People in TX are backwards

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Paullud said: "There is a Christian majority, so we are a Christian nation."
That's what I'm talking about: the Christians feel they represent the entire populace - or should. If the majority were to shift, so that Muslims or Hindus became the majority, would that principle still hold?
Yes, you can find the odd community of people who share the same religion, from the Jews to the Serbian Orthodox enclaves, but that's not a typical American community at all.
And if it's 'divisive' for the Feds to pick a religion, it would be every bit as much for the states to do it.

Who said anything about representing the entire populace? When the majority of people share a common trait the entire area is considered that. Ever here of a rich neighborhood? Poor neighborhood? Black neighborhood? White neighborhood?

People are constantly separating based on religion, color, and financial status. How do you figure that is not typical of communities in America?

What are you talking about? Who said anything about the federal government picking a religion? Regardless of how you view it the state's did just that and that is how our founders set it up.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Where did I say the states have no right to do it? I said it would be even more divisive than if the Feds do it, but you have to tell us [as always] about 'States rights'. That's not the question.
It would be divisive, and that's why it's never been done. Not because the states have no right, but because it's a very bad idea.

Every time government gets involved in things, at any level, it is divisive. That is why most government functions were limited to the States and the People. The larger the level of government the more divisive and damaging the action is, because it affects far more people.

A "state religion" not a good idea, a "national religion" is worse. A "state health care plan" is bad, a "national health care plan" is far worse and more divisive.

The biggest problem we face in our Nation today is a Federal Government that is no longer operating within the confines of the Constitution.

The quickest way to solve the problems we face is to return to the idea of the States and People being in control. There is very little that the Federal Government is sticking it's nose into these days, that is "legal" if the Constitution was being followed. The more we stray from that Constitution, the worse the problems will become.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Where did I say the states have no right to do it? I said it would be even more divisive than if the Feds do it, but you have to tell us [as always] about 'States rights'. That's not the question.
It would be divisive, and that's why it's never been done. Not because the states have no right, but because it's a very bad idea.

I guess you still haven't gotten it after I have said it a few times now. The states ABSOLUTELY did use religion in setting up their governments, that is not debatable and it happened.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I keep hearing the line about the states' rights, and the Federal government not following the Constitution, but I think the biggest problem is how we have let money buy legislators and legislation.
It makes no difference what we, the people, want, when we are sold out.
And I disagree on the national health care, because we pay for the care of the indigent anyhow, [as we should], but I think allowing the insurance companies to run it is a bad idea. At least we have some hope of voting legislators out of office, but if the conglomerates set prices, we don't have much recourse. Right now, insurance companies rule, and I don't trust them - with good reason.
Medicaid is a fed program that works pretty well, though it would be better if the government negotiated with the drug companies for better prices, but for the most part, it works.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I guess you still haven't gotten it after I have said it a few times now. The states ABSOLUTELY did use religion in setting up their governments, that is not debatable and it happened.

So how did it work out for them?:rolleyes:

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
As I understand it, the 13 original colonies all tried to combine church and state and in all cases the results were disastrous. Maryland was Catholic. Pennsylvania was Quaker. The rest were protestant. The results of these 13 test cases no doubt fed into the founding fathers decision to make this a secular nation. And to that I say thank God!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I keep hearing the line about the states' rights, and the Federal government not following the Constitution, but I think the biggest problem is how we have let money buy legislators and legislation.
It makes no difference what we, the people, want, when we are sold out.
And I disagree on the national health care, because we pay for the care of the indigent anyhow, [as we should], but I think allowing the insurance companies to run it is a bad idea. At least we have some hope of voting legislators out of office, but if the conglomerates set prices, we don't have much recourse. Right now, insurance companies rule, and I don't trust them - with good reason.
Medicaid is a fed program that works pretty well, though it would be better if the government negotiated with the drug companies for better prices, but for the most part, it works.

Medicaid is working? :confused: Where? It, as is Medicare, is bankrupt. It has "dumped" mandated coverage on the States.

Want federally negotiated drugs? Try the VA. It is ALMOST impossible to get new, front line drugs. It can take months to get approval for them, despite the fact that a doctor has decided it is needed. The decision is NOT made by doctors, it is decided by "risk managers", non-medical people practicing medicine. Those at the VA, at least the vast majority of them, get generics. The generics change all the time too, makes no difference is the "new" generic" works for those taking them. They do not always. It is not out of the ordinary to have drugs changed from one refill to the next. I can show you right now where I have two different generics on the same set of refills. Happens all the time. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. I have, once or twice, have had to return to the doctor to have my meds changed, since the "new" generic did not do the job like the "old" one did. Twice it was a BP med. Not good.

Obama Care has split the Nation wide open. It is one of the most divisive bills EVER passed by our Congress. It is the definition of divisive. Even the idea of it being a "good" to care for those who cannot, or will not, pay for their own health care, in it self is divisive. The only reason you don't see it as such is that you like it.

I agree that money is perverting our political system and our "politicians". It affects both criminal parties, and hurts us all. Our "bought" politicians, from Obama on down, are selling us down the river for their own power and glory.

Last edited:

paullud

Veteran Expediter
So how did it work out for them?:rolleyes:

Why do you repeat incorrect information numerous times then try to change the subject? I never said forcing a religion on someone was a good idea that is why we have the 14th amendment which I agree with. We are talking about a town deciding that they want Hanukkah and Christmas decorations put up.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
As I understand it, the 13 original colonies all tried to combine church and state and in all cases the results were disastrous. Maryland was Catholic. Pennsylvania was Quaker. The rest were protestant. The results of these 13 test cases no doubt fed into the founding fathers decision to make this a secular nation. And to that I say thank God!

The 14th amendment was put in place after the Civil War, the founding fathers were long since buried.