Question about load weight.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
039 you are intermixing GVWR, GCWR, state vehicle weight registration, vans, trailers, class 8 trucks and BIT inspections into a confusing mess.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Actually the rear end of the vehicle carries the weight.

The BIT (a.k.a. Biennial Inspection of Terminals) seems to be more geared to encompass the audit that a lot of other states do to ensure the authorities within their borders are actually keeping up to date records and so on.

You seem to mistake the BIT for the same thing as a DOT inspection with a bit more added, it isn't. The DOT inspection is there to ensure the safety of the vehicle, in no means is a test for design standards or even has to do with additional equipment added. For example that extra leaf someone added to the front of the truck does not have to meet any actual performance standards, it has to be free of cracks and in working order. The DOT inspector looks at that and checks it off as a pass or no pass. inspections are annual, the state has the option to make it biennial while some carries like it every quarter.

The registration's purpose is not to indicate anything beyond the fees and taxes collected, it is not an operating permit (although it is in some countries like the UK) and it is not a safety permit. The registration is there to say what the vehicle is and if the fees and taxes are paid.

THE OEM by law has to adhere a sticker to the vehicle that indicates the safe operating peramiters of that vehicle in respect of weight. It is the OEM who determines what can go on the vehicle, not anyone else. The upfitter is also allowed to make vehicle alterations in order to sell to the public and can put on their own sticker. They have to be qualified by the OEM to do this work.

As for you and John law, it may work well with the CHP but I can tell you from experience it won't here.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thank you Greg! I didn't have time to get into this any further because I had to grill some pizzas and then eat them.

I own a Chevrolet 3500 cargo van. The GVWR is 9600 pounds. That is the maximum gross weight as rated by the manufacturer. This van is plated in the state of Minnesota. My registration card and little stickers that get affixed to the plate have a weight stating 10,000 pounds. This does not mean I can have a gross weight of 10,000#. It is merely the upper limit of a weight bracket for tax and fee purposes only. My legal GVW is still at 9600 pounds.

093 and Johnny Law may get along just fine until 093 gets pulled onto a scale and is over the GVWR. It won't matter if your registration and plate say 1150 or whatever, you are over the manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating and in violation.

In the real world the chances of getting weighed are slim to none, unless you haul hazmat which requires you to stop at scales. In 14 years of expediting in a van I have encountered only one major problem at a scale. I had my axles split weighed, GVWR verified and tire rating checked. I had a full vehicle inspection, logbook and B.O.L. scrutinized, everything but a cavity search. I got a fix-it ticket for a burned out license plate lamp! All because an ignorant Wisconsin Highway Patrol pulled me over for displaying flammable placards on a cargo van. Oh the audacity of these pesky cargo van drivers thinking they can haul flammable freight with placards.
BAN THE VAN!

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
Nothing confusing about it. Federal law is federal law. Cops do ignorant things all the time, including passing along misinformation.

I can and will continue to modify my vehicles myself legally. You all go on being contrary and do what you think is best. I'll just go on hauling the weightier loads and I'll be sure to let everyone here know when I get in trouble. 21 years in the heavy haul/expedite business and 10% of our trucks being altered in the ways I've described, so far not one has been put out of service.

But what do I know?

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Nothing confusing about it. Federal law is federal law. Cops do ignorant things all the time, including passing along misinformation.

I can and will continue to modify my vehicles myself legally. You all go on being contrary and do what you think is best. I'll just go on hauling the weightier loads and I'll be sure to let everyone here know when I get in trouble. 21 years in the heavy haul/expedite business and 10% of our trucks being altered in the ways I've described, so far not one has been put out of service.

But what do I know?

I don't know what you know but you are missing the points we are making.

I think you are blurring the lines between the classes of vehicles, federal law and state laws and that an alteration of a commercial vehicle like a truck is different than a multipurpose vehicle like a van.

What ever you want to do is fine with me, but if you get into an accident and then get a lawyer who isn't stupid on the plaintiff's side who will ask why you are loaded beyond the manufacturer's limits, you may be looking at an interesting personal issue.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nothing confusing about it.
There's plenty of confusion about this. Much of it being introduced by you. The original poster wanted info on cargo vans and weight. If you have modified a cargo van to exceed the manufacturer's GVWR please explain the modifications you made and the legal process involved in changing the GVWR. Please don't include trucks, BIT or 2 axle trailers in your reply. Let's keep this simple. We can deal with those in the near future.

Federal law is federal law.
It sure is and there are way too many federal laws. Are you referring to any specific federal law that may apply to the original poster's weight concerns?

21 years in the heavy haul/expedite business and 10% of our trucks being altered in the ways I've described, so far not one has been put out of service.
Per my earlier request, could we stick with cargo vans for now and move on to the trucks at another time.

But what do I know?

I can't answer that question, but would like to ask, did you ever meet Mort Walker?

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Thank you Greg! I didn't have time to get into this any further because I had to grill some pizzas and then eat them.

I own a Chevrolet 3500 cargo van. The GVWR is 9600 pounds. That is the maximum gross weight as rated by the manufacturer. This van is plated in the state of Minnesota. My registration card and little stickers that get affixed to the plate have a weight stating 10,000 pounds. This does not mean I can have a gross weight of 10,000#. It is merely the upper limit of a weight bracket for tax and fee purposes only. My legal GVW is still at 9600 pounds.

093 and Johnny Law may get along just fine until 093 gets pulled onto a scale and is over the GVWR. It won't matter if your registration and plate say 1150 or whatever, you are over the manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating and in violation.

In the real world the chances of getting weighed are slim to none, unless you haul hazmat which requires you to stop at scales. In 14 years of expediting in a van I have encountered only one major problem at a scale. I had my axles split weighed, GVWR verified and tire rating checked. I had a full vehicle inspection, logbook and B.O.L. scrutinized, everything but a cavity search. I got a fix-it ticket for a burned out license plate lamp! All because an ignorant Wisconsin Highway Patrol pulled me over for displaying flammable placards on a cargo van. Oh the audacity of these pesky cargo van drivers thinking they can haul flammable freight with placards.
BAN THE VAN!
I also run a 3500 chevy C/Van and I to agree with you 100%. When you carry hazardous it's a sign saying," okay cops, come and get me."

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating
Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating
Front and Rear Axle Weight Rating
Vehicle Empty Weight
Gross Vehicle Weight
The Amount of Cargo I can Haul
The Weight Stamped on the License Plate Registration for Tax Purposes

Why are these concepts so difficult for anyone who has graduated the 3rd grade to grasp?

Just askin'.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating
Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating
Front and Rear Axle Weight Rating
Vehicle Empty Weight
Gross Vehicle Weight
The Amount of Cargo I can Haul
The Weight Stamped on the License Plate Registration for Tax Purposes

Why are these concepts so difficult for anyone who has graduated the 3rd grade to grasp?

Just askin'.

Hey I graduated from the 3d grade. X x # = Y2b. That's my gross weight.

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
Wow I finally get to sit still for a couple of hours and I waste part of it reading the doubters blog..... LOL

In California, DOT inspections are quarterly. BITs come twice a year and I'm always there to make sure things go smoothly. The CHP comes with two portable scales and weighs all the bobtails and tractors with sleeper berths, checking the REGISTRATION cards and inspecting all modifications.

NORMALLY they wouldn't include my van but I called it to their attention and had a full class 1 inspection performed after I installed my spring package and tires. DMV registered it at 10750 GVW with unladen weight at 6150. CHP has no problem with it.

Guess what. That means I can carry 4600 pounds across any scale in this country legally. Of course I have to subtract the weight of 70 gallons of gasoline and all my equipment.

Well, now you might be thinking that I have to run a log book because I'm over 10000 lbs. You would be correct. However since by all appearances I am driving a regular cargo van I will likely never be weighed on the road and in any case I rarely get more than 2000 pounds with any distance on it.

So those who feel inclined to do so can go on doubting or even call me a liar.... but here I am in the flesh and working in the happy margin between the commercial and civilian worlds. Mostly doing light airfreight but capable to haul weight when needed.

I will say there is one downside. The van rides very rough when its empty. Good thing it isn't like that very often :)

fired at you from my Droideka

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
You can have a vehicle recertified to a new GVWR by the manufacturer, that much is true... BUT

I am absolutely correct that you can modify your own vehicle and have it registered at a new GVWR which is 100% valid at a BIT inspection.

This is accomplished at your local DMV Commercial Motor Vehicle Services division.

Case in point: I modified this FL120 tractor into a straight truck by extending the frame and adding the 22' flatbed with a Maxon tuckaway liftgate from my old Hino. Then i added the Cramaro convertible top. No manufacturer involved, just me, my two buddies, a plasma cutter and arc welders.

The DMV assigned a GVWR of 44,000# to this truck, giving it a 22,550# payload capability. No new placard was issued, and this truck still passes every BIT inspection.

FYI: My E350 has a GVWR of 10,750# even though the door pillar reads 9,500#.

97fl120.jpg

Facts are facts.

edit: This is how it is in California, not sure what agencies in other states are responsible for it. The laws governing the weights are federal though, so I would imagine whatever local Commercial Vehicle Enforcement services exist can direct you.
that truck should have a GVW of 46000# 34000 rears 12000 front,maybe in CA if that is a lift axle on the rear,then maybe 32000 on the rear,or does it just have 8 tires?

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
that truck should have a GVW of 46000# 34000 rears 12000 front,maybe in CA if that is a lift axle on the rear,then maybe 32000 on the rear,or does it just have 8 tires?

Its a ten wheeler. By keeping it under 45000 we save a substantial amount on the registration fees. Our goal was. 20k payload since this truck is tailored to the needs of a specific customer. It runs from Irvine CA to Hurricane UT on a regular basis with two giant tooling dies weighing just a shade under 20k pounds.

fired at you from my Droideka