OK, Time for some real help

Sawbones

Expert Expediter
Hi, its me again Margaret,
O.K. so, alot of time is spent here going on about smart business planning. And lets not believe for a second that, that is not important. It is.

But here is what I think I need to know now. What does a qualcom message actually look like? What does it tell me? How hard is it to use? Does it have a pager that beeps if you are out of the truck, or is that wishfull thinking? Is this covered in training for the company you are hauling for?

Is there a simple enough equation that someone would love to share? One that says, if X * Y = C and F is this, then you devide c/f and you get profit or loss? X = Miles, Y = Rate per mile, C = cash, and F = fuel? Or some variation of this?

How about when the dispatcher calls ya, and says: "I have a load." What do you need to ask? Is there a set of questions they should answer every time?

How often in the beginning should you and the owner be talking? Daily, twice daily? Can you tell the dispatcher, hang on, I want to run this by my owner?

Is there a cut off of DH? Would that be set by number of miles paid? I assume (hate this word) that if they say D/H for 100 miles and drop in 250 miles, not too could. Right? But if they say D/H 100 miles and then drop in 1100 miles, very good? Considering of course that they are paying a proper amount per mile.

Where is the book that someone was supposedly writing two years ago about expediting? Was'nt that you A-team? Am I senile on that point? I checked at Borders, it was not there in their system!

O.K. Lenghtly I know, but I am tired of seeing the same old questions. How about these actuall day to day operation questions? Can I hear some revebrations on this?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
They are very valid questions but vary widely from carrier to carrier. That is why you see little information on the specifics. Most is covered in the orientation with your respective new carrier. Some companies provide little or vague information, while others are pretty thorough.
Just basic items would be as follows;
locations and your distance to them
rate
total milage including any deadhead
delivery times
accessorial charges
weight of load
If needed...dimensions of load
how many stops?
what kind of freight area is it going to?
fuel surcharge?
haz-mat?
customers phone numbers and brokers numbers if a Canadian load.
Knowing your cost per mile is the determining factor on most loads. They have a spreadsheet at ooida's website to use. Just plug in the numbers or estimates and it will guide you through the process.
Their site is www.ooida.com
Other issues come into play but are more carrier specific. For example, knowing the freight lanes your company frequently travels, where are their strong and weak locations for freight? All of those things need to be known. That is why you will see a general consensus of members advocating driving for someone. That owner will likely know where the lanes are for you company, thus helping you avoid costly mistakes.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Dear Margaret,
I don't think that God posts on this site, lol, but we do have lots of really smart & helpful people, like DaveKC, who will try to answer.
The Qualcomm is something you will get familiar with in orientation, & no, it can't be heard outside your truck - but you can send a message on it, saying that you will be out of the truck, & dispatch will call you on your cellphone instead.
As for how often you talk to the owner - how about asking him/her what would be right? I imagine different owners would have different answers, or maybe they would want frequent contact at first, then less often as they get comfortable with your performance & judgement. But only they can answer that one.
Are you going to orientation soon, or still making decisions?

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Have you private E-mailed anyone here on this site, in other words is there one or two people that you feel would give you their phone #s and you could have an a long question and answer conversation with?

This is how I did it, and those that spoke with me "thank you". I am not suggesting myself, as my company does not hire newbees. Insurance reasons.

Good Luck.

Sawbones

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the info, but the reference to Margaret was from a Ray Stevens song. You have to be that old to know it.

Sawbones

Expert Expediter
Yes, I did speak with someone last year by phone, and he was a lot of help. Thanks again. The point I am trying to make with my post is that we are spending a lot of time on the same old subjects. There are "operational" topics that newbies like me need to learn also. Yes, there are difference in the Qualcomm screens, lets see them. There are lots of little things that make the day go right and they can be shared. Think about what you did today on the truck. The thing that you do eveyyday, it makes the day go smooth. Now did you know it automaticly when you jumped into the truck the first day? Probably not, share it. In my personal experience, as a nurse, the things I learn in a classroom were minuute, compared to what I picked up on the floor. Now if anyone would like some of "that" info, I will share it gladly. Just share what you have learned, that is all I have asked. I can almost gurantee you that I will not take money out of your wallet by learning this stuff, chances are I will be 500 miles from you when the load offer comes to me, and not you. And A-team, where is the book?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The Qualcomm is something you will get familiar with in orientation, & no, it can't be heard outside your truck - but you can send a message on it, saying that you will be out of the truck, & dispatch will call you on your cellphone instead.

Cheri,
well you can hear the QC if it is turned up.

four of us sat in indy a couple months ago outside of our vans, the guy with the van the farthest from all of us got a load offer on the QC. we heard the beep and his windows were rolled up.

I have mine turned up all the way and the other day I was outside working on my wifes soon to be gone van and heard the beep while it was parked on the street. I wasted my time checking it - another fleet message (they are good things but not thinking what it could be caused me to drop everythign and run to the van).

jackdixon_2000

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
On the Qualcom subject
I don't know why fedex does not recomend the QC pagers. I don't like depending on my phone because I have lost loads due to going straight to voice mail then a lag period.
The pager I used from 99 to 2004 was good for about 100 yards but you still had to be carefull in a solidly enclosed building about loosing yer signal (and you would not know it)
The new one I got in 2004 has a bit of a longer range and it will give you a warning beep if you don't have a signal.

An example: Last year I was sitting with 3 other drivers at the Petro in W Memphis and my pager went off with a run offer and the other 3 drivers were off the QC and on phone only and had more dwell time then me. Now, I am not saying that it was necessarily because I was available on QC, because its not supposed to work that way but I still question it in my mind.

Also, Fedex has a new system, if you request it, that will automatically send a text message to you're cell phone instantaneosly
as the offer goes out to yer QC if you want to stay available on QC.
I have one friend who signed up last week and said it worked well for the offers he had

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I keep the volume turned down to the lowest setting on the QC, because it's usually quiet in my van, & even when I'm expecting it - like when I've sent an empty call, the computer first sends me a layover, then a minute later it will send a message telling me to stand by for layover instructions, even when I know it's coming - the beep startles me. (I think the volume control is a placebo, & doesn't really work, lol) But dispatch will always call me if I don't answer the QC. And I like that, cause I can put my phone in my pocket! ;)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I believe the first beep is at a preset volume no matter how you set the volume control. That only changes beeps number 2 and higher if you don't respond to the first beep. That may be a company controlled parameter but I know for a fact it's that way at least with some companies if not with all QC units in service.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 4958, 5447
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

targuard86

Expert Expediter
I wonder if the next step for FCC is that they will no longer make phone calls with load offers? I see the email to the phone as the 1st step in that direction. With over 1200 units I'm sure the phone calls take up alot of time when a C-link message would be much quicker.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
SAWBONES:

It's hard to replicate a QC message here, but here's most of the info on a FedEx Custom Critical Run Offer Message:

City of Pickup / date and time of pickup
City of delivery / date and time of delivery

Number of miles paid
Number of miles deadhead empty to the pickup city

Rate on which run revenue is calculated.
Total money the truck(owner) will be paid, including any fuel surcharge.

Accessorial charges included in the above total money, such as lift gate, inside delivery or other special handling requirements.

An indication if this is a round trip or not. (rare)
An indication if a HazMat load or not
An indication if the run times are confirmed or tentative.

----------------------------------------------------------

A formula most of us would use is simply multipy the total money by the percentage you agreed upon with the owner of the truck and you have the money you will get. Next, divide your share of the money by the miles you expect to drive to get the revenue per mile for you. If this latter figure meets your minimum requirements and the run takes you to an area suitable for your personal requirements, you go with it.

When the dispatcher calls you, ask as many questions that include the run info above, and any others that will give you the answers to allow you to make a good business decision. Don't let the dispatcher rush you into a decision for which you will kick yourself later. Two minutes of dispatch agent time is not worth 24 hours and many dollars worth your time.

If you go to work for Dave KC, he likes to be called every four hours, particularly if you get lonely on an all-nighter. Otherwise talk to the owner as often as necessary for each of you to be in agreement about this business. You should never have to consult with the owner to determine the efficacy of a particular run. Most likely you will be considered an independent contractor to the owner in the same manner as the owner is to the carrier, so you make the run decisions as you see fit.

There is no cutoff on the amount of deadhead you would endure on a particular run, as long as the dollar per mile, of all miles, is acceptable to you. There are other factors to consider on the deadhead. Would you not take a long deadhead to the pickup and only earn fuel money per mile if the run takes you to your hometown on the eve of you wife/child birthday?

Terry

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Your questions and the concerns that lie behind them, if I read your post correctly, point to a fact of life in expediting that all newbies should know.

When your very first load comes, there is no time to learn the basic skills. There is only time to run the freight. But there is very little training available ahead of time for someone who wants to master the basic skills before the first offer comes in. Even the best orientations offered by the best carriers can be a challenge because you are bombarded with a whole lot of brand new information about topics that are themselves new to you. It is hard to know which information is of immediate and everlasting importance, and which needs to be referenced just once a year.

This is where a good fleet owner can be worth one's weight in gold. When that first beep comes in, you can call your fleet owner who can talk you through your first few loads. Calls to dispatch and others at your carrier (contracter coordinators) can also help.

The good news is no matter how much or little support you have starting out, almost everyone successfully finds his or her way through their first load. The basic skills are indeed basic. They are not difficult to master, and after you've run two or three loads you'll have it comfortably figured out. After 10 loads, you'll have the basic skills licked.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If you go to work for Dave KC, he likes to be called every four hours, particularly if you get lonely on an all-nighter
=====================================================
I went to Dr. Phil's rehab and have been able to move to a five hour program with the aid of dash and sleeper cams :7

Davekc

Sawbones

Expert Expediter
OK, so the answer is "No matter how hard you ask the question, you still gotta learn the vast majority, of the job, on the fly.?." I guess I can do that and survive. So, now an answer I received earlier provokes another question. And I don't want to pry, but what is the bare minimum hourly salary you would take on a load that is going from one great spot to another. And what is the bare minimum salary you would take period, no anniversary to get to, no special events. Just a slow day. I.E. if the load pays 1.05 mile, with a deadhead of 25 miles, and a route to be driven of say 1150 miles. No extra's fee. Destination is a fairly active place. Team driven. So there in 24 hours or so, correct? And here is where I get confused, how does the fuel surcharge work? I figure, and correct me where I am wrong. The miles would be 1175 total divided by say 8 miles per gallon of diesal. Which would give me 147 gallons of fuel used? If the fuel was 2.90 a gallon that would be 426.30 in fuel cost. But there is that pesty fuel surcharge, what would that make my actual fuel cost? I think I remember someone once saying it would be around 1.50? Which would make the cost about 220.50 in fuel charges. So, 1150 miles times 1.05 per mile gives me 1207.50 in payment. Minus the fuel surcharge rated fuel, that leaves 987.00 profit for the truck. Taking the standard 40 % for the drivers, that would leave 394.80 to be split equally. Or 197.40, divided over 11 hours of driving equal about 18.00 an hour. Which is not too bad for a job that requires very little "formal" training. So how far off am I?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I got lost in the middle of your question so here's a fairly typical Panther scenario for a D unit. You get a load offer picking up 87 miles away, 1050 paid miles from shipper to consignee, full D unit rate of $1.20 per loaded mile with a 23cpm fsc. The paid miles and fsc are both calculated on 1050. You do the 87 on your own. 1050*$1.20 is $1260. 1050*.23cpm is $241.50. The truck gets paid $1501.50 gross for this run. If the truck gets 8mpg for the entire job that's 1137/8 or 142 gallons of fuel. At $3 per gallon it's $426 for the fuel. The most common split is 60/40 with the 60% side getting the entire fsc and paying for the fuel. That would make a division of $997.50/$504 split. The $997.50 side would pay $426 for fuel leaving $571.50 after fuel. I hope that's clear and of some help.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Fuel surcharges charged to the customer vary by carrier and also vary with some of the carrier's customers. Some customers have contracts that allow them to ship without paying the FSC and others have negotiated less than the full surcharge.

My carrier, for example charges 18 1/2% fsc to full tarrif customers. That means the customer pays $18.50 on top of every $100 of tarrif. The owner gets it all so if we get 58% of the tarrif, we get 58 + 18.50 for each $118.50 the customer pays. This theoretically brings the effective cost, to the driver, of fuel to about $1.78 per gallon of diesel in a 6 mpg truck.

We can't give you a dollar per hour minimum because we think in miles and not hours. There are so many dead hours in expediting, and other forms of trucking for that matter, that it would be a sinfull figure if we got paid by the hour. Another problem in giving you a finite figure is the truck size and company you would work for. There are too many variables from company to company.

Some of the EO advertisers promote figures that are averages and some are fixed, some include fsc, some do not, some include accessoriy charges, some do not. To get the real figures you would have to contact the carriers. Here are the loaded mile figures for many of the EO advertisers' straight "D" trucks:

$1.30; $1.58; $1.20; $1.15-$1.35; $1.52; and $1.22.

Try as we might, it's not easy to give a realistic answer to the money we earn without knowing the company and truck size to which a person is connected. Also, we don't consider our profits on the basis of a single run; we each have our own methods but usually look at the opportunities over a monthly or quarterly period.

Sawbones

Expert Expediter
Very informative, and it has answered alot of my question. Thank you to all. I know that it is hard for me to stop thinking in terms of salary per hour and look at net salary over a month or quarterly long period. But, I guess I will just have to do it. Or come up with some way to make it make sense to me once I am out there in the real world. Again thank you for answering these questions.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Joe , we spoke last year on the phone.If you would like to talk again I will send you a PM with my phone#.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Expediting isn't a career that best lends itself to an hourly pay mindset. It could conceivably be calculated that way but it's more of a net income per week/month that's important. I've made as much as $1100 per hour and as little as too little per hour to waste time calculating. I'd say on average you can figure 45mph as a reasonable overall speed average. In that case, if you just have to have an hourly rate, multiply your per mile times 45 and that's your hourly rate.

EO Forum Moderator
----------