Progressive Insurance refuses to pay claim and pays lawyer to defend the other driver

bobwg

Expert Expediter
Heard this on the radio this morning and read on the dailymail that insurance company Progressive refused to pay the claim of accident and death of one of their policy holders and also paid the other drivers lawyer bill to avoid having to pay $100,000 claim to the womans estate.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
My wife got hit by a progressive policy holder. Two car wreck. Progressive policy holder in the wrong.
Progressive treated her more than fair.
Would want to hear " the rest of the story " before passing judgement.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
A Team should have a good spin on this.
My guess is if he's done work for Progressive in the past, but is not under contract to them presently, he'd be free to defend anyone he wants.

ShellyB007

Insurance Guru
Motor Carrier Executive
Re: Progressive Insurance refuses to pay claim and pays lawyer to defend the other dr

This was on the Progressive Agent website today regarding the Fisher Case:

Statement re: Fisher Case
For the past week, Progressive has been in active settlement discussions with the family of Kaitlynn Fisher. Though there was considerable public interest in this case and we know many of you saw mentions of it on social media and news outlets, we also believed it was inappropriate to share further details while those discussions were ongoing. As of this morning, an agreement has been reached with the Fisher family to settle the claim. Prior to that, we were cautious with our responses, but now that the agreement has been reached, we’d like to further clarify Progressive’s role in the trial.

Ms. Fisher held a policy with Progressive that included Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage, which protects drivers in the event they’re struck by an at-fault driver who’s either uninsured or doesn’t have enough coverage.

Under Maryland law, in order to receive the benefits of an underinsured driver claim, the other driver must be at fault. Sometimes this can be proven without the need for a trial, but in Ms. Fisher’s case, there were credible conflicting eyewitness accounts as to who was at fault.

A trial was necessary so that a jury could review all of the evidence and come to a decision. In those circumstances, under Maryland law, the insurance company providing the Underinsured Motorist coverage is considered a defendant. As a defendant in this case, Progressive participated in the trial procedures on our own behalf while Nationwide represented the other driver.

On Thursday, August 9, a jury determined that the other driver was at fault in the accident involving Ms. Fisher. In accordance with that decision, Progressive worked with the Fisher family and their legal representative to resolve the claim.

This was a tragic accident and our sympathies go out to the Fisher family.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Re: Progressive Insurance refuses to pay claim and pays lawyer to defend the other dr

A Team should have a good spin on this.
My guess is if he's done work for Progressive in the past, but is not under contract to them presently, he'd be free to defend anyone he wants.

Do you mean ATeam? And if so, why are you dragging me into this? Your remarks make no sense whatsoever.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

Do you mean ATeam? And if so, why are you dragging me into this? Your remarks make no sense whatsoever.

They make perfect sense in the context of Diane's previous career. But the statement from Progressive's Web site shed the proper amount of light regarding conflict of interest.

zorry

Veteran Expediter

Just suggested that you would make an interesting and sensible comment on this.
I guess I was wrong .

ATeam

Retired Expediter

Just suggested that you would make an interesting and sensible comment on this.
I guess I was wrong .

Your words seem to suggest that I was/am an attorney. In that you were wrong and that's why your remarks made no sense to me. I know nothing about the case mentioned in the original post and have no comments to offer about it.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

Sometimes there just isn't a reason to complicate the simple.
I think Shelly explained "the rest of the story".

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

I can't believe nobody's screaming about the totally misinfomed headline of the article. Progressive did nothing to defend the other driver - they appeared in court as an 'interested party', which they were.
As for their reluctance to pay a claim, if there's even a whiff of question surrounding a claim, they're going to hold off - not exactly a newsflash, IMO.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Yes, Zorry, but they didn't 'pay for the other driver's defense' , nor appear on his behalf, which is what the article says they did.
BTW: I love the Daily Mail, but even I know they're not the most reliable news source, lol.

Deville

Not a Member

That is one thing good about NY it's a no fault state & you can sue EVERYONE! Granted the price we pay is steep in premiums, but if there is an accident all the bills are covered.

bobwg

Expert Expediter

I can't believe nobody's screaming about the totally misinfomed headline of the article. Progressive did nothing to defend the other driver - they appeared in court as an 'interested party', which they were.
As for their reluctance to pay a claim, if there's even a whiff of question surrounding a claim, they're going to hold off - not exactly a newsflash, IMO.
So you dont belive everything that the Dailymail puts out but you all belive without question what Progressive is saying ??????

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

As is often the case, the truth is somewhere in between, but you have to work to get at it. The statement from Progressive's Web site is true, or at least about 95% of it. It's certainly not the whole truth. It obfuscates the fact that while Progressive is listed as a defendant under Maryland law, and downplays Progressive's role as a defendant, Progressive also acted as an active advocate on behalf of the defendant represented by Nationwide in order to try and prove the dead girl was at fault, in order to avoid paying on the policy.

Here is a statement from Progressive posted to their Web site on 8/14/12:
I’d like to take this opportunity to explain Progressive’s role in this complex case. First and foremost, our deepest sympathies go out to Kaitlynn Fisher’s family.

To be very clear, Progressive did not serve as the attorney for the defendant in this case. He was defended by his insurance company, Nationwide.
There was a question as to who was at fault, and a jury decided in the Fisher family’s favor just last week. We respect the verdict and now can continue to work with the Fisher family to reach a resolution.

Chris Wolf
Claims General Manager
Progressive

Turns out, according to actual court records, that statement is a lie, as Progressive, in every way that matters, in de facto fashion, acted as the attorney for the defendant in the case. At most, Progressive can only distance themselves by claiming they were a co-defendant and acted in their own interests, but that's not what occurred during the trial. Court documents clearly show that Progressive filed as an 'interested party' for the defense, and was 'allowed to intervene as a party defendant' on behalf of the defendant, and 'granted all rights to participate in this proceeding as if it were an original party to this case.' Which means they not only assisted the defense, but acted as if they were the defense.

Today, in response to my blog post entitled “My Sister Paid Progressive Insurance to Defend Her Killer In Court,” Progressive released a statement saying that ”Progressive did not serve as the attorney for the defendant” in my sister’s case. I am not a lawyer, but this is what I observed in the courtroom during my sister’s trial:

At the beginning of the trial on Monday, August 6th, an attorney identified himself as Jeffrey R. Moffat and stated that he worked for Progressive Advanced Insurance Company. He then sat next to the defendant. During the trial, both in and out of the courtroom, he conferred with the defendant. He gave an opening statement to the jury, in which he proposed the idea that the defendant should not be found negligent in the case.

He cross-examined all of the plaintiff’s witnesses. On direct examination, he questioned all of the defense’s witnesses. He made objections on behalf of the defendant, and he was a party to the argument of all of the objections heard in the case. After all of the witnesses had been called, he stood before the jury and gave a closing argument, in which he argued that my sister was responsible for the accident that killed her, and that the jury should not decide that the defendant was negligent.

I am comfortable characterizing this as a legal defense. I wrote about this case on my blog because I felt that, in the wake of my sister’s death, Progressive had sought out ways to meet their strict legal obligation while still disrespecting my sister’s memory and causing my family a world of hurt. Their statement disavowing their role in this case, a case in which their attorney stood before my sister’s jury and argued on behalf of her killer, is simply infuriating.

Posted on 8/14/2012 at 10:57 PM by Charlemagne Boesh

To add... for an interesting view on what you'll find at the intersection of social media, consumer frustration, anxious lawyers and heavy-handed regulations, click this:
Lessons from Progressive screw-up: When it's Twitter vs. lawyers, take Twitter - Red Tape

Last edited:

BigCat

Expert Expediter

Well there is a reason why I WILL NOT use progressive any longer. I dropped them after a bunch of fiasco involving accident I was in that was no fault to me (Rear ended at redlight) by someone with no insurance and my policy was supposed to cover but guess what? It didn't so i got stuck using junk yard parts and fixing myself. Hello All State!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

Well there is a reason why I WILL NOT use progressive any longer. I dropped them after a bunch of fiasco involving accident I was in that was no fault to me (Rear ended at redlight) by someone with no insurance and my policy was supposed to cover but guess what? It didn't so i got stuck using junk yard parts and fixing myself. Hello All State!
You're mad at Progressive because they refused to cover you for something they didn't insure you for? Seriously?