Cargo Van Promaster Oil Change

Discussion in 'Truck Talk' started by hapearce1, Oct 20, 2018.

1. hapearce1
    Pacman

hapearce1 Seasoned Expediter Owner/Operator

Ratings:
    +170 / 2 / -1
    Carrier:
    Fusion
    Vehicle:
    Promaster
    Thanks for the info on the K&N air filters, will definitely avoid now. If this was a muscle car I was driving locally, I’d want it, but not for the Promaster.

Again, I put in 5.3 quarts, the single quart bottle has it at “700” left on the side. I checked it cold this morning, and it’s full on the dipstick. Idk why it’s using less, but it shows full.

2. Pro3500
    Cloud_9

Pro3500 Seasoned Expediter Owner/Operator

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    Carrier:
    FEDEXCC
    Vehicle:
    Promaster 3500
    It’s an interesting artical on K&N and others for sure. I had a bike shop and installed a lot of K&N filters. Serviced Harley’s with 200,000 miles on them with K&N filter since new. I took care of a few bikes that traveled the United States and Canada year around with a ton of miles and not an issue. All my racing buddies running dirt use them as well. But this artical is something that for me needs to be looked at for sure. Be interesting to see who makes the GM filter and if one of those was tested.

• hapearce1
      Pacman

Ratings:
      +170 / 2 / -1
      Carrier:
      Fusion
      Vehicle:
      Promaster
      I’m not meaning to turn this into a oil changing blog, I just want to add when I learn or realize something.

Just made my 16k oil change. Oil looked best since first oil change. There was definitely some life left.

Checking the dipstick, I realized I was struggling getting a read off it because I’m in a habit of placing it and removing it quickly. Idk if that’s from owning Chevrolet previously, idk.

Anyway, I’m getting my best reads like this:
      1 - The dipstick has 2 sides, one side has numbers/letters, and the other side is a web diamond pattern. Put it in with the numbers/letters side facing you.
      2 - Once it’s fully in, count to 5.
      3 - Remove it, flip it over, and look at the web diamond pattern side, you should see the start and stop of your oil line. You may have to get it in the right light, but if you keep looking, you’ll see it.

Maybe it’s only my Promaster that needs this to read the line, because again it’s only taking 5.3 quarts. If it’s not, then maybe this will work for you to.

Also, finally used a STP filter. Looked solid and well made. Only a 5,000 mile filter, but seeing I’m only going 4,000 it’s more than enough for me.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
      • Like Like x 1
    • Moot
      Confused

Moot Veteran Expediter Owner/Operator

Ratings:
      +7,088 / 5 / -1
      Carrier:
      Panther
      Vehicle:
      Transit 350 Long/Tall Ecoblast
      Excellent advice!

• Like Like x 1
    • Pro3500
      Cloud_9

Pro3500 Seasoned Expediter Owner/Operator

Ratings:
      +86 / 0 / -0
      Carrier:
      FEDEXCC
      Vehicle:
      Promaster 3500
      hapearce1hapearce1 I’ve been doing some research on the K&N air filters. There’s findings supporting there claims and findings that don’t. So I decided the best way to end the debate for me was my own testing. A test that I haven’t seen yet and I think is the one needed. I just did an oil change and have the K&N air filter in. I’ll pull a sample of the oil for testing. I’ll replace the air filter with a paper filter. I was running the napa gold so I’ll go with that one for the second sample. I’ll then replace it with an OEM filter and pull another sample. I’ll send all three in and see which one has the most contaminates. The cleaner oil wins for me. I’ll be using K&N oil filter for each test. This could take awhile because of the holidays coming up as I typically take time off. I’ll post a new thread when I have it done. The sensor thing is not that big of deal as they are cheap (25 bucks +/) and changing them every 100,000 is just wise. I changed every sensor on this thing including 02 for about 250 bucks. Cheaper than a wrecker call.

• Like Like x 1
    • Mailer

Mailer Veteran Expediter Owner/Operator

Ratings:
      +1,606 / 0 / -0
      Carrier:
      I like K&N air filter, convenience and can be clean anytime. Heck, if K&N come out with a washable oil filter, Im the first in line. Lol...

• hapearce1
      Pacman

Ratings:
      +170 / 2 / -1
      Carrier:
      Fusion
      Vehicle:
      Promaster
      F7CAABFE-5975-4072-AC12-7604B9A7B156.jpeg

STP S11665
      It’s only a 5,000 mile filter, but I’m happy for it’s quality.
      (picture after 4,000 miles, Pennzoil Platinum Oil)

• Winner Winner x 1
    • hapearce1
      Pacman

Ratings:
      +170 / 2 / -1
      Carrier:
      Fusion
      Vehicle:
      Promaster
      2 Things To Add:

1 - When I went to purchase oil, Walmart was out of Pennzoil. I found a Quaker State Full Synthetic that has the MS-6395 approval. It’s less expensive than Pennzoil. I’ll update when I change again on how well it held up.

2 - Since the drain bolt is in the bottom corner, I thought it would have no issues with it draining completely. To experiment, I changed oil on a uphill incline, and the engine was hot, had been running that day. Instead of the thin fluid I’m used to seeing flying out as I removed the drain plug, I saw thin mixed with some thicker sections. I drained far more oil on the incline. I’ve put in over 5.5 quarts, so I haven’t been draining this engine properly. It’s not properly draining on level ground, so I’ll find a incline from now on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Charity's Van
      Lucky

Charity's Van Active Expediter Owner/Operator

Ratings:
      +109 / 0 / -0
      Vehicle:
      Promaster 3500 159" high roof
      I often change my oil on the road, i bought a femco quick drain plug Oil Drain Plug | Oil Drain Valve | Products | Femco® Draintechnology
      i use the pennzoil 5w 20 synthetic from walmart and hyper lube additive Car Engine Motor Oil Lubricating Supplement Stabilizer Additive Treatment
      I also use the mopar oil filter 68191349AC. the quick drain valve allows me to drain into a 2 gallon gas can for a tool less drain with out any mess. the can dont leak and i can take it to a recycler when im near one. i bought a socket from amazon that fits the oil filter canister and use a short 1/4 drive ratchet that pivots. The mopar filter i use is the latest revision that solves a drain back problem that earlier versions had. this filter is NOT at walmart; they sell 68191349AB. i order 6 at a time from a dealer in texas through amazon. cost is less than $9 each. i put the 5 quart oil and the 1 quart additve. I checked it once and it is a little above the full line. The oil changes happen so often i dont stress over the little extra. i change when the service light comes on. usually about 10k or so. My van is a 2018 3500 extended with only 142k currently. ive had zero issues. i run a paper air filter. im personally am not a fan of the k&n type due to the time and or mess required for that service. i change the air filter about every 40k miles. as for tires i run the firestone transfore ht. i put 2 new ones on the front every 40k and move old to the back. the 80k rears are given to the tire store guy to do what ever he wants. due to the weights i carry 80k for a set is fine with me and gives me confidence that ive got good rubber on the ground. i used to run them till slick or blow out. about 130 to 160k. but not anymore. just my way of doing it. no rotate or balance need in between getting new tire. what that they say FWIW YMMV!

• Like Like x 1