Please Help!!

Fuzzy

Expert Expediter
I bought a brand new truck last year in Sept & so far I have been in the shop 27 times!! I am sitting in Wisconsin now waiting on a tow truck! We just got the truck out of the shop on Friday!! My wife & I run team & this truck has about broke us! It is a 2008 Feightliner m2 with a Cummins 330 engine. It has this new emissions on it & we just can't get it fixed. The Check engine light comes on all the time, & it also wants us to do a regen as we are going down the road. To my understanding, we are supposed to do a parked regen. Sometimes we lose our power & can only do 45mph. Anyway, tonight the Engine Protection light came on, so we made it to a rest area. We have no power. We bought the truck in Ohio that doesn't have a lemon law for commercial vehicles. We talked to an online lemon lawyer & she said that we might be able to sue under a state or Federal law, but when I sent her all the paper work she told me they wouldn't take the case because the truck had too high of mileage! The truck is still under warranty, but with no work & spending a week at a time in motels waiting on our truck to be fixed only to find out, it still isn't fixed! I bought a New truck so I wouldn't have all these problems but this has just been a nightmare!! I don't know where to turn to get some help!! Does anyone know a good truck lawyer that would take the case pro bono? We have contacted Freightliner & they said to contact the dealer which we did & they were no help either.
Thanks for any help!!!

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
I'd call the dealer back and ask them for the name & phone # of their regional rep. Then contact that person with your concerns/complaints. Also file a complaint with the state attorney general and include a list of each repair shop (with thier name, address & phone #) that worked on your truck with the dates (if you have it) of the repairs. NY is another state that doesn not have a lemon law for commercial vehicles. I feel your pain.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'd call the dealer back and ask them for the name & phone # of their regional rep. Then contact that person with your concerns/complaints. Also file a complaint with the state attorney general and include a list of each repair shop (with thier name, address & phone #) that worked on your truck with the dates (if you have it) of the repairs. NY is another state that doesn not have a lemon law for commercial vehicles. I feel your pain.

And if that doesn't work go higher up the chain!!

As Wingnut said...have an itemized, in detail list of any and all repairs to date

Fuzzy

Expert Expediter
Ok thanks!! We have all that stuff from when we got it all together for that other lawyer. Even though we don't get any paperwork for warranty work, we had all the repair shops send us a print out of what they charged Freightliner for. We have quite a stack!

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
i have heard that they are having luck with turning off the regen on the new cummins. this info comes from xm show american business and beyond with kevin rutherford. he has a link on cdlofit.com. also a place to ask questions. just another route that you might consider looking at. dont know if it will be helpfull or not but he is very good at what he does with trucks and has alot of info. hope it does you some good

ConfusedMuse

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Oh we are feeling your pain, too. Like everyone said, itemize, document, document your timeline. Make a zillion copies, and get your fax, and or stamps out. If the dealer is uncooperative( you should have a dealer book) look up everyone all the way to the President. Start at the top Customer Relation/PR/President ( sounds to me like you've been more than fair regarding this situation. Contact the head of the company) people if your dealer is a snake. Send them copies of everything you have that is related to your current woe, send one to your State's AG also. I was more than pleasantly surprized at what happened to me, twice when I contacted the MI AG, he will get my vote if he runs for Gov.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
This must be a reoccurring theme with these 08 M2's. Just talked to a couple with a 08 M2 reefer truck that they said was in the shop pretty much weekly. They indicated they had replaced two turbos and a whole list of other items. I believe theirs was purchased somewhere in OH as well.
I really felt for them as we were talking, yep you guessed it, their check engine light came on. :(
May not be able to sue under a consumer lemon law, but I believe there has to be a few other options available.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
A drastic measure could be "run er till she blows", there would be a possibility you could start fresh. What have you got to loose, you are down most of the time anyway.I did that once, and never bought a new truck afterwards.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Another suggestion would be to get OOIDA involved. Talk to their lawyers and see what they can do for you.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That is a good suggestion with regards to OOIDA if you don't know someone already.
Should add to my previous post, most if not all of the issues were directly tied to the new EPA junk on the motor.
I think these things were rushed way to fast to the market by manufacturers and we are slowly starting to see the results.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Dave,
Am I wrong but before reaching out to the OOIDA and the lemon law lawyers, shouldn't the engine manufacturer be involved to see what they can do. It is their warranty, not Freightliner's.

No mention of that happening which should have been the second step after Freightliner taking a look at it.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would be dealing with the engine manufacturer. In this case, the truck dealer is likely a waste of time.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Have you been working with a Cummins shop or a Freightliner shop? This really sounds more like a Cummins problem then a Freightliner problem.

You can do a regen going down the road but it sounds as if yours is going into a parked regen. Ideally you would do a regen going down the road as you would use less fuel to complete a regen.

A parked regen often happens because a truck spends a lot of time at low speed in town and idles a lot.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
We have contacted Freightliner & they said to contact the dealer which we did & they were no help either.

So I assume that this is where it stopped.

This really sounds more like a Cummins problem then a Freightliner problem.
That statement is making me shake my head in disbelief.

As your guru Kevin has said '... the engine manufacturer is able to deal with engine problems a lot better than the truck dealer. They specialize in the engine and only the engine, where the mechanic at the dealer is working on a sleeper problem one time and then a brake problem another and never gets the experience to fix hard issues'.

The reason I have asked this here and in another thread.

Of course it is an engine problem which Cummins should have the right answers instead of the guessing of the dealers. They provide the warranty and they should be the ones dealing with the issue.

Fuzzy

Expert Expediter
Sorry for not getting back to you all. We have been in the shop all day & now in another motel. Anyway, not all 27 times in the shop has had to do with the exhaust system. Sometimes it has been other Freightliner issues & other times Cummins. We too have had to replace our turbo already. We have not contacted Cummins Corporation, so I guess can try that tomorrow. We feel the whole truck is a lemon because we have had air issues & box issues & generator issues & landing gear issues & lift gate issues, so in all the whole truck is just a big fat lemon!! I think we will also call the AG tomorrow. We put in a call to OOIDA a couple of weeks ago to see what they could tell us, but they didn't return our call. I thought maybe they could give us a lawyer to call or something. I like the suggestion of driving it till it blows, as long as we are making money & not spending money on the truck for rooms etc. Maybe if we quit making the payment on it we could put some money in the bank instead of giving it to Frieghtliner for a truck that we can't make a living with!! Anyway, thanks for all your help!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Fuzzy,
Box issues?

Generator issues?

Lift Gate issues?

Dolly issues?

All of these have to do with the dealer and vendor who did the work, not freightliner. The air problem can be something simple or something that has to do with the installation of the stuff on the chassis. So your beef seems to be with only the dealer who I think should have stepped in.

But anywho ... I would start with the most serious issue - the engine. I would take it to Cummins HAVE THEM document the issues, GET AN ECM DUMP on paper, and get the repair paper work in order but see if they can fix it regardless.

In the mean time, I would go to the lender and talk to them, lay it out with documents that you already have. See if they can get something moving on the dealer's part - most likely they worked with the dealer to make these loans, many get referrals from dealers. THEY have a vested interest to see that truck fixed, if they act they don't - then talk to them about taking the truck back and let them deal with it.

WHATEVER YOU DO DO NOT STOP PAYING THE NOTE ON THE TRUCK!

I would also talk to the regional rep for Freightliner to see what can be done with the dealer. Call customer service, AND send them an email at the same time. If they don't help you, go right to Daimler corp.

Take each issue separately and document them separately. I would contact the makers of each item to see if they can support their warranty, if they won't - it is time to bring it to the dealer. Most of the time they will back their product.

Now without these things being done, your chance of a lawyer winning under any "lemon laws" are going to be slim or even to totally resolve the issues. You have to do more than go to the dealer.

The thing about this business is that you and others need to get it together when it comes to tools. Sorry to sound harsh but I have been saying this for a few years now and a lot of people will poo poo what I say as a worthless way to waste money. I mean it is odd that a few of us who know what to do to protect ourselves keep saying you need the right tools that protect you before you venture off in this business. It is not the money that matters as much as it is to protect yourself.

This just proved what I have said to be right - get a lawyer and an accountant before you get into this business and work with them, build a relationship with them. So what if the cost is a few hundred for retaining and advice, they will pay for themselves in situation like this when you need a professional to step in.

THe OOIDA, with all their great work is not interested in your business or your problems, they are a group that helps everyone. It is good for those who don't want to spend the money and expect good things to happen all the time.

I stress all of this because each person doing this work does it for different reasons. Each has different goals and different needs, so having someone to understand what you are doing, knows you and how you are doing things and builds a trust relationship with you can step in and advice you before problems become problems or at times like this. A lawyer could have talk to the dealer for you the second time it was in the shop or guide you to the next step instead of trying to find answers on your own and risking more losses.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I bought a brand new truck last year in Sept & so far I have been in the shop 27 times!! I am sitting in Wisconsin now waiting on a tow truck! We just got the truck out of the shop on Friday!! My wife & I run team & this truck has about broke us! It is a 2008 Feightliner m2 with a Cummins 330 engine. It has this new emissions on it & we just can't get it fixed. The Check engine light comes on all the time, & it also wants us to do a regen as we are going down the road. To my understanding, we are supposed to do a parked regen. Sometimes we lose our power & can only do 45mph. Anyway, tonight the Engine Protection light came on, so we made it to a rest area. We have no power. We bought the truck in Ohio that doesn't have a lemon law for commercial vehicles. We talked to an online lemon lawyer & she said that we might be able to sue under a state or Federal law, but when I sent her all the paper work she told me they wouldn't take the case because the truck had too high of mileage! The truck is still under warranty, but with no work & spending a week at a time in motels waiting on our truck to be fixed only to find out, it still isn't fixed! I bought a New truck so I wouldn't have all these problems but this has just been a nightmare!! I don't know where to turn to get some help!! Does anyone know a good truck lawyer that would take the case pro bono? We have contacted Freightliner & they said to contact the dealer which we did & they were no help either.
Thanks for any help!!!

I would contact OOIDA and see if they can be of some assistance