one ton cargo van,dodge 3500

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Im new,all I got is a one ton dodge cargo van d3500, for small deliveries, does anyone in here have any input as to loads available to me as this is small potatoes compared to big rigs i read about in here.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Take the time to go back through the forums. You'll find that it's really tough for vans right now.

ACEofSpades

Seasoned Expediter
skyraider,
You need to get leased on with a company like Panther. They will get you loaded.....not saying you'll get many loads , but you'll get something. It would be almost impossible to go at this alone. You need a company that is already established to lease with so they can provide the QualComm system and send work your way. If you want to try it by yourself check out the loadboards...... but most of the companies on there will NOT send anything out to an individual, They need to know that what they are shipping IS insured at it's full value. Websites like U Ship have people wanting to move their belongings to another city and things like that BUT you still need to be able to provide insurance for the customer. Also if you plan to cross state lines as a " For Hire" carrier you will need DOT #'s and need to pay fuel taxes ( I know this is true for s/t and t/t but not 100% about vans). Call around to the different companies listed on this website and ask them if they are leasing vans right now. I know Panther was a few weeks ago. I did a little Hot Shot work and I can tell you that any customer with half a brain WILL require their freight to be insured. Also, as was mentioned before, the age of your van is important too. The shipper and consignee need to know that their very important freight is in a van that can make it to it's destination. I too, am new to expediting ,but, I signed on with a straight truck owner who was already leased with Panther. Many people say now is not the time to get in this business, and they may be right. However you have the cheapest exepditing vehicle out there....the cargo van, while it may not get you the high paying loads, it costs the least to operate. All I can say about getting started is.....DON'T DREAM OF HITTING IT BIG IN A MONTH AND OWNING A FLEET OF 20 VANS BY THE END OF YOUR FIRST YEAR. That COULD happen but it more than likely will not. If you do get leased on you need to go at this understanding that for a while you will not make much $$, especially with the economy in the tank. Money is out here to be made but you really have to use your head and work for it. I made $450 this week in a s/t. I sat for 4 days, and we have a 98.5% acceptance rate. Next week I may make $1000 or maybe $100 there is no way of knowing. I am NOT trying to scare you off, I am thinking of buying a c/v myself to start building a fleet of my own, I just don't want to see anyone loose their shirt out here. I say ..if you can afford it .....go for it! Let me know if there is anything I can help you with.

Best of luck,
ACE

guido4475

Not a Member
Take the time to go back through the forums. You'll find that it's really tough for vans right now.
Happy easter,Mr. highway star! I'm not calling anyone a liar on here, but I just don't get it.The last 7 loads that I have hauled in my 10-wheeler have been cargo van loads,paying over a dollar a mile.And the load board last week was full of van loads.I actually turned down 3 van loads while in mcallen, tx, before getting the 1,400 miler to North Carolina.I'm on my way home now to park this truck and pick up my cargo van on fri.These loads all had the ability to unload and load on the ground as well.It makes no sense to me to be driving all of this truck around for van freight, when that is mostly what I end up hauling anyway.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Its all relative..whats ok for me may not be ok for someone else.;)

Dodge Van? I do believe 2000 was the last year they were made when the Sprinter was Badged Dodge...that makes yours about 9 years old?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree with Guido on this issue....theres more C/V loads out there...but carriers are loading up their straights to keep them moving...I hear it from straight drivers all the time...
C/V's are the bottom of the food chain...:(

Hate the Straight!!:D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
2003 was the last year for the vans.

That late? How time flies...;)

From Wiki

The Dodge Ram Van was a full-size van marketed under the Dodge brand by the Chrysler Corporation (1979-1998) and later Daimler Chrysler (1998-2003). The Ram Van, which was a cargo van, was also available in a passenger van version known as the Dodge Ram Wagon.

Last edited:

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Happy easter,Mr. highway star! I'm not calling anyone a liar on here, but I just don't get it.The last 7 loads that I have hauled in my 10-wheeler have been cargo van loads,paying over a dollar a mile.And the load board last week was full of van loads.I actually turned down 3 van loads while in mcallen, tx, before getting the 1,400 miler to North Carolina.I'm on my way home now to park this truck and pick up my cargo van on fri.These loads all had the ability to unload and load on the ground as well.It makes no sense to me to be driving all of this truck around for van freight, when that is mostly what I end up hauling anyway.

A happy holiday to you as well. You've touched on one of the problems with being in a cargo van. Vans loads will sometimes be offered to straight trucks. It may be at the request of the shipper or consignee, or it may be so the company can move a straight truck, a truck that is more valuable to them. 2 skids will even go on a T/T from time to time. If I were in McAllen right now, I'd probably take the van load instead of waiting for something that could be a long time coming. In good times, of course I'd wait for the better payer. Glad you got a good one! Have fun on your run.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
A happy holiday to you as well. You've touched on one of the problems with being in a cargo van. Vans loads will sometimes be offered to straight trucks. It may be at the request of the shipper or consignee, or it may be so the company can move a straight truck, a truck that is more valuable to them. 2 skids will even go on a T/T from time to time. If I were in McAllen right now, I'd probably take the van load instead of waiting for something that could be a long time coming. In good times, of course I'd wait for the better payer. Glad you got a good one! Have fun on your run.

Star...glad you agree..most experienced expediters know where CV's are on the evolutionary scale! It doesn't seem right but thats the biz...we deal with it!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I kinda like my little man cave....:D

I must still be evolving? My forehead keeps getting bigger trying to catch up with the hairline!*LOL*:eek:

MCBuggyCo

Seasoned Expediter
One thing I have read about the Dodge vans is that the rear door is not tall enough to accommodate a 4" tall skid.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Rear doors on the Dodge have latches top & bottom that reduce the height. I removed the bottom latch, [was pretty beat up anyhow, from forklifts dropping skids on it], which allowed a 48" skid to squeak in.