OK who did it?

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
Many talked about it, some were forced to do it others wanted to do it, so tell us about it...what I am talking about it holiday freight? Did you have a load for the weekend? Did you sit around waiting? Did you get called while at home, while oos? spill it.

I personally was out of service at home and was called and offered a real sweet weekend load, did not pick up till sat morning and was del. by sunday night at midnight, then pre-loaded for monday morning p/u in Chicago, for straight thru del. to Indy, not to bad to start the week off with.

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
picked up wednesday evening grand rapids went home till thursday evening, delivered to iowa city, iowa then dead headed back to michigan for the weekend

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We delivered in NJ Wednesday afternoon, received an offer a few hours later. That load picked up in NJ on Friday and delivered near Phoenix, AZ Monday morning. Thursday was spent at the Petro truck stop at Bordentown, NJ where we enjoyed a Thanksgiving meal with about a dozen other expediters who were also on the road. Photo of the group:

http://www.expeditersonline.com/dcforum/DCForumID1/6597.html

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
aw man, honda i dislike you. Me would like to get a load to Iowa especially Iowa City or Cedar Rapids.

Me.. Last tuesday dropped off. Sat in memphis till monday morning got a load, place already shipped it off, went back to the truck stop. Slept, Now got another load going to Dallas. But the place i'm at cant find the load.... So yeah.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It hasn't been a great week for me, either - or even a good one. Delivered in Sidney, Oh, last Monday, DH home to Cleveland Tues evening, to renew CDL on Wed, have been waiting in service ever since...
It may be that I've been passed over for possible loads, due to the fact that I need to head to Atlanta, for (more) truck repairs - I don't normally sit this long anywhere.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I delivered a load in Ajax, ON on Wednesday, then later that day got a load out of Ajax for Thanksgiving Day delivery to Lebanon, KY. Ended up sitting all weekend, but got a Monday 0400 load from Morehead, KY down to Jackson, MS.

Slow and steady, even in expediting, wins the race - Aesop

arrbsthw

Expert Expediter
I was Christmas shopping Friday and got a load offer by phone to
pick up on Monday to deliver Tuesday in PA.. now unloaded and waiting
on next load..

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
The company had a run from Concord, NC to Memphis on Sunday. Being first out must not have been good enough tho, as I was passed over. Call it an inconsistant policy on how far one has to be from the load before they're called... or not called.

-A bore is a person who opens his mouth and puts his feats in it. - Henry Ford

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
We got three load offers on Wednesday...we took the one to Florida from Pennsylvania. Unloaded Friday, and got an MT move to South Carolina, where we've been waiting since Sunday night. Oh well, we'll get something.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Nothing this year but last year I loaded The Tue. before in Chattanooga to deliver the Mon. after in Portland and Albany, OR.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
For the past three years we have spent Thanksgiving at a Cracker Barrell and the rest of the weekend in a parking lot nearby. This year we decided to go home. We lucked out getting a load from McAllen TX to Chicago
(nice since we live near STL). But had we stayed out we could have had our choice a eleven runs out of Chicago.

I guess that's the difference in carriers, we had no clue but to rely on past experience with FDCC.

At any rate we had a great holiday with our kids and grandson.:)

And are now back on the road til Christmas and two weeks off.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Thats what I have found with "experienced" contractors. Seems they are unable to adjust to the "new" after they've made the change to the new and different they wanted. It's unfortunate.

grog111

Seasoned Expediter
Ya know coco, it's funny you say that. Last year i was with Landstar and i was offered a load picking up the Wednesday before in Detroit and delivering Friday in Eagle pass. I turned it down though because i have deep feelings about the way this business is run. I mean, we get asked to do alot of things that just don't seem very ethical. I mean, were supposed to work weekends and hold over freight when customers hours don't coincide with traffic or weather. I mean, even Mcdonalds pays over-time after eight hours. And evening work premiums. Whatever happened to double time on Sundays? Or triple time for holidays? Before i go off on a tangent here, let me just say that getting pimped out on holiday's is low on my list of priority's. However, that being said,i actually asked for a long one over the holiday weekend because this year has sucked noodles and I'd like to have a little money for Christmas. But, since I rarely get what "I" want, it didn't happen.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Unethical? Seems to me that you need to step back and take a look at what this business is, and accept it for what it is, rather than try and make it into what you wish it to be.

The five-day work week didn't even exist until about 100 years ago. In some parts of the world the weekend is Friday and Saturday, and in others it's Sunday and Monday, while in still others it's Thursday and Friday. There's nothing inherently unethical about working on the weekend.

Yes, employees at McDonald's get paid overtime after eight hours. You would, too, if you worked there. You need to talk to your employer about getting overtime. I do know that McDonald's doesn't charge the customer more or less money depending on whether the person cooking the fries is on straight-time or overtime, and I'm pretty sure that the carrier you are leased on to will not pay you based on how many hours you've worked, either. If you own the truck you drive, then you're your employer, so ask yourself for overtime. I'm sure you'll get it.

"Whatever happened to double time on Sundays?"

That's an employer/employee thing.

"Or triple time for holidays? "

See above, then talk with your employer.

"...getting pimped out on holiday's is low on my list of priority's"

Welcome to the wonderful world of no-forced dispatch and going Out-Of-Service. You may not get overtime, but you can certainly not work whenever you want.

You are from a place that has, by far, hands down, no doubt about it, not even up for debate, the highest concentration of the best looking women on the planet. I can't imagine how you'd ever have anything to complain about. :p

Slow and steady, even in expediting, wins the race - Aesop

slfisher45

Expert Expediter
I had a great Thanksgiving and didn't take a load until Sunday night.
Then snowballs...........

Grog, Turtle is so rude. He didn't ask if you wanted cheese with that.

I never worked for McDonalds, but I believe they pay overtime after
40 hours in a work week, not 8 hour day.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
I picked up a load wed. night to del fri. morning, since then I have had 4 load offers and they all did not go thru, so no money for me this week

60MPH ALL DAY-EVERY DAY

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
On second glance it does sort of look that way. Nothing over the Thanksgiving holiday this year.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
i didn't

Sat available in Dallas from Wednesday til Tuesday. I was first out from Friday on. Tuesday's first load was a dry run. Tuesday afternoon brought a load from Dallas to Felton, PA. Panther rules of the road had me swapping the load well before Pennsylvania.

So the answer to your question--I sat available the whole holiday in Dallas.

eb

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
RE: i didn't

Made it Home on Tuesday Stayed in Service and was home till Monday Morning.

Owner/Operator since 1979
Expediter since 1997
B Unit Semi Retired
Somedays are Diamonds and Somedays are Stones
Home is Wherever you Park.
The Price of Freedom is Written on the Wall.