000.00 a week you would make $52,000 gross a year. So if you average $1500.00 a week you will gross $78,000.00 a year. That is 326.09 miles per load IF you do 5 loads a week at .77 a mile and a .15 FSC. Now if your at Load1 you could do more, as the van drivers at Load1 get paid on a percentage with a better FSC than most carriers. Really it depends on many factors like your in service, the amount of runs you do, and AMPL (average miles per load).

If I was going to put a Van or a Sprinter with a carrier I would ask Dreamer, OVM, Turtle, Greg, Geo, Moot, Chefdennis, and all the other good people on here that drives in a van or Sprinter. I can't help you when it comes to vans as we don't have any in our fleet. If your thinking about a straight truck ask Davekc, Ateam, Cheri, Greg, Geo, Moose, Fortwayne, and many more owners and drivers on EO.

Expediters Online has so much to offer about expediting for people that are thinking about driving or becoming a owner. Sign up for a workshop and go and talk with the person or persons who are doing the workshop. Go to the Expedite Expo and see what this business is all about. Learn more before you just jump right into the expediting freight business. The fail rate in this business is higher than people think. Remember "most people don't plan to fail, They fail to plan". Write out a business plan and do your research in the forums and you may find what you are asking or looking for.

A very smart man told me in his office one time, " it's not what you make, it's what you keep" That man was John Elliott the President and CEO of Load1 Transportation. Welcome to Expediters Online and good luck with your search.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

There is a bit of a misconception about where questions land, the newbie forum is the same as the general forum but more appropriate for this types of questions. Most of the time if you get ten people responding, then it is a good response to your question. A lot of times you will have the same people adding or defending a point which makes it look like a lot of people posting.

EO is kind of odd, it has some things it does excellent and somethings that are done weird, like this thread was most likely indexed by Google and Yahoo (OH I supposed to mention Bing) and you may find it be searching Google, Yahoo (and of course Bing) within a few hours if not less of the first post.

Oh to answer your question, being realisitic - it all depends on the company you are with. If they have the work and willing to pay percentage, then you will make good money --> $45k (gross) should be easy in 11 months of working, but if you willing to work smart with that company, I can see $60k (gross) being a number reached. BUT this all depends on the company first and then you.

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
over 300 people have LOOKED at this thread...it has what LESS then 10 replies...whats that tell you...:rolleyes:

Has Greg pointed out, some will gross as little as $45,000 others in the $60,000 right now I am over ...no i can't sa, I'll be accused of bragging again...but its more then $60,000 way more...As are most of the drivers i deal with daily, but then again we are all in Sprinter or Sprinter TYPE vans (Cargo Max ,Cubes not a Cargo Van....