People in TX are backwards

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Agreed. Evolution does not in fact disprove god's existence in any way.

Unfortunately organized religion seems to want to do its best to disprove evolution in every way.

In ancient times it was out of fear of the unknown. In modern times it's out of fear of a loss of revenue.

As reverend Lovejoy would say, "cha-Ching"!

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This idiotic debate is why they have PUBLIC schools and Religious schools... and honestly I would rather be the one to convey my religious beliefs to my children and not the incompetent school system....

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
Why is it then that few schools teach creationism?

The Bible is not a text book.

Why do they not teach the Bible, the Koran or other religions "books"? Would not the "anti-religion" types be fighting that in the courts tooth and nail? I guess there are many "dopes" out there, and it would seem that, they don't all live in Texas and that they don't all believe in creationism. I guess that they must therefor be afraid to challenge their long held beliefs.

I think you answered your own question... Religions are, by their very nature, conflictive. You couldn't teach a lesson from the Holy Bible one week and then a week later teach from the Torah or Koran.. One thing wouldn't correlate with the next... On top of all that religion is faith based, not fact based...

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Want to learn religion... go to a religious school nobody is stopping anybody....public school = religious free zone...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The Bible is not a text book.

I think you answered your own question... Religions are, by their very nature, conflictive. You couldn't teach a lesson from the Holy Bible one week and then a week later teach from the Torah or Koran.. One thing wouldn't correlate with the next... On top of all that religion is faith based, not fact based...

OH how I disagree. What an opportunity to mix one form of history with others. For others to learn about others. Religions have FAR more in common than differences. Until that is learned we are doomed to today's BS.

No the bible is not a text book. I did not claim it to be.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Want to learn religion... go to a religious school nobody is stopping anybody....public school = religious free zone...

It is MORE than possible to "teach religion" without teaching religion. Man's many beliefs are a major part of our history. One cannot teach an accurate form of history without including religion. ALL of our history, the good, the bad and the ugly, was shaped in one form or another by those of faith and by those who would outlaw faith. No side is totally correct, neither is free of "sin" so to speak. If history is not taught including religion and anti-religion, history is not taught.

It is also NOT a Federal issue. The federal government has NO BUSINESS in local education and they should be forced out of it. What is, or is not, taught in a public school is a local matter and should ALWAYS be decided at the local level.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I would have enjoyed a high school course that gave a generalization of all the major religions.
If people understood basic religions better, it'd be easier to get along.
An unbiased course.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
It is MORE than possible to "teach religion" without teaching religion. Man's many beliefs are a major part of our history. One cannot teach an accurate form of history without including religion. ALL of our history, the good, the bad and the ugly, was shaped in one form or another by those of faith and by those who would outlaw faith. No side is totally correct, neither is free of "sin" so to speak. If history is not taught including religion and anti-religion, history is not taught.

It is also NOT a Federal issue. The federal government has NO BUSINESS in local education and they should be forced out of it. What is, or is not, taught in a public school is a local matter and should ALWAYS be decided at the local level.

Constitution/ Separation of church and state.. federal issue..
Why can we not just have a religious free Zone.I don't believe in religion ..where is my right to have 0 religion taught to my child in a publicly funded school..my child my beliefs.
Want to teach your child religion ..that's what religious schools are for...pretty simple..
leave religion out of PUBLIC schools!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Constitution/ Separation of church and state.. federal issue..
Why can we not just have a religious free Zone.I don't believe in religion ..where is my right to have 0 religion taught to my child in a publicly funded school..my child my beliefs.
Want to teach your child religion ..that's what religious schools are for...pretty simple..
leave religion out of PUBLIC schools!

One, how is it even possible to teach history without including religion? I contend that anyone who believes that is possible never studied history, or flunked it.

Two, where is the separation of church and state in the Constitution? Implied? Maybe. It is not however, mentioned anywhere that I am aware of.

Public schools should ALL be funded at the LOCAL LEVEL. Then there would be no federal issue. ALL federal monies comes with strings. What is taught in a local public school SHOULD be decided by a majority of those who are paying for it. Not in the courts and not by one or a few people.

The Federal government has NO business in education. That is a horrible power grab that should have never been allowed and must be reversed.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
If you believe religion is true..it would matter
.but I DO NOT want my child taught anything that I FEEL/ BELIEVE is all nothing more than a fairy tale..
Not trying to disrespect anyone...just how I feel...MY RIGHT..
So its a public school so we non believers have a vote..

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you believe religion is true..it would matter
.but I DO NOT want my child taught anything that I FEEL/ BELIEVE is all nothing more than a fairy tale..
Not trying to disrespect anyone...just how I feel...MY RIGHT..
So its a public school so we non believers have a vote..

A vote, as in ONE. If a majority say different, too bad, eh? That is how it should work. You have the same vote as believers, ONE and ONE only.

You are totally wrong about teaching religion. It has NOTHING to do with it is "true" or "not true", it has EVERYTHING to do with how it has shaped our history, good, bad or indifferent. History cannot be taught without including the role that religion, or the drive to destroy it, has led us to where we are today.

If it is a "fairy tale" what are you afraid of anyway? Afraid to allow your children to learn about the ways of others? That would be a very scary position.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Where do you draw the line...there already handing out bibles in public schools..fine to you..not to me...
---->want to learn religion go to a religious school..why is that so bad..
Maybe your version of how religion shaped history is how others see it..

Start Teaching ANYTHING religion in public school..than every sect of religion wants in ..opens up a big can of worms..
Nobody is happy ..toooo many types of religions ..can't my child just learn the required curriculum...that's hard enough

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Where do you draw the line...there already handing out bibles in public schools..fine to you..not to me...
---->want to learn religion go to a religious school..why is that so bad..
Maybe your version of how religion shaped history is how others see it..

Start Teaching ANYTHING religion in public school..than every sect of religion wants in ..opens up a big can of worms..
Nobody is happy ..toooo many types of religions ..can't my child just learn the required curriculum...that's hard enough

Required curriculum? Who is making those requirements? Is history a requirement? How is it possible to teach the history of Mankind WITHOUT including the role that religion, or the drive to destroy it, has played?

I NEVER said hand out this or that, not did I include my religious beliefs in anything I have said. All I said is that it is impossible to teach history without including the roles of religions, lack of religions, or the attempts to destroy religion. That is a fact.

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
Layoutshooter, am I wrong or are you saying that the historical impact of religions should be taught in history class?

Not trying to butt in or cause grief here but I used to attend Sunday School when I was a kid and I loved it. If one word stands out in my memory from that time its 'Parable'. My mind could well be playing tricks on me but it seems like that's how religion and science co-existed in the 50s and 60s. Jesus talked in parables. Creation was a parable, and so on. That's not to diminish religion in the least. Somehow it built it up and made it better.

Try to remember the concept of a parable in the mind of a child. Talking about something in two different ways at the same time! Now how cool is that? What a grand thing religion must be!

But now we're in the Dumbing Down of America phase of history and everything must be taken literally by the dip-****s that profit from the religious conflict they create. Let's see now... If we add up all the begots and multiply by the average life expectancy at the time we'll get the age of the world?!?!

Why has religion insisted on painting itself into such a dumb corner?

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There is nothing mentioned in the Constitution regarding education at all.

Which is EXACTLY why the federal government has absolutely NO business involving itself in what should be a local matter. Education is NOT of of the duties assigned to the feds, therefor it is reserved to the state and for the People to control.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I fully agree. Freedom of religion includes freedom to recognize no religion.. THAT can be found in the Constitution.

The 1st Amendment:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Layoutshooter, am I wrong or are you saying that the historical impact of religions should be taught in history class?

Not trying to butt in or cause grief here but I used to attend Sunday School when I was a kid and I loved it. If one word stands out in my memory from that time its 'Parable'. My mind could well be playing tricks on me but it seems like that's how religion and science co-existed in the 50s and 60s. Jesus talked in parables. Creation was a parable, and so on. That's not to diminish religion in the least. Somehow it built it up and made it better.

Try to remember the concept of a parable in the mind of a child. Talking about something in two different ways at the same time! Now how cool is that? What a grand thing religion must be!

But now we're in the Dumbing Down of America phase of history and everything must be taken literally by the dip-****s that profit from the religious conflict they create. Let's see now... If we add up all the begots and multiply by the average life expectancy at the time we'll get the age of the world?!?!

Why has religion insisted on painting itself into such a dumb corner?

How is it that no one seems to understand, that right, wrong or indifferent, religion, or the quest to destroy religions, is 100% intertwined in our history. There is absolutely no way to divorce the impact of religion from our history.

I am NOT talking about teaching dogma to convert. I am NOT talking about teaching the right or wrong, just the fact that religion was, is now, and will continue to be, a major part of Man's life in one way or another, and that teaching history, while ignoring the impact of religion or the quest to destroy it, would mean that the history of Mankind is not being taught in it's totality.

SOME of, but by no means all, of Christ's teaching were parables. I don't know but I would assume that could be said of most of the world's teachers, religious or other wise.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
If one word stands out in my memory from that time its 'Parable'. My mind could well be playing tricks on me but it seems like that's how religion and science co-existed in the 50s and 60s. Jesus talked in parables. Creation was a parable, and so on. That's not to diminish religion in the least. Somehow it built it up and made it better.

Not to mention the fact that all the books of the Bible aren't in the Bible we know today. The biggest problem is that a bunch of guys that wanted to control everything got to decide what they would include. Religion has a history of getting in the way, many Christians are getting fed up with religion.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app