Question about load weight.

sluggo

Seasoned Expediter
I have been researching expediting a while now(6 mos.) Makes, models, GVWR, GWR, heaters, ac, appliances, inverters, mpg, hp, cargo length, which motor, etc... What I cant find searching the threads is this. How many loads per year do people lose due to weight limitations: i.e not being able to load, say 2000 lbs. or wherever the threshold may be? Any input is a help. THANK YOU, Steve

Last edited:

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
I have been researching expediting a while now(6 mos.) Makes, models, GVWR, GWR, heaters, ac, appliances, inverters, mpg, hp, cargo length, which motor, etc... What I cant find searching the threads is this. How many loads per year do people lose due to weight limitations: i.e not being able to load, say 2000 lbs. or wherever the threshold may be? Any unput is a help. THANK YOU, Steve

IMO I would say that is a hard question to answer, because dispatch know's your weight limitation so would not offer anything over that.
Yes there has been an occasional offer that was then noticed it was over our limit but very rarely that happens.
:)

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
I don't think it's possible to "lose" a load that your vehicle isn't capable of hauling.

That being said, maximize Your capacity with added leaf springs, better tires and brakes, air bags and the like. Other than upgrading to a larger truck, not much else you can do. I haul 3500 pounds in my e350 on a regular basis but not going long distance. I refer to that as my "local capacity" while 2500 is my "OPAR capacity".

OPAR = Outside Primary ARea (leftover from my time at AAA)

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Some companies require us to have the capacity to handle a certain amount of weight per vehicle size. It us up to us as drivers to not haul so much personal stuff that we cannot load the required weight.

This is also true of being able to give the customer the required amount of space. Our personal equipment cannot take up room that we are required to give the customer when they ask for our size truck.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
One of the biggest problems that companies have is their laziness on documenting van weight with a weight ticket. Every van as with every truck should have a weight ticket given to the company when they sign and once in a while another one to check the weight.

Overloading of a van is different than overloading of a truck, the dynamics of the van are completely changed and become unsafe. The Manufacturer spends MILLIONS of dollars to ensure that the van is safe at the maximum load and trying to limit their liabilities with the people who overload them. The truck is about the same but has a getter safety margin because of the same factors - engineering of the vehicle.

Shedding weight comes in two categories, personal and equipment. Many many many people start off with too much personal stuff and can easily shed a lot of that weight. The equipment is another thing, a lot of people need to bring only what is needed and maybe a few other things but you would be surprised at what people do bring.

The other thing that comes to mind that has to do with comfort. I saw this when I started and just a couple weeks ago, a love seat in a van and a living room chair. I don't remember why the guy had it in his van the first time but this other guy was clear, if he was going to live on the road, it was his home and he wasn't going to give up some comfort.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
One of the biggest problems that companies have is their laziness on documenting van weight with a weight ticket. Every van as with every truck should have a weight ticket given to the company when they sign and once in a while another one to check the weight.

Overloading of a van is different than overloading of a truck, the dynamics of the van are completely changed and become unsafe. The Manufacturer spends MILLIONS of dollars to ensure that the van is safe at the maximum load and trying to limit their liabilities with the people who overload them. The truck is about the same but has a getter safety margin because of the same factors - engineering of the vehicle.

Shedding weight comes in two categories, personal and equipment. Many many many people start off with too much personal stuff and can easily shed a lot of that weight. The equipment is another thing, a lot of people need to bring only what is needed and maybe a few other things but you would be surprised at what people do bring.

The other thing that comes to mind that has to do with comfort. I saw this when I started and just a couple weeks ago, a love seat in a van and a living room chair. I don't remember why the guy had it in his van the first time but this other guy was clear, if he was going to live on the road, it was his home and he wasn't going to give up some comfort.

That's very well put. You can modify a C/V with bigger leaf springs, tires etc, but what is safe. Even if you modify with springs to get that bigger load, your killing other parts of the vehicle, transmissions, drive lines, brakes, Is the extra revenue worth the cost of tarring up your equipment and compromising safety? If they want you to haul more for less just say no.
Linda is right about personnel belongings and extra weight, but don't compromise your comfort ether. If your not comfortable on the road your compromising your health and well being. Yes we were all tuff when we were younger but believe me later on in life we all get softer, mentally and physically. Have a great day.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Legal is what the little placard on the door post states. I own a Chevrolet 3500 and the GVWR is 9600 pounds. I can not legally exceed 9600 pounds even if I add airbags, extra leaf springs and chicken lights. An exception to this is a certified up-fitter who modifies the chassis changing the GVWR and also replaces the GVWR placard.

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
Ummm...are you suggesting one can modify the unit to exceed its maximum GVWR? :cool:

The GVWR on your vehicle is "as equipped" from the factory. You can certainly upgrade your vehicle in any way you choose, but for the weight to be legal you must have your work inspected and have a new GVWR assigned to the vehicle which will show on your registration. The placard at that point becomes meaningless. I have passed every BIT inspection by showing the officers my registration and going pointing out the new equipment. Bottom line: if your tires can handle the weight, the inspector doesn't even care about your springs, bags, etc.

As for the transmission and other components, a super duty Ford can handle double the GVWR with ease.

Safety comes down to the driver, nobody should be whipping it around corners under a load. Always leave extra stopping room yada yada etc. blah blah and so on.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The GVWR on your vehicle is "as equipped" from the factory. You can certainly upgrade your vehicle in any way you choose, but for the weight to be legal you must have your work inspected and have a new GVWR assigned to the vehicle which will show on your registration.

Actually that is not true by any means.

The GVW isn't changed by anyone except a manufacturer or an upfitter following the manufacturer's guidelines - and the latter is only within the rated GVW of the manufacturer.

I have been over this subject with several groups who regulate and manufacturer the vehicles and they all say the same thing - the sticker rules.

SO the only one that can issue the OEM sticker is the OEM and the upfitter's issue a supplementary sticker with any modifications for the vehicle, like altering the wb.

The inspecting officer doesn't care about the registration of the vehicle, they go by the sticker and only the sticker. If the sticker says 9600 lbs, it is 9600 lbs, nothing more. Registrations are tax receipts for licensing, not any proof of that safety standards are followed.

NOW the other side of the issue is this, the equipment that you retrofit onto the vehicle may not be up to the standards of the manufacturer, like air bags or more springs. This means that unless the manufacturer of the equipment you put on the vehicle meet the requirements, you are doing so at your own risk.

If you expect anyone to inspect those modifications, it has to be the manufacturer to ensure that the parts used are up to their standards and are tested to meet the requirements they feel are necessary to increase the weight.

Will they do this?

NOPE, not a chance in hell they will do that for anyone except "special customers".

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As for the transmission and other components, a super duty Ford can handle double the GVWR with ease.
You really don't believe that do you? I don't know what a super duty is but I believe an E-350 has GVWR of 9500 pounds. My calculator shows that doubling the GVWR of 9500# equals 19,000 pounds. Assuming a long box E-350 leaves the factory weighing in at 6000# you are claiming that this van could haul 13,000 pounds of freight with ease. You should get more sleep and hope you never get called in for a random drug test.
Sleep? What's that? I sometimes turn my eyes off while upright in the driver seat with the van in park, engine running. Usually never more than 30 minutes, quick recharge and I'm mobile again. Plenty of time to sleep when I'm dead.

Last edited:

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
...and what is legal, correct? GVWR is GVWR...or only if you're caught?

Yes safe and legal. If you modify a C/V or anything else to haul more weight you are doing it on your own. You cannot legally raise the GVW that the manufacturer puts on the vehicle.
If you get into a wreck and you are loaded over the vehicles GVW you are liable, period. You will be charged for operating an unsafe vehicle and probably be at fault for the wreck even though you did not cause it. Sticky situation.

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
Actually that is not true by any means.

The GVW isn't changed by anyone except a manufacturer or an upfitter following the manufacturer's guidelines - and the latter is only within the rated GVW of the manufacturer.

I have been over this subject with several groups who regulate and manufacturer the vehicles and they all say the same thing - the sticker rules.

SO the only one that can issue the OEM sticker is the OEM and the upfitter's issue a supplementary sticker with any modifications for the vehicle, like altering the wb.

The inspecting officer doesn't care about the registration of the vehicle, they go by the sticker and only the sticker. If the sticker says 9600 lbs, it is 9600 lbs, nothing more. Registrations are tax receipts for licensing, not any proof of that safety standards are followed.

NOW the other side of the issue is this, the equipment that you retrofit onto the vehicle may not be up to the standards of the manufacturer, like air bags or more springs. This means that unless the manufacturer of the equipment you put on the vehicle meet the requirements, you are doing so at your own risk.

If you expect anyone to inspect those modifications, it has to be the manufacturer to ensure that the parts used are up to their standards and are tested to meet the requirements they feel are necessary to increase the weight.

Will they do this?

NOPE, not a chance in hell they will do that for anyone except "special customers".

You can have a vehicle recertified to a new GVWR by the manufacturer, that much is true... BUT

I am absolutely correct that you can modify your own vehicle and have it registered at a new GVWR which is 100% valid at a BIT inspection.

This is accomplished at your local DMV Commercial Motor Vehicle Services division.

Case in point: I modified this FL120 tractor into a straight truck by extending the frame and adding the 22' flatbed with a Maxon tuckaway liftgate from my old Hino. Then i added the Cramaro convertible top. No manufacturer involved, just me, my two buddies, a plasma cutter and arc welders.

The DMV assigned a GVWR of 44,000# to this truck, giving it a 22,550# payload capability. No new placard was issued, and this truck still passes every BIT inspection.

FYI: My E350 has a GVWR of 10,750# even though the door pillar reads 9,500#.

97fl120.jpg

Facts are facts.

edit: This is how it is in California, not sure what agencies in other states are responsible for it. The laws governing the weights are federal though, so I would imagine whatever local Commercial Vehicle Enforcement services exist can direct you.

Last edited:

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
You really don't believe that do you? I don't know what a super duty is but I believe an E-350 has GVWR of 9500 pounds. My calculator shows that doubling the GVWR of 9500# equals 19,000 pounds. Assuming a long box E-350 leaves the factory weighing in at 6000# you are claiming that this van could haul 13,000 pounds of freight with ease. You should get more sleep and hope you never get called in for a random drug test.

Perhaps you need some assistance in separating facetious sarcasm from factual statements.

Of course I get plenty of sleep.

My engine, transmission and rear end, if transplanted into a larger vehicle with heavier axles and tires, could haul 13000# or even more with no problem at all. It was never my intention to imply that somehow you are going to fit that much cargo inside the van.

I recently drove from Long Beach CA to Durango, CO to Sugar Hill GA with 3100# inside the van while pulling a two axle 16' box trailer weighing 5200#. Total gross weight according to the CAT scale at the TA in Ontario, CA was 16,048# with both fuel tanks full.

I literally flew over the Great Divide, passing 11,000 ft. elevation with no problems whatsoever. Granted, the overdrive was turned off for the entire trip but I still got over 12mpg the whole way.

Like it or not, that's reality.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Perhaps you need some assistance in separating facetious sarcasm from factual statements.
Yeah, perhaps I do. It's just the mixing of apples, mangoes and doughnuts that has me confused.

Of course I get plenty of sleep.
So you stated in a previous post.

My engine, transmission and rear end, if transplanted into a larger vehicle with heavier axles and tires, could haul 13000# or even more with no problem at all.
Add wings and a propeller and it may even fly.

It was never my intention to imply that somehow you are going to fit that much cargo inside the van.
I think I now know what you are getting at but it still seems like an apples and oranges thing. The inclusion of the 2 axle trailer certainly changes things.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You can have a vehicle recertified to a new GVWR by the manufacturer, that much is true... BUT

But what?

I am absolutely correct that you can modify your own vehicle and have it registered at a new GVWR which is 100% valid at a BIT inspection.

OK I will give that to you, register it as a new GVW but the problem is the registration means squat when you are hauling outside that state - the door sticker rules.

This is accomplished at your local DMV Commercial Motor Vehicle Services division.

Not all states permit this.

Case in point: I modified this FL120 tractor into a straight truck by extending the frame and adding the 22' flatbed with a Maxon tuckaway liftgate from my old Hino. Then i added the Cramaro convertible top. No manufacturer involved, just me, my two buddies, a plasma cutter and arc welders.

The DMV assigned a GVWR of 44,000# to this truck, giving it a 22,550# payload capability. No new placard was issued, and this truck still passes every BIT inspection.

Ah... but that's not a valid point. That is a commercial vehicle and as such is subject to modification. I am talking about vans, cutaways and pickups - which are also personal vehicles with a dual or multipurpose.

FYI: My E350 has a GVWR of 10,750# even though the door pillar reads 9,500#.

Actually the GVRW is 9.500 lbs, the sticker says so. IF you get pulled over in say Illinois or Michigan or Georgia, they look at that sticker and weigh you, then you can get a nice fine - registrations mean nothing.

Facts are facts.

edit: This is how it is in California, not sure what agencies in other states are responsible for it. The laws governing the weights are federal though, so I would imagine whatever local Commercial Vehicle Enforcement services exist can direct you.

Always a caveat

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter

I think your right, but there maybe a little confusion between GVWR and Towing, not to open another can of worms. As for me I'm just going to tag my truck for the GVW of the placard on the truck, that way the policeman won't say "STICK'M UP AND SPREAD'M BOY".

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
Yeah, perhaps I do. It's just the mixing of apples, mangoes and doughnuts that has me confused.

So you stated in a previous post.

Add wings and a propeller and it may even fly.

I think I now know what you are getting at but it still seems like an apples and oranges thing. The inclusion of the 2 axle trailer certainly changes things.

Engines, transmissions, rear ends.... these things do not carry weight, they pull it.

BIT inspections, while carried out at the state level, are federally mandated. My registered GVWR is valid everywhere. My registration says COMMERCIAL VEHICLE right on it.

Gotta love all these jailhouse lawyers. You all do what you think is best. I will go right on managing fleet safety as I have been for years now. Me and Mr. John Law get along just fine.