Place you felt the least safe in

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Are you on the east side or west side? A little more is needed in the D then common sense. You need to be fast or have a loaded pistol ready to expect the worst at all hours. Home invasions and car jackings are also issues.
Does it really matter which side of town...... Detroit has is problems pretty much all over.

Use common sense when getting gas...... go to a clean, well lit station....you should be ok.....

With the green light program
Do you even want to get gas in an area with stations that are part of Project Green Light?

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not particularly but I'm planning to move to Detroit so I need to get warmed up and adapt to the life there which isn't so bad these days.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not particularly but I'm planning to move to Detroit so I need to get warmed up and adapt to the life there which isn't so bad these days.

Honestly why would you move there when you talk about how scary it is

Because it's all I can afford, when a house cost 50k its definitely a reason to move and help the city come back. Not to mention the great location proximity to east coast and Chicago/Ontario and nice summers. I have family in New Orleans also similar in terms of being "dangerous". Lets hope for positive things to take place in the near future as downtown seems to be making a massive comeback.

Detroit motto "We hope for better things" and "It will rise from the ashes"

Last edited:
Reactions: Worn Out Manager

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Because it's all I can afford, when a house cost 50k its definitely a reason to move and help the city come back. Not to mention the great location proximity to east coast and Chicago/Ontario and nice summers. I have family in New Orleans also similar in terms of being "dangerous". Lets hope for positive things to take place in the near future as downtown seems to be making a massive comeback.

Detroit motto "We hope for better things" and "It will rise from the ashes"
Modern day pioneer - go for it!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: T270_Dreamin

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Don't kid yourself...... except for a few neighborhoods that i pointed out to you earlier, that you said were too expensive, and the downtown area, Detroit is still a very undesirable city to live in. Please be very careful in you choices.

Reactions: Turtle and ntimevan

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hey, Happy Thanksgiving everybody.
If you hear fireworks hit the floor.
We’ll rotate every 30 minutes watching the cars in the driveway.
The grandkids won’t be here because my son won’t bring his family into this neighborhood. **
I’ll stand up all evening because I’m still uncomfortable since I got sodomized by those carjackers last week.
Hey, can you believe my house payment is only $150 per month !

**Had relatives that stayed near 87th and I-94 longer than advisable.
Got broken into and still wouldn’t leave. Wife was very uncomfortable.
Finally their son decided he would not bring the grandkids anymore and they suddenly moved to Oak Lawn.

ucfd608

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why? There's no law prohibiting it.

There might not be but some states have laws abou concealed weapons an a lot don’t recognize other states concealed permits so someone could get a felony gun charge an loose there gun

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
There is no federal law prohibiting a firearm in a Commercial Motor Vehicle.

If you are legally licensed to carry a gun in the state in which you are driving you're good to go. To find out which states will honor your CCW permit from your state, go here: https://www.gunstocarry.com/ccw-reciprocity-map/

(heads up: Illinois is a dick)

Do keep in mind that regardless of the gun laws in your state or the reciprocity laws of other states, some motor carriers straight-up forbid firearms in their vehicles. So even if you have a permit to carry, if your carrier doesn't permit you to carry, you'll lose your right to carry freight with them. (been wanting to type that sentence for years)

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CARRY A FIREARM IN NEW YORK OR NEW JERSEY! They both view the Second Amendment as toilet paper

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't kid yourself...... except for a few neighborhoods that i pointed out to you earlier, that you said were too expensive, and the downtown area, Detroit is still a very undesirable city to live in. Please be very careful in you choices.

If you feel that way, why do you choose to reside there?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

I dont live in Detroit. I'm in the 'burbs. Whole different world.

As previously mentioned, there are a few nice neighborhoods (Palmer Park, Indian Village, East English Village), but you indicated the cost was prohibitive.

If you find a property you are interested in research the area, then research again. Feel free to ask those of us from this area about it. We won't lie.

Reactions: jaxonviking

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I dont live in Detroit. I'm in the 'burbs. Whole different world.

As previously mentioned, there are a few nice neighborhoods (Palmer Park, Indian Village, East English Village), but you indicated the cost was prohibitive.

If you find a property you are interested in research the area, then research again. Feel free to ask those of us from this area about it. We won't lie.

Thanks Ragman for your advice on the area, this map here also indicates the safer areas. I like Jefferson Chalmers and Martin Park as well as the south side of the EEV. University District seems to be too expensive. Palmer Park, Indian Village are unattainable unless your net worth is a million +, taxes will eat you up quick on those houses!

Crime Data for Detroit, MI - Trulia

Spedz13

Rookie Expediter
Driver
There is no federal law prohibiting a firearm in a Commercial Motor Vehicle.

If you are legally licensed to carry a gun in the state in which you are driving you're good to go. To find out which states will honor your CCW permit from your state, go here: https://www.gunstocarry.com/ccw-reciprocity-map/

(heads up: Illinois is a dick)

Do keep in mind that regardless of the gun laws in your state or the reciprocity laws of other states, some motor carriers straight-up forbid firearms in their vehicles. So even if you have a permit to carry, if your carrier doesn't permit you to carry, you'll lose your right to carry freight with them. (been wanting to type that sentence for years)

MAN I am waiting on the end of the world 2nd time this month I have to agree with the Turtle lol........Yes there is absolutely no law stating u cant have a gun in a commercial vehicle.......I have this argument prolly 5 times a day with other drivers that say there is lol.....but as Turtle said most companies dont want you to have one (not so much the company but there insurance or thats my opinion on it) but hopefully they get it passed to where every state has to accept the CCW just like they do with a drivers license. I dont think it will happen but I hope it does :)

Reactions: RoadTime