Quality Information on EO!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Jim,

I was very reluctant when I was told about Firefox and then one day I saw Lawrence using it and realized what I was missing. I quit using Firefox as it was freezing my computer using Windows 7.

Chrome does not replace IE it is another program and is really not to bad to use. I really like that it USUALLY lets me know when I have a mis spelling.

I use Chrome for most everything I do.

I use IE to get on the FedEx Extranet and to work on my blog with no problems.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You can also check out Opera, it is faster that all of them, not as fancy as Firefox or Chrome (which uses the same 'engine' as firefox ... did I mention Opera is faster?

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
OK, I am now on Chrome. I am willing to try something new. And I can now see the stats.
We will see how this works out.
Thanks Linda and Lawrence.:)

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
OK, I am now on Chrome. I am willing to try something new. And I can now see the stats.
We will see how this works out.
Thanks Linda and Lawrence.:)

You are welcome! You know your thanks is really appreciated that is one word that is not used enough.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Jim,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news - but if you visit many websites - you most likely are missing items, you would never know with IE 7. While websites are viewable - the extra load time and experience is diminished. Most websites don't support IE 7 anymore - not to mention IE 7 is notorious for viruses etc.

Really, it's VERY easy to download Firefox or Chrome. Websites will load 20%-30% faster and navigating the web will seem very smooth - and safer. You'll be glad you did.

I am not the best with computers, how do I tell what I have? ANd where do I download these newer ones?

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I am not the best with computers, how do I tell what I have? ANd where do I download these newer ones?

Search for Google Chrome. It is free and so far I am impressed. It is much faster than IE7 and seems easy enough to use.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I've tried Chrome a couple of times, and like it, but there are 2 or 3 Firefox Addons that I really like which are not available for Chrome.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
I find IE torturously slow and full of spyware or SOMETHING that just bogs me down totally. I stopped using it years ago and have been using Firefox instead (although I'm not altogether happy with it either since it seems to be a memory hog, at least on my antique PC).

The other day I tried to access my bank account from my office computer (which is NOT an antique PC), and I was unable to get onto my account (also using Firefox).

I called my bank and they said I must use IE, they do not support Firefox.

Why can't everyone just be on the same page?? Why can't sites be made workable for all browsers?

As a side point.. see what this thread has evolved into.. just naturally.. starts out talking about ratings.. ends up talking about browsers..

Regarding the ratings.. I have to register my complaint here I guess..

I think it should be made clear that the ratings are only rated by unique usernames.. for example.. there have been many times when I personally have felt that ATeam and Turtle, for example, have posted excellent posts.... but I was unable to 'rate' the post, because a billion years ago, I gave each of them a 'good rating' on another post they made.. it says I must share the wealth (talk about politically incorrect!).. I can only leave good ratings for people who I have NEVER rated before..

So, that being the case.. how does this rating system have any bearing on reality?? It only means that enough separate, individual usernames have clicked on 'rate this as good'.. but there may be other posters who have made many excellent posts, that are totally missing the opportunity to be given a rating.

I completely understand why it would be inappropriate to allow someone to just continuously post 'great ratings' to someone's posts, like say someone wanted to post great ratings to THEIR OWN posts, numerous times even.. that would be totally wrong.. but can't we find a way to rate a post as GREAT even if the poster had ANOTHER great one a month or two ago???

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Search for Google Chrome. It is free and so far I am impressed. It is much faster than IE7 and seems easy enough to use.

Why search?

Google Chrome - Get a fast new browser. For PC, Mac, and Linux

Well every time you click on a link and that link is served by a server, there is a two way communications going on in the background that you never see. Many sites use Google Analytics while others use customer software AND all servers log their requests. In this information they can tell a lot about the user in regards of the OS on the computer, the browser, where they are at and even some advertising programs that dump in cache (that is storage that websites use over and over) little programs that will look at your cookies and see what sites you like to visit.

For example one website I have gets a lot of visitors from europe and I can use the data from that information to put up french or german articles on the fly - yes it happens that fast.

I find IE torturously slow and full of spyware or SOMETHING that just bogs me down totally. I stopped using it years ago and have been using Firefox instead (although I'm not altogether happy with it either since it seems to be a memory hog, at least on my antique PC).

Since the last rendition of Firefox, a lot of people have had a LOT of problems with memory and thread (CPU) usage. Many of the Linux users like me can't view a lot of the YouTube/Flash stuff for example. I have more "crashes" with firefox than I have ever had with any other program.

The developers have been very very slow with their 'fixes' of a lot of these problems and won't address some of the more serious issues.

I called my bank and they said I must use IE, they do not support Firefox.

Yea, my carrier and a number of other places are ASP based sites which seems to be a bunch of BS. There are standards, not hard to follow but website developers and a lot of their customers think that it is the 'flash' and 'features' for the user that draws them into the site, forsaking the idea that it is the simple, easy to use, FAST LOADING sites that actually drawn in most people because their user experience is better than their competition. One site that I used to have was a static manually written HTML page and that site had unreal traffic stats - I just ran out of subject material and didn't bother to find guest authors to fill the gaps.

... how does this rating system have any bearing on reality??

It really doesn't and it really isn't a judge of quality. Participation of people's threads are. Sorry Lawrence. I find it a popularity rating, something that goes back to looking at the content, not the person who posts it matters more than the person who post it.