Pet relocation, veteran desperately needs help

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Once in a while a comment is made about transporting a pet for someone. I never paid too much attention since I didn't need it. My son in law is a counselor and needs to get a small 8 pound dog from Texas to NY to a veteran who is in crisis. Yes, I tried a search but didn't find it right off so I'm hoping someone will remind me of the contact info. Thanks.

The following is the original request from my son in law. He said it would be ok to include it since there are no names.

I have a situation that I wonder if you can help with. I started working for MHMR in Sweetwater full time in June.

About one month ago I saw a client in crisis due to suicidal thoughts. He served in Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom with a combat infantry unit, and saw a lot of action in his tours. He finished his enlistment and was discharged about two years ago, at which time he moved his wife and son to Texas to work as a corrections officer and continue working toward retirement. When they got here, PTSD symptoms started to surface, he and his wife started having marital conflict, and she ended up taking their son and leaving him. He tried to stay nearby to be close to his son, but his symptoms prevented him from meeting some basic needs. When I met him, his symptoms had worsened, he had lost his job and housing, and ended up living in his F150 with three dogs, working at a 7/11 part time, and parking his truck at Walmart to sleep at night.

After he was discharged from the Psych Hospital, I was able to pull strings to get him immediately into services, and he was added to my caseload. I was able to make application for funds to get him transported via Greyhound to Sidney, NY, where he has family who are willing to take him in and help him gain access to treatment and employment there (he is on the bus right now). The only problem that we ran into is that he could not take any of his dogs with him, and they quite literally kept him alive by providing him an emotional connection that prevented him from attempting suicide.

I am trying to find a way to get just one of his dogs back to him (a tiny 8 lb pug named Lucy). I already have permanent homes for the other two dogs. I don't know if you have the ability to get the dog to him, or know someone who does, but I figured it was worth asking. This is an opportunity to help a combat vet who has nearly lost everything, and I think it will make a big difference in his recovery from symptoms to have the dog back with him.

If you can help, or have a connection through your transport experience who can, please let me know as soon as possible. I can take care of food for the dog, already have a leash, and can provide a kennel for her to be transported in if needed.

Thanks,

Jon

Last edited:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Re: Pet relocation

Leo Susie has transported several dogs across country for people and I believe Cheri was going to get involved.

Susie has shared stories of some of the dogs she has carried with her and they are fun and interesting.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Thanks for the replies so far. Yes, I thought both Susie and Cheri would have input when they are next online.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

I edited the original post to include more details of why this is being pursued.

robh2

Veteran Expediter
I also think Operation Roger is a good option. I have volunteered as a 4wheeler for them for years.

I hope they can help.

Robert

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
My application to Operation Roger is still pending - they're very thorough in vetting [sorry!] drivers they entrust with other people's pets - as Leo's story shows, those pets are irreplaceable.
Susie doesn't get on here much, but I'll direct her attention to this post, and hope the folks at OR can help.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Just an FYI Leo to pass on, Don't allow any Pug to be sent via an airline because Pugs are susceptible to problems breathing and a few have suffocated while in flight.

I hope you find a way and he gets his dog soon.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I wasn't aware of the flying issue with pugs. Thanks for letting me know. I will pass that along as well as the added good comments on OR.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Leo, if you haven't yet, go to the OR website - there is an application for pet transport, and if that takes too long, try calling 682 622 1172. There are also links to Pilotsnpaws.org and ARF [animalrescueflights.org] Both are private pilots groups who do pet transfers - and trust them to understand the needs and risks of the breeds. [The dogs aren't shipped as freight, like commercial airlines do it.]
I hope the vet and dog get reunited very soon.

susie q 52

Seasoned Expediter

Leo, contact Operation Roger .com you must put in app. and pay $25 but we are pretty good about moving dogs. Call Sue Wiese @ 682-622-1172. I've been part of Oper. Roger for 3 yrs. and have transported 9 dogs. Being an expediter it isn't so easy cause of the time factor we do. But there are alot of 18 wheelers that do it. The dog must have up to date shot records and health certificate. Good Luck I know how much a dog can keep one alive.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
operation roger or something similar to it came about when Katrina hit, because we were moving dogs (and a few cats) when Katrina hit. We were moving them out of N.O. area up to TX, AR, and other outlying area's to reunite them with their families, and sometimes just to relocate them to a safer area. When Katrina hit, there were animals of all kinds that needed to be relocated. we moved some on the busses, and some on the trucks.
When Katrina hit, and we went down there to move people... it was just MOVE. No questions asked. I'm not sure if it was indeed Operation Roger,
but either way... it was a great operation.
I'm sure that there's a driver either on here or possibly on TheTruckersReport.com forum that could relocate the animal.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Leo: Please post an update when you can, we'd like to hear that the vet & his dog are together again, however it happens.