One Man Fight to Save the Expedited Trucking Industry

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
I have been part of 4 different unions and not a damned one of them helped me keep my job ....

Take that " union solidarity" noise and forget about it
He wasn't saying we all need to run down an join a union,he was expressing himself on "were all in this together,"statement.I can assume he thinks as bread winner for his family he better off being a non union worker.Anyway he sounds like a person that thinks business is business and this issue is not effecting him.The part about the knife your guess is good as mine.Four unions is a lot to work under,I've never join a labor union but the ones deliver to in the past the workers seem to march to a different drummer.If I was getting $25 hour to sweep the floor I think I have a smile on my face.When the Union was a good deal way back when they work a guy long hours and very little pay.I today world Unions are weak they don't have power they once had.Big business happy now all the jobs are in Mexico there getting products made for less money more profit for them.Now we are hauling what they need for less money because these trucks running under the radar, they seem to know there percentage of getting pulled over is slim.Don't think one minute the company your sign on with is not aware of this and there margin are less.There hoping they don't become a force to deal with and start there own Expedite Company and flood the market with trucks and drivers and start pushing them out.It could happen business is business.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Keep in mind that Bushmaster Firearms is currently being sued because of the Newtown Sandy Hook shooting. This, despite the 2005 Bush era law, the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, which gives gun makers broad immunity against prosecution (if gun makers are sued out of business, the military will be forced to buy guns from other countries).

The lawsuit uses, interestingly enough, the "negligent entrustment" legal principal, which states that it’s negligent to give a dangerous object to a person not able to handle the risk. While other lawsuits have focused on problems with the sale of a gun, this one claims that by introducing the Bushmaster AR-15 gun into the marketplace in the first place, the manufacturer should be held liable.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Keep in mind that Bushmaster Firearms is currently being sued because of the Newtown Sandy Hook shooting. This, despite the 2005 Bush era law, the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, which gives gun makers broad immunity against prosecution (if gun makers are sued out of business, the military will be forced to buy guns from other countries).

The lawsuit uses, interestingly enough, the "negligent entrustment" legal principal, which states that it’s negligent to give a dangerous object to a person not able to handle the risk. While other lawsuits have focused on problems with the sale of a gun, this one claims that by introducing the Bushmaster AR-15 gun into the marketplace in the first place, the manufacturer should be held liable.
Bringing a suit against Bushmaster is a lawyer's play for deep pockets.

Reactions: jelliott

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Bringing a suit against Bushmaster is a lawyer's play for deep pockets.
Clearly (although I will admit there might be the motivation for some, to put gun manufacturers out of business, in addition to the motivation of money). Just like when they go after a carrier when the driver is at fault - they're looking for big, easy money. It's why brokers get sued. The more names you can add to the defendant list, the more money you have a chance of actually collecting.

Reactions: jelliott

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A word to the wise: If you want to get anywhere with this, you're just gonna have to get off of your "Russian" kick. As long as you make it about Russian drivers, you're dead in the water. All you end up achieving is to make you sound like an incurable racist, and however sound the rest of what you're trying to do is, you're stopped by your own apparent racism/nationalism. Nobody in positions of authority will take you seriously as long as they think you're on this because of Russians.

If you make this about ridding the roads of unfit drivers/trucks, you stand a chance. Tell people it's about Russian drivers, you're stopped before you get started. Capiche?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If only Joe McCarthy was still in power. We have them Ruskies on the first boat out of town.

The other day I delivered a load the same time two other drivers were delivering. Both of them Russian. One was driving a Cargo Max, thanks to the advice given him by Chef Dennis, and the other was driving a RAM Promaster. Both were former yellow Penske truck drivers. One is leased to XPO, the other to Bolt.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
A word to the wise: If you want to get anywhere with this, you're just gonna have to get off of your "Russian" kick. As long as you make it about Russian drivers, you're dead in the water. All you end up achieving is to make you sound like an incurable racist, and however sound the rest of what you're trying to do is, you're stopped by your own apparent racism/nationalism. Nobody in positions of authority will take you seriously as long as they think you're on this because of Russians.

If you make this about ridding the roads of unfit drivers/trucks, you stand a chance. Tell people it's about Russian drivers, you're stopped before you get started. Capiche?

I agree completely. It is all about legal and compliant and a fair and level playing field. Not nationality. All that does is distract from the message.

Reactions: vandriver2

deadhead

Veteran Expediter

Pal, it seem to me a very few seem to take this issue seriously, you can call it racist you can it anything you wish, this is a very small path that I'm walking on,where its leads at this time is unknown, you can tell my approach is wrong,however if people here feel that this issue isn't effecting them in anyway,I like to have some of what they been smokin. I'm once again sorry you feel this way I guess it be better if they where from Mexico were use to them being here and doing jobs Americans want do.Press 1 for English Press2 for Spanish.I hope we never have to Press3!!!!!

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So, tell me: How well has the anti-Mexican thing been working? Seen fewer Mexican workers in any field they get hired into? I'll tell you straight: Making this about Russians is a dead end. It only makes you sound like a bigot, and nobody with any "book larnin'" pays much attention to bigots.

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
If only Joe McCarthy was still in power. We have them Ruskies on the first boat out of town.

The other day I delivered a load the same time two other drivers were delivering. Both of them Russian. One was driving a Cargo Max, thanks to the advice given him by Chef Dennis, and the other was driving a RAM Promaster. Both were former yellow Penske truck drivers. One is leased to XPO, the other to Bolt.
I meet the one in the Ram Promaster,did he tell you he had three more new vans and his sons just started to drive.They were hoping to get on with Panther. That Joe McCarthy was that Charlie McCarthy father?

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
So, tell me: How well has the anti-Mexican thing been working? Seen fewer Mexican workers in any field they get hired into? I'll tell you straight: Making this about Russians is a dead end. It only makes you sound like a bigot, and nobody with any "book larnin'" pays much attention to bigots.
You raised this bigot thing.You guys wouldn't be ganging up on me would you? Seems like it.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Deadhead,
While your intentions may be just, it doesn't come across to others the way you present it. As others have said, it is only one piece of a larger problem. And focusing on this one group of people, only makes your goal seem to have less than admirable motivation behind it.
By the way, I shouldn't have to press anything for English.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I meet the one in the Ram Promaster,did he tell you he had three more new vans and his sons just started to drive.They were hoping to get on with Panther. That Joe McCarthy was that Charlie McCarthy father?

No, that was his only van. He's had it for 6 weeks now. He's not real happy with Bolt because they keep offering him 70 and 80 cents a mile loads to go to Laredo. He had previously been with Nations Express, and was from North Carolina, and he asked me about Load One since this entire conversation took place a few hours after the announcement of the merger between Load One and Nations Express.

My point is, not all Russians are engaging in illegal practices out here, nor are they responsible for undercutting your rates. The point you are conveying, whether intentionally or not, is that all Russians need to be eliminated from the Expedite industry because they're bad for business.

While it's true that is the Russians who are the most organized and ubiquitous at gaming the system and skirting the rules, it is not true that all, or even the majority of them, are involved in the practice. The simple act of owning their own van and leasing it exclusively to a major carrier removes them from the group you are so Hell bent against. Because, they aren't doing, nor can they do, the very things you are complaining about, like no insurance and undercutting rates.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Roamin that's the impression I got from the very first post. It also seems if people don't 100% agree then they are against him.

That's how it seems.

Singling them out is like replacing 4 flat tires on a car that doesn't run, it only fixes part of the problem, and not the major part either.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjmsprt40

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
No, that was his only van. He's had it for 6 weeks now. He's not real happy with Bolt because they keep offering him 70 and 80 cents a mile loads to go to Laredo. He had previously been with Nations Express, and was from North Carolina, and he asked me about Load One since this entire conversation took place a few hours after the announcement of the merger between Load One and Nations Express.

My point is, not all Russians are engaging in illegal practices out here, nor are they responsible for undercutting your rates. The point you are conveying, whether intentionally or not, is that all Russians need to be eliminated from the Expedite industry because they're bad for business.

While it's true that is the Russians who are the most organized and ubiquitous at gaming the system and skirting the rules, it is not true that all, or even the majority of them, are involved in the practice. The simple act of owning their own van and leasing it exclusively to a major carrier removes them from the group you are so Hell bent against. Because, they aren't doing, nor can they do, the very things you are complaining about, like no insurance and undercutting rates.
I have never said that all are engaging in illegal practice those are your words.The issue once again are the one that are in illegal practices and we can bring this to the light.Your words again about putting them on a boat,and eliminated them from Expedite industry. Being a Staff Member at this forum seem to make you and expert on everything to do with expediting,why is that,I assume you do drive.Why do you always find a way bring you point of view into play. Moderator position seems to come with a lot latitude as to how you feel and how you can treat members you disagree with.I didn't come here to being ill well and get into a pissing match with anyone. Please don't call me a bigot for that I'm not. I'm maybe overzealous in trying to get support on this issue.

Reactions: davekc

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think you addressed your own concern. We understand your message, but the delivery is getting interpreted as a racist rant.

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
No No never wanted it to be conceived as a racist rant. I can't help what members want to think or how they react!