Original Thinking CR-unit

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I spotted this truck at a Flying J in Wisconsin the other day. Got a chance for a few quick photos but not to chat with the driver. Whoever thought this one up is an original thinker indeed. I kinda like it.

Attachments

• CR3156-01.jpg
    CR3156-01.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 72
  • CR3156-02.JPG
    CR3156-02.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 74
  • CR3156-04.JPG
    CR3156-04.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 43
  • CR3156-07.JPG
    CR3156-07.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 65

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't personally like it at all however it does show thinking outside the box. If it's what they like and want then more power to them. Cut the pickles and onions please.

(That's a generic reference to different tastes for different folks for anyone lacking an unusual CPU (cerebral processing unit)).

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
One of our trucks saw this today in Wisconsin. I quess they are still there? I have to admit, its the first time I have seen a sleeper installed backwards.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Phil,

That is different, this makes too much sense when you really think about it, who needs that extra height in the back, it is needed up front. I wonder what this would be like if it was a walk through sleeper?

But I have state something, I think taking pictures of trucks without the owners permission is not a good idea, especially if you don't talk to the owner(s) themselves. They may be under load or they may not want to have pictures taken for a number of reasons and especially in todays world, when taking pictures can be construed as a no no for security reasons. Even if you change the pictures and obscure license, the truck is really easy to id and this is where the problem is for many.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
While on a p/u last August I met the couple that I believe had this unit built.
They are long time expediters who really liked Volvo and over head reefer units.
The condo maker said they would have to go with a different design as it would
prevent the reefer from being installed.
The driver came up with the suggestion to turn the condo around.
Looks like it worked.
dave t
dabluzman
DR4426

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Phil Madsen - Stalkerazzi Extraordinaire

If you can see there, you can photograph there.

28_1_19.gif

If you don't want to be photographed, don't go out in public.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I'll be honest with ya. You couldn't give me that thing. Why would I want a RV with a big white walk in closet on the back? Plus I wouldn't put that expensive of a sleeper on that cheap of a chasis. Sorry I have 0 faith in a Volvo.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Turtle,
Are you saying it is all right?

Greg, of course it's all right.

Putting aside the fact that a truck has no expectation of privacy when it's parked out in the open in the middle of a truck stop parking lot, a commercial motor vehicle is by its very nature pretty much the opposite of a low profile vehicle, what with the DOT identifying numbers on the door, the carrier advertising on the box, and the fleet truck numbers on the sides. Such a vehicle cannot hide in plain sight. It's got "Look at me!" written all over it, especially that one in particular, with the eye-catching, double-take, less-than conventional sleeper, not to mention having the most recognizable logo in the world on its side.

That truck is a Kodak Moment on wheels.

Like I said, tho, if you don't want to be photographed, don't go out in public. A truck out in the public view, say, in a truck stop parking lot, there is no difference between standing there and looking at the truck, and in standing there and photographing the truck. You, me, and countless others are photographed daily, by security cameras, red light cameras, television news cameras, cell phone cameras, and, of course, by Phil.

Anything in public view is fair game to be photographed, with very, very few exceptions (mostly military bases). If you can be there, you can photograph there, and even if you can't be there, if you can still see there, you can photograph there. A photograph of a truck in public view poses no more of a security risk than the truck being in public view in the first place.