Panther on the Road

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Charity run? I've done a few of those but had the good sense not to publicize it.

As part of Panther's recent expansion into a fuller line of ground, air, ocean and logistics services, Clarke and Wadel are taking over one of its' fleet owner's Sprinter Cargo Van for the entirety of the week and "will be on the road ourselves: getting the load offers, taking the loads, delivering, making sure we meet time schedule--the whole nine yards."

I wonder if the whole "nine yards" includes starting at .70/mile, accepting reduced rate loads, paying for insurance, fuel, QC, and making truck payments?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It would be good if dispatch hadn't known about it so they could experience the true flavor of dispatch. That definitely should be experienced. Wonder if it's also going to include t/s showers and van sleeping accomodations?

miguy1957

Expert Expediter
I think it would be alot more intresting if they started out with a full tank of gas an about $200 between them and they have to live on what they make on the road. Oh and no help from dispatch,(like dispatching around other drivers or telling them where they have a load waiting) and their first load to somewhere like Salem Ill. Just to see where they would go to from there. A month would be more fun to watch than a week.

miguy1957

Expert Expediter
It would be good if dispatch hadn't known about it so they could experience the true flavor of dispatch. That definitely should be experienced. Wonder if it's also going to include t/s showers and van sleeping accomodations?[/QUOT

No fair staying in Motels every night.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
It's a step in the right direction. I think they might have gotten better "info" if they would have done it first with no fanfare. Kept a journal of their experiences and then posted it.
We all have different experiences out here so anything they might experience may be completely different from the next guy. Again, it's a step in the right direction and maybe they can hit the road in a straight truck or tractor next time. I'll be following the blog.

babs3361

Expert Expediter
I give them alot of credit. I sure they are in a van because neither of them have a CDL. Out of all the Truck classes this I think would be the hardest sector of the industry because of the lack of creature comforts in a Van. Like the rest of you I would have like to seen dispatch not know anything about this, but we have what we have. Any other Excutes doing this I have never heard of any. A big Horray to Both of them for putting the effort. It is appreciated by this T/T O/O.
God bless them.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I don't know if there is a "perfect" way to do this when you have the company pres driving the van around. Will they experience everything? I highly doubt it. But just the fact they are getting out there to mingle and get some grasp of whats going on I think is a great idea.
Remember, at the end of the day, the kids in which the charity will be helping will be of the most benefit. That by itself makes it a great reason regardless of anything else.
"Just my penny in the pond"

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
I saw Andy at the meeting last week and he told me that they would be sleeping in the truck and taking their showers at the truck stops.

panther_art

Expert Expediter
I think I would of had more respect for what they are doing if they just would have said, that they where going to spend a week on the road to raise money for toys for totes. Instead of making it sound like they wanted to see what it is like to be on the road like the rest of us van drivers.

TonyG

Seasoned Expediter
I for one applaud what they are doing. First of all they did not have to do any of this, but for them willing to take the time to spend out on the road and to give all gains to charity is a well deserved pat on the back to both of them.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
These two men are doing it for the kids. I called Andy to talk to him, he picked up the phone and we talked some then he asked if he could call me back. He called me back 30 mins later and even said he was sorry for calling so late. I had never met Andy or talked to him but I will say I was impressed. My hats off to these two men for doing a GREAT deed for kids.