ON and QC speed limiter

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
There was previous discussion regarding this here:
http://www.expeditersonline.com/for...orum/34117-canada-speed-limiters-what-do.html
and here:
http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/border-crossings/34369-canadian-laws.html
The actual wording of the new 'law' is included in those threads.

Note, the law doesn't apply to anything under 26000# GVWR.

Personally, I wouldn't do a whole lot of anything about this right now, at least until half way through the year when they start issuing fines. In the meantime, see what happens.

OOIDA was supposed to challenge this law in court, but obviously had to wait until the law was actually in effect before doing so, and it only came into effect on January 1st.

They can't expect American truckers to pay to have their settings changed, each time they pass into and out of Ontario. At some point I should hope it will be clarified as to how a trucker will be able to change it regularly, legally, without a whole lot of undue expense.

There are articles in OOIDA's LandLine Magazine, there is a facebook website set up, there is a protest scheduled for March 2nd at Queen's Park, things are happening, wait to see if something comes of it.

This 6 month period is an 'educational period', so let's get educated before we make any permanent decisions.

http://www.landlinemag.com/todays_news/Daily/2009/Jan09/012609/012609-04.htm

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Ok, this is real simple, dear ontario and quebec you are not my only customer. and all the other customers want their freight on time. so im sorry to say that your freight will either be sitting at a warehouse in buffalo, or detroit, or on the shippers dock. was nice while it lasted, and i love canadian bacon.
yall have allowed cars to drive like maniacs, and picked on trucks one time to many. i don't mean to be offensive but i am NOT turning my truck down. and if the states do this as well, i will go home.

Your reply will be something like this "Dear termite289 , the OTA wishes to thank you for deciding to not haul freight into Canada . Our member carriers will be happy to increase our revenue picking up this freight . The Speed Limiter Bill is serving its purpose "

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
consider this. some ecm contain history. If you run 113 km/h legally in Michigan and the OPP sees 113km in their scanner, they just might consider you sped in ON and give a ticket. Good luck explaining.
Yup .... that's what I thought .... jus' talkin' ....

Hey - what's that noise ? ...... ahhh, just as I thought ... black helicopters coming over the horizon ...

so im sorry to say that your freight will either be sitting at a warehouse in buffalo, or detroit, or on the shippers dock.
Probably not. Personally, it's fine with me if any of ya'll don't wanna ..... 11 of my last 27 have either been into or out of Canada .....

im slower than normal.
Just stay down here in the States and continue whine about how bad freight is ..... I'll be laughin' all the way to ... well, you know where ...

It is true that I don't have to comply with the law because of my vehicle size .... but I can tell ya - if I ran a big truck I would not let this law stop me from going if the loads were profitable.

Crazy,

You pretty much nailed it .... pretty funny .... law was probably enacted to do just exactly that (I heard the big Canadian companies pushed for it) .... and the response of the very people who it was designed to push out of the Canadian freight market is ...... exactly what the Canadian carriers want to have happen .... almost hilarious ...... yup, that's the very way I'd pursue to expand and grow my business .... serve less markets and go to less places ....

Really makes ya wonder ....

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Listen RLENT, just be happy that this law might be good for YOUR business but don't chastise the ones that have made the decision to not go to Canada based on what is best for THEIR business.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Listen RLENT, just be happy that this law might be good for YOUR business but don't chastise the ones that have made the decision to not go to Canada based on what is best for THEIR business.

How is not going to Canada best for your business?

(This is a good-faith question as we consider the question ourselves. Spending $100 to dial down your truck to continue servicing Ontario and Quebec seems simple enough. How is it best for your business to avoid Ontario, Quebec and the rest of Canada?)

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well, I for one would love to hear from you Piper1 when you get the info. Thank you again for you help. I just wish I could get comortable about the safety aspect. Layoutshooter

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
How is not going to Canada best for your business?

(This is a good-faith question as we consider the question ourselves. Spending $100 to dial down your truck to continue servicing Ontario and Quebec seems simple enough. How is it best for your business to avoid Ontario, Quebec and the rest of Canada?)

Well for one big reason,there is usually not enough pay on these runs as it is to make them worthwhile. It seems that we almost always have to make a counter offer to get the pay to a reasonable and profitable level.

And now we are talking about another expense associated with accepting a load there,and the added hassle of going to a truck dealer not once,but twice.

As I have stated before on other threads on this subject,our truck does not even shift into 6th gear until 67 mph so just setting the speed once and leaving it is not an option for us.

Also,Ontario has become a wasteland for loads going back to the U.S. for us and we now no longer waste time waiting for a load that may or may not appear. Quebec is better for return loads so we will wait it out there.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am not sure if Phil understood what I meant. The one price I heard, not confirmed yet, was $100 to dial down going in and $100 to dial back up coming out. It would have to pay very well to give up $200 bucks on a load, not to mention the time involed. I would also be willing to bet that many of the smaller crossing areas will not have shops that can do that kind of work, on all engines at the hours you might need it done. I can see where the things Piper1 is looking at might be the only way that makes sense. I don't EVER see us dialing down and leaving it that way all the time. Layoutshooter

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
A savvy mechanic with the right tools could make some nice pocket change sitting at major ports switching trucks back and fourth for say $25 a pop.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think it would be easier to just ban Canadian trucks in the US, and let them have all of the Canadian freight. Good for the economy as Detroit would turn into another Laredo.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
For your information, there is supposed to be a protest on Monday. Hopefully a lot of trucks will show up. Protest will take place in Toronto at Queen's Park. If you're sitting nearby waiting on a load, come out and show your support in protesting the new law.
Personally, I'm finding the lack of coverage disappointing.

http://www.landlinemag.com/todays_news/Daily/2009/Jan09/012609/012609-04.htm

I also came across this link which gives information on who to contact to express your concerns.

http://www.landlinenow.com/2009/01/snow-job-in-great-white-north-speed.html

Last edited:

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It is true that I don't have to comply with the law because of my vehicle size .... but I can tell ya - if I ran a big truck I would not let this law stop me from going if the loads were profitable.

If I were still running a cargo van, I'd feel the same way. I've been in and out of Canada many, many times. I never received any kind of premium for doing it. But, it was the bulk of my business at the time, so it was worth it. This added hassle and expense just doesn't make sense for a truck that only gets occasional Canada runs.

"If the loads were profitable" is key here. This added expense should be a deal breaker for someone that only crosses once in a while. Whether it's a C-note to adjust going in, then on the way back out, or many hundreds for what Piper's talking about, that's significant.

Plus, I heard Billies is closed down now, so I can't get those 12oz New York Strips that I loved so much.

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
Wil be interesting to see if the carriers target C units to run the D freight if the dims and weight wil work on a C.

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
Ham is the curing of the meat around the 4 main joints of a hog,bacon is same proses with usually some smoke added to the underbelly and side area f the hog,Canadian bacon is the curing and usually smoking of the loin of the hog,pork loin is where pork chops come from,cured is Canada bacon uncured it is called the pork loin or Canadian back.

The pork loin is one of my favorite meats to play around with,with the right larding or stuffed with a good sausage makes a great roast.maybe with a light Dijon mustard sauce or heaver stone ground mustard sauce ,think Mue mustard or the likes.