OTR Laptops?

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There's probably those still using motorola bag phones. Personally, I've embraced smartphones.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
There's probably those still using motorola bag phones. Personally, I've embraced smartphones.

Isn't it ironic that the vast majority of the content that causes the embracing of smartphones, is created on a desktop or a laptop?

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Re: the $1 Coke at McDonalds:

...and it would be better than anything Lady Gaga's ever done.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I dunno. She was pretty funny on SNL the other night. Her impression of Chrissy Snow from Three's Company was spot on. :D

crashcart

Active Expediter
TY all for the responses! Possibly considering a desktop computer after all. For sheer speed and storage ability.
Likely I want it for down-time game playing. We'll have a laptop as well though for daily use...GPS, Accounting.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I have considered buying a desktop computer and just mounting the monitor and a small keyboard on my laptop Ram stand that i use now, while putting the "tower" behind the drivers seat....I have seen a few people usinf desktops out on the road...

Last edited:

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The Google Chromebooks will be put wed (June 15) I think I am going to give one a try. Cloud here I come.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
With my Droid I rarely use my laptop....it only gets used to watch movies.....I.can do everything in the palm of my hand ...no need to bring out that big ole clunky laptop....

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I have considered buying a desktop computer and just mounting the monitor and a small keyboard on my laptop Ram stand that i use now, while putting the "tower" behind the drivers seat....I have seen a few people usinf desktops out on the road...

Always wonderd How the hard drive would hold up after time....with all that bumping and banging???

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
Toshiba has the shock absorbing technology
I have Toshiba Satellite as well

EasyGuard® Security | Research Center | Toshiba

I had a toshiba satellite as well. Went through 4 motherboards, I bought a dell D600 used off of craigslist for 150.00 and have been using it for over 2 yrs. now problem free. It does what I need it to do.

Next one will be used off of craigslist too. To many good used one's out there to pay the high dollar for a new one.

JimF51

Seasoned Expediter
Have a 4+ yr old Dell Inspiron laptop for running my MS Streets and Trips, it sits on a plate mounted to a home made pipe stand the former driver made. Still working just fine. Have a newer Dell Inspiron for entertainment and online use, have had no problems at all.

Have a 1T external HD at home, do a back up to it each time i'm home.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
My 6 year old dropped on the ground a few times, sitting on the floor laptop is still going. I had a panisonic tough book that was going to replace the HP but it up and just vanished when someone got into my pickup, but that was made for harsh environment.

Now I am getting a 12 volt fanless atom MB with a solid state drive that will be going in the truck but I have not decided on what OS to use.

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
Now I am getting a 12 volt fanless atom MB with a solid state drive that will be going in the truck but I have not decided on what OS to use.

Don't have a clue what that is Greg. Sounds expensive but I like the solid state drive part.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

Don't have a clue what that is Greg. Sounds expensive but I like the solid state drive part.

Well glad you asked. I didn't know how to approach it to explain what I have been up to. This is my second truck computer, the first was removed earlier this year when I went on a remodeling rampage.

I am starting with a simple mini computer mother board setup from OEM productions. The cost is about $150 with shipping.

Then I am putting in as much memory as I can - cost is less than $100.

Then the solid state drive to run the OS is a Patriot 32gb solid state drive that I have been using for a bit. You can't get it anymore from Tigerdirect but you can get the Patriot 64gb drive for about $200. They are faster than conventional drives and hold up to a lot of shock. If you have a newer laptop that takes SATA drives, you can replace your existing drive with this and do what I am doing ... I have another 2.5 inch conventional hard drive that I use for backup data and music that will go with me when I am out of the truck. It costs $125 with the external hard case and it plugs right in as a usb drive. When I get home, I hook it up to the home computer and back it up.

The monitor is a cheap LCD monitor that is now $65 at Best Buy. I have the mount for it so it can sit in the cab and I can easily put in the second monitor in the sleeper to watch movies.

The issue for me is this, what OS do I run. I won't get into that.

So this is isn't as bad as a laptop, seeing how people drop them (like me) all the time. I have an Acer that tumbled from a coffee table onto a carpeted floor and now have to replace the smashed screen. Too delicate.

Oh before I forget, if you have a laptop, you can run this system and use wifi to access it from say the truck stop.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Not being a computer wiz, aren't there really only two OS's
Windows and Apple? or are you talking about which Windows version to run

BTW for my truck I ran an HP mini with the solid state drive, but it's a very very small drive, 16K

cranis

Expert Expediter
Driver
I use carbonite.com. It is only around $55 a year. and they use various servers, so as if 1 fails they others have your info. It may take a while for the initial back-up but it will back-up all of your files except programs. I used this when my HD crashed and got all my files and pics back. Also can get specific files from any computer.

Online Backup

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I use carbonite.com. It is only around $55 a year. and they use various servers, so as if 1 fails they others have your info. It may take a while for the initial back-up but it will back-up all of your files except programs. I used this when my HD crashed and got all my files and pics back. Also can get specific files from any computer.

Online Backup

Carbonite is a good service, I've recommended it to quite a few people, I believe if you go to RushLimbaugh.com you can get a discount on it :)