ON and QC speed limiter

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
cuz you know and I know the OPP won't usually touch a 4 wheeler unless ya break 119kms....*LOL*

True, but I can see why he wouldn't want to take the chance in our foreign country :)
I figure it's all good if you're behind someone bigger who's going faster.. that's my theory and it works for me ! :D

<pjjjjj touches wood>

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
For those of you with a laptop you can obtain the software to read the scan codes from the ecm and flash it to change the speed limiter settings (well for most vehicles). It only takes a matter of a minute to do. The software, a cable to connect and that's it for many. Cost should be less than $200 and you can use it to read the scan codes for service etc so a handy tool to have. Makes it easier at the garage. So set the limiter on the us side and cross over and then once back in the us set it back to whatever higher limit you want. Most guys stop at the border for customs or for a short stop anyways so it can be done prior to hitting the interstates.

For those wondering who pushed for this law of limiting the speed of transports... well it was a couple of highway saftey groups and the trucking assoc. The assoc was backed by the larger transport companies like challenger, bison, kriska etc. They all wanted the lower speed limit. Considering this is 65mph limit most of you should do good fuel economy.
So we'll see what happens when they start enforcing this.
Rob

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Where is that software available? What about the cables? As to the entire program, speeds etc. We always drive between 55-62mph. We get our best mileage in that range. We have a problem at 55 since that is right at a shift point and the RPM's are a bit too low at that speed and the engine lags. My main concern is still the safety aspect. I have had one or two occasions where I was forced to accelerate quickly to avoid an accident. I THINK it was the U.S. NTSB that came out with a study that said that 20% of the time a vehical needs to avoid an accident they needed to accelerate. There is a very good chance that this program will CAUSE accidents. I still think that enforcing speed limits would be a better solution to the problem. Of course from what I see, most Canadians think the speed limits are too low. I get passed by almost everyone, including the police, when doing 62mph. Layoutshooter

guido4475

Not a Member
gas powered vans?

Where is that software available? What about the cables? As to the entire program, speeds etc. We always drive between 55-62mph. We get our best mileage in that range. We have a problem at 55 since that is right at a shift point and the RPM's are a bit too low at that speed and the engine lags. My main concern is still the safety aspect. I have had one or two occasions where I was forced to accelerate quickly to avoid an accident. I THINK it was the U.S. NTSB that came out with a study that said that 20% of the time a vehical needs to avoid an accident they needed to accelerate. There is a very good chance that this program will CAUSE accidents. I still think that enforcing speed limits would be a better solution to the problem. Of course from what I see, most Canadians think the speed limits are too low. I get passed by almost everyone, including the police, when doing 62mph. Layoutshooter
anyone out here running a gas-powered van? what kind of gas mileage are you averaging? what are the advantages, over diesel, if any? do they use more gas while idling than diesel? just curious.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
For those of you with a laptop you can obtain the software to read the scan codes from the ecm and flash it to change the speed limiter settings (well for most vehicles). It only takes a matter of a minute to do. The software, a cable to connect and that's it for many. Cost should be less than $200 and you can use it to read the scan codes for service etc so a handy tool to have. Makes it easier at the garage. So set the limiter on the us side and cross over and then once back in the us set it back to whatever higher limit you want. Most guys stop at the border for customs or for a short stop anyways so it can be done prior to hitting the interstates.

For those wondering who pushed for this law of limiting the speed of transports... well it was a couple of highway saftey groups and the trucking assoc. The assoc was backed by the larger transport companies like challenger, bison, kriska etc. They all wanted the lower speed limit. Considering this is 65mph limit most of you should do good fuel economy.
So we'll see what happens when they start enforcing this.
Rob

Yeah , and most of the Challenger trucks I see in the U.S. are tailgating and speeding along with the rest of the Ontario based trucks .

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter

There is nothing saying you have to run 105 km/h just because the limiter is set there . The speed limit is 100 km/h . Run at that speed or a little less and you'll be able to accelerate if need be .

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah , and most of the Challenger trucks I see in the U.S. are tailgating and speeding along with the rest of the Ontario based trucks .

Challenger also has an American division now out of Michigan...They do switches there with Can. trucks sometimes...

Also Verspeteen of Ingersol Ont...has a Michigan side now as well.....called Cordell Transportation....

They knew this law was coming 2 years ago...

So in essence this new law has created American jobs.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The difference between 100kph and 105kph is not much of an acceleration. I just am worried by this. Anytime people start fooling with my ability to act or react to a situation I feel that my options are limited. I know best what I need to do. I also see no reason to limit my truck since I don't drive in excess of the speed limit anyway. If I am capable of obeying the law on my own why do I need to castrate my truck? I guess some in the Ont and QC governments just think I am too stupid to follow a speed law. Much like our govenment down here. Always sticking thier noses in other peoples business. Layoutshooter

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Many years ago I drove governed trucks...what a pain...I found it unsafe...I like a little pedal to maybe get out of a tight spot that might pop up....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I kinda felt like it might be unsafe and that is my biggest objection. I also just flat out don't like it when ANY government assumes that I am either a "mental midget" or assumes that I am going to break the law. I am not a scoff-law (yet) and I can follow a speed limit all by myself. I don't need to alter my truck. Maybe someone should be looking into the reasons that the athorities are not enforcing the exsiting laws as they should be. It seems to me that is the reason there is a problem. Maybe it is the government that is either "mental midgets" or just plain lazy. Layoutshooter

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Its all about THE MONEY...Joe....nothing more...

A lot of the mentioned carriers have already put limiters on their trucks to conserve fuel...But independents are beating their butts in competition...so this is the field leveler they think...slow everyone else down...to their level.:mad:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Gee, did anyone ever think about finding ways to encourage thier drivers to slow down on thier own? A most novel approach, eh?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh like a bonus or incentive program? Like if a driver saves 10% of his/her normal fuel useage say over a month, they could get say a 5% bonus and be a happier driver?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Like that. It would never work though. It is much better to yell at them, belittle them and assume that they are stupid and need to be "governed" to be able to slow down. Heaven forbid you explain the problems and needs and ASK them for possible solutions. Do ya think that some good ones might come up? That is asking a lot of some management though, is it not? Layoutshooter

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
cuz you know and I know the OPP won't usually touch a 4 wheeler unless ya break 119kms....*LOL*

Joe it was funny too....;)

its been a few years sine my mo-sport years so i was not aware that there was an allowable overage. i had time in hand and a leisurely drive seemed perfect. then things went south.