Question for Bolt drivers

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I m not putting my average rate per mile on here .....used to do that with miles on loads until someone called in whining abour my rate and my miles...so if someone does like that I m sorry....same reason chef dennis doesn t post his loads and rate on the Load 1 board anymore to many fellow drivers calling John and whining ..... So to answer a simple question ,,,Bolt pays on a percentage...BUT to make it easier for some drivers the dispatchers will have the rate per mile (all in ) figured up before calling you....If you accept the rate or decline it ...is up to you .....roughly its between .85 to $ 1.15 per loaded mile ....SO if you are coming from unbranded company or the big bargain company from Chicago ,,those rates may seem great..BUT then if your coming from Load 1 then those rates Suck ,,,,SO do your homework AND call recruiting if interested ,,otherwise quit whining around about why more Bolt drivers don t respond or post on here....last I looked this was a free site and not a Mandatory post site .....just my 2 cents..

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums

People not liking rates posted on the l1 forum has nothing to do with whining. Even John has publicly posted he does not think it is a good idea business wise.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

sirgregory46

Expert Expediter
It doesn't matter if we told we were making 3$ a mile and had proof. People would run down Bolt.. That's why we tell you to call Anne and hear it from them. Just for the record any o/o can audit the books anywhere. That's law unless you sign that right away in your contract. So with all that Bolt is not for everyone so to get the straight skinny call Anne at recruiting there are multiple post on her honesty. Thanks

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forum

paullud

Veteran Expediter
It doesn't matter if we told we were making 3$ a mile and had proof. People would run down Bolt.. That's why we tell you to call Anne and hear it from them. Just for the record any o/o can audit the books anywhere. That's law unless you sign that right away in your contract. So with all that Bolt is not for everyone so to get the straight skinny call Anne at recruiting there are multiple post on her honesty. Thanks

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forum

If you were making decent money and dealing with a company that had integrity then people would not be running Bolt down in the numbers they do. Posting an average rate, especially for all miles will not give out important information. When getting started you know that Bolt has a reputation for having cheap rates and you might think .90/mile is fine when you guys are doing better, you hurt yourselves and the industry by not giving numbers. It doesn't have to be specific but just saying .95 to 1.05 is normal. This will help keep people out of the industry that end up going broke and tanking rates.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's the thing....the scope of drivers especially CVers is so diverse....their needs are from one extreme to another. A younger driver with kids and a mortgage and no second income is screwed at rates of $1.00 or less...on the flipside, we have retired folks that have pension income...and then there are those with a spouse that works....1 model doesn't fit everyone....
the answer is pretty simple....if the rate doesn't work for you..turn it down...communicate with dispatch your needs...that you can't afford to take discounted loads all the time...but work with dispatch and you might be surprised...

sirgregory46

Expert Expediter
I am making good money here. I make anywhere in from. 95 to 3.00 a mile depends on the load long or short there are a lot of variables. I just think drivers should get the information from the horses mouth. And so you don't think I am blowing smoking John Deer load 48 miles paid 250$ that's 5.00 a mile. Like I said to many variables.
Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums[/QUOTE]

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

Last edited:

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Well I certainly wasn't a pain(they never heard from me and I was always on time) and definitely didn't cherry pick(accepted over 90%). They will dispatch around people which you seem to admit they will if they don't like you but then say my claim is false. If they are willing to do that then you have to realize they will also do it when there is someone they like more than you. I have personally seen it happen so I know for sure it goes on. You also have drivers that apparently can't figure out how much they make per mile because they pay a percentage. They ABSOLUTELY DO NOT pay a percentage and how someone can be there for more than a week and not know that is mind boggling. How does 68% of a load constantly end up being an even number like $400 or $300? Beyond that you have drivers taking loads from San Antonio to Laredo for .70/mile so when you don't accept it they don't need to negotiate, which shouldn't be happening anyway based on their claims if paying percentage.

Hey just cause you couldnt make a go of it..maybe you just have no business sense..dont knock Bolt...again I have been here for 4+ yrs bought and PAID for my van with the $$ i made for from bolt...i used to read your posts when you were with Bolt...who in there righr mind sits in St.Louis for 5 days...then wines theres no loads...MOVE..but then we are dealing with a person who trapped two full grown dogs in a cargo van with 2 adults..poor dogs.....thats good thinking...so maybe your ability to make good decisions come into play here??

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch

Last edited:

sirgregory46

Expert Expediter
Hey just cause you couldnt make a go of it..maybe you just have no business sense..dont knock Bolt...again I have been here for 4+ yrs bought and PAID for my van with the $$ i made for from bolt...i used to read your posts when you were with Bolt...who in there righr mind sits in St.Louis for 5 days...then wines theres no loads...MOVE..but then we are dealing with a person who trapped to full grown dogs in a cargo van with 2 adults..poor dogs.....thats good thinking...so maybe your ability to make good decisions come into play here??

You will never to please a disgruntled driver its always the company's fault.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Well I certainly wasn't a pain(they never heard from me and I was always on time) and definitely didn't cherry pick(accepted over 90%). They will dispatch around people which you seem to admit they will if they don't like you but then say my claim is false. If they are willing to do that then you have to realize they will also do it when there is someone they like more than you. I have personally seen it happen so I know for sure it goes on. You also have drivers that apparently can't figure out how much they make per mile because they pay a percentage. They ABSOLUTELY DO NOT pay a percentage and how someone can be there for more than a week and not know that is mind boggling. How does 68% of a load constantly end up being an even number like $400 or $300? Beyond that you have drivers taking loads from San Antonio to Laredo for .70/mile so when you don't accept it they don't need to negotiate, which shouldn't be happening anyway based on their claims if paying percentage.

I feel the absolutely pay the proper % .on a bunch of occasions i have received the billing paperwork with my BOL and every time the math was correct.....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Just for the record any o/o can audit the books anywhere. That's law unless you sign that right away in your contract.
Just for the record, what does Bolt's contract say about auditing the books? ;)

sirgregory46

Expert Expediter
Turtle there's nothing In the contract that does not permit you to audit. You would just have to make an appointment

Last edited:

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I would contract with Bolt in a heartbeat if something ever happened where I am now...

That quote coming from Ken and another from Dennis should speak volumes for Bolt.
When looking at a short load say one like mentioned above, $250 for 48 miles is a good load. What I look at is the time of day the load is loaded. If it's loaded in the Am and delivering the same day that's good. But if it's loaded for the next day and depending where your at it might cost you a long load down the line. Does it take your number 1 position on the board and put you behind 5 others? Lot to consider. Every company has discruntled employees and trucking leads the way. People buy trucks and theres nothing left to do but drive and make money. I've seen this for the past 40+ yrs and not much has changed. It's like any other business, work hard and know where your money is and where it's going. You can only get so much out of a dollar, and these days it's half as much as yesterday.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I am making good money here. I make anywhere in from. 95 to 3.00 a mile depends on the load long or short there are a lot of variables. I just think drivers should get the information from the horses mouth. And so you don't think I am blowing smoking John Deer load 48 miles paid 250$ that's 5.00 a mile. Like I said to many variables.

There certainly are better paying loads when short miles which is typical of the freight industry. The OP was looking for an overall average so my original point in my first couple of posts is why not simply give a range so that he has a reasonable idea of what the average is. The OP did not ask exactly what you make for each load but simply an average with fuel surcharge.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
That quote coming from Ken and another from Dennis should speak volumes for Bolt.
When looking at a short load say one like mentioned above, $250 for 48 miles is a good load. What I look at is the time of day the load is loaded. If it's loaded in the Am and delivering the same day that's good. But if it's loaded for the next day and depending where your at it might cost you a long load down the line. Does it take your number 1 position on the board and put you behind 5 others? Lot to consider. Every company has discruntled employees and trucking leads the way. People buy trucks and theres nothing left to do but drive and make money. I've seen this for the past 40+ yrs and not much has changed. It's like any other business, work hard and know where your money is and where it's going. You can only get so much out of a dollar, and these days it's half as much as yesterday.

That is the thing....HOW you talk with dispatch....IF they offer you a substandard load....how one responds....naturally if you respond in an argumentative stance, dispatch will go on the offense as well....discuss the load with them, be reasonable, they have a load to get rid of, it is their job, come to terms or...just say No thanks, nothing in that load for me, maybe the next one...thanks for the offer....be professional!!

Dennis and I work a lot the same with the same kind of thinking...we know how to talk to dispatch, read communicate!

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
That is the thing....HOW you talk with dispatch....IF they offer you a substandard load....how one responds....naturally if you respond in an argumentative stance, dispatch will go on the offense as well....discuss the load with them, be reasonable, they have a load to get rid of, it is their job, come to terms or...just say No thanks, nothing in that load for me, maybe the next one...thanks for the offer....be professional!!

Dennis and I work a lot the same with the same kind of thinking...we know how to talk to dispatch, read communicate!

That is exactly i how i handle it...very nice ..i just say no thanks..I get lots of practice because living on the W. side of MI they are plenty of loads going to the E. side...which just are not for me

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Hey just cause you couldnt make a go of it..maybe you just have no business sense..dont knock Bolt...again I have been here for 4+ yrs bought and PAID for my van with the $$ i made for from bolt...i used to read your posts when you were with Bolt...who in there righr mind sits in St.Louis for 5 days...then wines theres no loads...MOVE..but then we are dealing with a person who trapped to full grown dogs in a cargo van with 2 adults..poor dogs.....thats good thinking...so maybe your ability to make good decisions come into play here??

Well since I am doing very well where I am now booking my own freight I doubt that I lack business sense. I stayed in certain areas longer than others because there were other cargo vans getting loads so I knew there was freight there. I am simply sharing the truth about Bolt and even said that the rates were good before it slowed down. You take everything personally and get so mad at people that don't agree with you 100% that you PM them and tell them they don't belong here. Why not just acknowledge that there are a lot of complaints about low rates and ethical issues with Bolt rather than say I am lying but then admit what I said was true.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Well...it is the truth?...Paul put it out there for all to see.....he couldn't make it work...Bolt was not for him...
Bolt may not have been for him, but that doesn't excuse someone digging up stuff from outside this thread and using it as personal attack. Sitting in Kansas or having dogs in the van have nothing to do with this discussion, and were introduced into the discussion solely as an ad hominem attack on someone in order to marginalize the person and his comments.