Our company

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
First off I take great pride in Load One and what we have built here. I accepted the fact when I chose to post on here that if you were really going to be different you had to post and stay. Not make a recruiting run and duck for cover. I realized that we will not make everyone happy and that negative feedback will occur. I accept that and to some extent value it. It is a tool that I can use to evaluate and work to improve the company.

As hard as I may try, I do take some things personally. I do not regret that. I love my company and I care about my fleet.

I am disappointed in a number of the comments concerning operations. Even if only 50% of them are correct it is still far to high a number for me. I have addressed firmly my thoughts to my operations team this morning. I know how I treat people, and I expect my staff to treat each other and our fleet the same way plain and simple. I may write the paychecks, but it is the work of the fleet that funds them.

The last few weeks have seen lower numbers. This is not a Load One issue, it is a general slow down. I see the composite carrier numbers and I know exactly where we stand in relation to a large sampling of the industry. We are slower, but still trending above the composite average of our competitors. I have no issue showing anyone the charts/averages if they stop by my office. The irony is that the last month we have seen recruiting calls and applications go through the roof from units at other carriers not getting miles. For those of you that joined the Load One team in the last month or two, I am sorry about the timing. But I am confident it slowed down at the carrier you left behind as well.

We do a number of things that are not in our contract. Layover, Deadhead, paying fuel tax, and paying higher percents on some loads. Why do we do this? To do our best to keep our fleet healthy. Some of these items like layover are almost unheard of in our industry.

We were also hit with some bad timing. At the same time we increased the operations staff by over 4 more people, freight slowed down. That hits me directly as well. As we all generate less revenue my expense for staff, layovers, and deadheads increase. But more importantly when freight is slower, operations is busier. When it is busier, we may have to bid, call or work on 10 possible loads for a unit versus one or two. This makes training harder. At the same time I have honestly never seen more turn downs entered in the system. It is not forced board, but the number of turn down's only increases the work load on operations and does not build good will with the customers. We are an expedite carrier and we need to go where the customer needs us to go. We are all here to serve them and to generate revenue for our units and our company. If we do not service the customer some other lower rate carrier will.

I put myself out there and try to respond as often as possible on here, private message and via email. I have no issue trying to respond to problems as we will make mistakes. We have tried continually to improve based on feedback. The recent in service, out of service macros are an example of this. I can only wonder how people would feel if I posted on here complaining about a unit turning down a good run, or being late for a pick up or ? But, I personally would not do that, it is not who I am, and it is not how I would represent our company.

Good or bad, as long as you choose to fly the Load One flag, it is our company. I am not a quitter, and I will still be working everyday and I will still be here online. I have to wonder if your concerns were addressed directly the same way at other carriers?

Enough of my rambling. I have a job to do on your behalf.

Thank you.

rfields200

Seasoned Expediter
First off I take great pride in Load One and what we have built here. I accepted the fact when I chose to post on here that if you were really going to be different you had to post and stay. Not make a recruiting run and duck for cover. I realized that we will not make everyone happy and that negative feedback will occur. I accept that and to some extent value it. It is a tool that I can use to evaluate and work to improve the company.

As hard as I may try, I do take some things personally. I do not regret that. I love my company and I care about my fleet.

I am disappointed in a number of the comments concerning operations. Even if only 50% of them are correct it is still far to high a number for me. I have addressed firmly my thoughts to my operations team this morning. I know how I treat people, and I expect my staff to treat each other and our fleet the same way plain and simple. I may write the paychecks, but it is the work of the fleet that funds them.

The last few weeks have seen lower numbers. This is not a Load One issue, it is a general slow down. I see the composite carrier numbers and I know exactly where we stand in relation to a large sampling of the industry. We are slower, but still trending above the composite average of our competitors. I have no issue showing anyone the charts/averages if they stop by my office. The irony is that the last month we have seen recruiting calls and applications go through the roof from units at other carriers not getting miles. For those of you that joined the Load One team in the last month or two, I am sorry about the timing. But I am confident it slowed down at the carrier you left behind as well.

We do a number of things that are not in our contract. Layover, Deadhead, paying fuel tax, and paying higher percents on some loads. Why do we do this? To do our best to keep our fleet healthy. Some of these items like layover are almost unheard of in our industry.

We were also hit with some bad timing. At the same time we increased the operations staff by over 4 more people, freight slowed down. That hits me directly as well. As we all generate less revenue my expense for staff, layovers, and deadheads increase. But more importantly when freight is slower, operations is busier. When it is busier, we may have to bid, call or work on 10 possible loads for a unit versus one or two. This makes training harder. At the same time I have honestly never seen more turn downs entered in the system. It is not forced board, but the number of turn down's only increases the work load on operations and does not build good will with the customers. We are an expedite carrier and we need to go where the customer needs us to go. We are all here to serve them and to generate revenue for our units and our company. If we do not service the customer some other lower rate carrier will.

I put myself out there and try to respond as often as possible on here, private message and via email. I have no issue trying to respond to problems as we will make mistakes. We have tried continually to improve based on feedback. The recent in service, out of service macros are an example of this. I can only wonder how people would feel if I posted on here complaining about a unit turning down a good run, or being late for a pick up or ? But, I personally would not do that, it is not who I am, and it is not how I would represent our company.

Good or bad, as long as you choose to fly the Load One flag, it is our company. I am not a quitter, and I will still be working everyday and I will still be here online. I have to wonder if your concerns were addressed directly the same way at other carriers?

Enough of my rambling. I have a job to do on your behalf.

Thank you.
I speak for myself and I think many others. We believe in the company, or we wouldn't be here.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
As a fleet owner I will tell you this, John Elliott is one of the most outstanding guys I know. I have never talked to John's voicemail, as he has always picked up phone for my call. John I don't think you or your staff is saying hey lets make it slow for a few weeks. Load1 is not the only company that is slow at the moment. Rest assured you will be busy really soon when the snow hits, so pray for bad weather. When the weather is bad Expedite carriers get busy. Being a owner operator since 1995 in this business you have to plan for times like this.

The old saying goes, most people don't plan to fail they fail to plan. So drivers don't get mad at Load1 and start posting negative post because it's slow.

Remember: " the toes you step on today, may be attached to the butt you are kissing tomorrow "

Last edited:

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I choose not to focus my energy on negativity. It just is one of the least productive and damaging things in life.
Has it been slower for us? Yup. But I look around and see the general malaise in the economy, and look at ways to improve my lot in life. Then I wait for the phone to ring and start to drive...

As far as operations, a load I was on yesterday took almost 9 hrs to clear customs, and as frustrated as I was I only received help from dispatch, as they repeatedly tried to resolve the issue (It ended up being a power outage at the brokers main office prevented changes from showing up on CBP's computers). A long email from M Bayko this morning confirmed exactly what the broker in Port Huron showed me last night. What I take from that day of frustration is positive. That there were people upstairs trying to help me goes a long way in my book.
And now it's time for more coffee :p

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Before I came to Load 1, I wasn't doing all that bad where I was..yea there were issues, but I was there and change wasn't what I was looking for. I had to contractors from Load 1 on me to come over for a few months...I knew Brian and he knew me before I went to Load 1...he told me that with the way I ran, Id make more money drive less and be happier..everything that i was told and had read here was true...

When i bought my new truck, John approached me and told me that he was a bit worried about freight slowing down at the same time I had just spend all that money...Where have any of you ever had the owner care about you to that degree??..his concern was greatly appreciated, but for this truck to make money, is really up to me...the freight offers will come and they came..and i didn't turn anthing down...just like I alway had in the past, thats why Brian could say, "the way you run"...he knew I wasn't going to complain about not getting runs that were "short" or "far and few inbetween".....I just take whats given and run....and i have made more money and driven less in both my CV and the Cargo Max....I will make more money with this year then i have at anytime in this business....

We all got spoiled when things were good, and yeap I was one of the biggest cheerleaders, and I still am and will continue to be...We had a opportunity to get in with Load 1 EXPEDITING on the ground floor...they are still growing and will make mistakes, but those mistakes pale in comparision to the great things that happen here. Its slow, and some have been hit harder then other, and mistakes and or attitudes from others can make that even worse....but everything runs in cycles, it will come back.....

So from my point, while there are issues that I take with a grain of salt at times, and a few that I don't even like and i will remember, but Load 1 is "stuck with me"....I ain't goin no where else.....

Thanks John...and the Whole Load 1 Crew....

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I told John that if any of the Load1 drivers called me at my office I would more than willing to try to fine loads for their trucks. John has gave us some good advice many times and I don't mind helping a fellow expediter find a load for there truck. Feel free to call our office if you need help finding a load. The number for our office is 330-723-5100.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Thanks Dave. We don't generally have a system like Panther where a driver can get his own load but help is never turned away! :D

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Very well said John. You should be very proud of your accomplishments.

I don't know about other posts because I don't read them or every thread but what I posted had
nothing to do with loads or money, but rather unprofessional treatment.

If you would like me to share with you those experiences that others have shared with me by email. I won't give you their names, but I will give you the names of those in operations. I will also share with you some of my own accounting.

Let me know if you would like this info.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
well john, we are one of the teams who recently started and you us us apologies for nothing. expedite is expedite, take it when its there and set through the tough times. anyone who takes on this beast without diligent research or lets that be clouded by $$$$ signs get what they deserve. we survive on our own merits. people seem to forget that you are running a business just as we are and have to weather through the slow times also and make ends meet. granted, on a grander scale than ours, but expenses are expenses and everyone has them. so has already stated, thanks to you and the entire staff. now on to the rest of my rant and what i want people to to listen to.

the subject of slow freight or thinking that you are setting because someone isnt looking for you a load or you are being singled out or that load one is spreading the wealth has the practice has been called. i have heard some of these over this recent slow time and i would simply just like to say GROW UP or quit being so paranoid. there is no conspiracy against you. some of the reasons i hear people state for why they are slow just aggravates the he!! out of me. this is expedite another form of legalized gambling. sometimes you hit the jackpot and sometimes you lose it. load one dispatch is looking to book loads for every truck, van and sprinter. sometimes its just not there, unless of course you want them to cheap up just to get you a load. personally, we dont. that is one of the reasons we came to load one. they still think expedited is expedite and not ltl and demand the pay that this service is supposed to have. enough on this subject my blood pressure has already risen enough. HAVE TRUST IN YOUR DISPATCH TEAM. they are not out to get you, well not all of them. { SARCASM, LOL }

next thing, dispatch, admin or any of the rest. sure there are going to be conflicts of interest and bad days, people taking things out of context or a myriad of other problems. you have to talk to these people. resolve your differences and find a way to work together. take the time to approach the problem and have an intelligent conversation about it. keeping in mind that there are two sides to most problems. attitudes are had by all whether you think so or not. they are like a**holes, we all have one and sometimes they stink. in the end we are adults with faults and we all have to know when to admit these. [ except for me, my wife tells me when to do this and i do ] we all need to go along way before we run and tell the boss on someone. work your problems out. the civil approach works as long as all parties involved listen.

in closing, we have only been with load one since 8/3 of this year but i have the utmost trust in the people we work with. do i have problems with these people, YES, and two that need addressing at the next opportunity. have i had a few words, yes. have there been any repercussions, no. we all have a job to do. we have had this philosophy for the last 11 years we have been in this business. we are still here so it must work. cmon people.

WE ALL ARE LOAD ONE

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Life's not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow.

If you want success, then don't rely on other people to do what YOU can do!

I know it seems hard sometimes but remember one thing. Through every dark night, theres a bright day after that. So no matter how hard it gets, stick your chest out, keep ya head up.... and handle it.

This one for John...

Good business leaders create a vision, articulate the vision, passionately own the vision, and relentlessly drive it to completion......:)

Last edited:

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Absofrickinlutely !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Life's not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow.

If you want success, then don't rely on other people to do what YOU can do!

I know it seems hard sometimes but remember one thing. Through every dark night, theres a bright day after that. So no matter how hard it gets, stick your chest out, keep ya head up.... and handle it.

This one for John...

Good business leaders create a vision, articulate the vision, passionately own the vision, and relentlessly drive it to completion......:)

I married a wise man!:)

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Thanks Dave. We don't generally have a system like Panther where a driver can get his own load but help is never turned away! :D

John, I would get the driver a load and call Chuck or Mary with the information, they can set it up. Would that work sir?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Once again: kudos to John Elliot for putting it out there. It's been tough, but that's part of every life, no matter who you are - what matters is how you deal with it.
I'm staying with the best carrier I know of, because we too are Load 1. :)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
do the math..IF 30 CV's and sprinters sit 2 days it costs Load 1.....$3,000.....and if 30 straights sit as well....=$4,500 that is $7,500 in one whack.....so you really thinks he wants us to be sitting? And 1 step further say they all only do 1 little load and sit yet another 2 days...that is...$15,000...:eek:

So a straight could make $300 a week for doing absolutely NOTHING...:cool:

IbeTrucken

Seasoned Expediter
I have two words for you John Elliott and that this "THANK YOU", and to everyone at Load-1. I have been expediting for 5 years now and have been with a few different carries and by far no other carrier as done for me and for my family what you and everyone at Load-1 has done. It would make me very happy to know that every O\o-driver would feel the same way I do but I understand that maybe Load-1 is not for everyone and if your that unhappy here, for what ever reason then maybe you should think about moving on to another carrier that will make you happy. If you think you can get more loads, more money, more miles some place else then please go for it there is no lock on this gate.

Last edited:

IbeTrucken

Seasoned Expediter
I have two words for you John Elliott and that this "THANK YOU", and to everyone at Load-1. I have been expediting for 5 years now and have been with a few different carries and by far no other carrier as done for me and for my family what you and everyone at Load-1 has done. It would make me very happy to know that every O\o-driver would feel the same way I do but I understand that maybe Load-1 is not for everyone and if your that unhappy here, for what ever reason then maybe you should think about moving on to another carrier that will make you happy. If you think you can get more loads, more money, more miles some place else then please go for it there is no lock on this gate.