Overhead Costs

Pushingmetal

Seasoned Expediter
I am considering becoming an Owner/Operator using a 2006 Sprinter. OK, I know things are bad but I am interested anyway. How much are the monthly charges for Qualcomm, Insurance etc?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's different for each carrier, but at mine it's $35 a week for the Qualcomm, $24.89 for bobtail insurance, and $17.47 for my Occupational Health Insurance. So, that's $77.36 a week. There is also the matter of the escrow which needs to be funded, which might be anywhere from $1000 to $2000 depending on the carrier. If you can fund that up front, then it will not be deducted from your weekly settlements, otherwise plan on $50 a week for that until the escrow is fully funded. So you're probably looking at at least $127.36 a week for the first 6 months, anyway. Might be more, might be less, just depends on the carrier.

Knowing that things are bad, and that the odds are against you even in good times, before you jump into this make sure you have a sizable chunk in the bank to hold you over. Best if the van is paid for, but a low payment, like $400 or less, would still work. You can have some really crappy weeks out here right now, and you can have several in a row. Last week I has a $427 van repair, which was more than my gross revenue for the week. Something to keep in mind.

moose

Veteran Expediter
, and $17.47 for my Occupational Health Insurance. .

This is exceptionally low !

are you sure you are getting the coverage you need ?

even OOIDA , that have a group plan , charging 144 a month .

can you please post the 800# from your provider so i can shop around ?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I pay $14.50. That's about right.

Last carrier was on a sliding scale, the more work, the more money it was.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OVM, this is Occupational Health Insurance, workman's comp, not health care.

E-1 is offering group rates that with the right lawyer, makes you an employee seeing that is something that is offered to employees as a normal part of business, not contractors.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
OVM, this is Occupational Health Insurance, workman's comp, not health care.

E-1 is offering group rates that with the right lawyer, makes you an employee seeing that is something that is offered to employees as a normal part of business, not contractors.

Occupational Health Insurance, workman's comp yeah that is what I meant....

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
This is exceptionally low !

are you sure you are getting the coverage you need ?

even OOIDA , that have a group plan , charging 144 a month .

can you please post the 800# from your provider so i can shop around ?

I pay 40 a week

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If you are an owner/operator who drives your own vehicle, worker's compensation is not generally available to you. The alternative is Occupational Health Insurance, which will cover you for a work related injury. In only covers work related injuries, same as worker's comp.

guido4475

Not a Member
I do know that anyone leased to a company leased out of nc it is the state law to have it, resident or not.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
If you are independent you can get OOIDA its 130.50 a month, but they don't call it workmans comp. Its called whatever turtle called it:D