Ok it’s that time again. Which van to buy?

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well the Promaster just crossed 500K. Time to shop for a new van. Don’t want another Promaster because of the down time we have had with this one. Still original engine and transmission. But repairs have really added up the last year and a half. Really want a 2019 high top extended Sprinter. But they aren’t being made yet. Priced out a new Transit with everything we would like and it hit $49,000. The Sprinter isn’t much more. Has anyone bought a new Sprinter with the new engine and transmission and if so any problems or concerns? Of course I could buy two used Transits for the cost of a new one and they would last a couple years each. Just gotta get through 4 1/2 years and then I’m toast. The last two vans I bought were new and did well by me. Had them paid off in 2 1/2 years. Now just not sure which way to jump. We do AAE with Landstar so it’s easier for us to handle the expenses of a new van. If I were doing regular freight or driving solo it would definitely be a used unit. Anyone have feedback on newer Transit or the new Sprinter? Been out here 9 years and still don’t know which is best. (Sure wish there was a high top extended van with a 6.0 V-8). That got okay mileage.

Compa

Rookie Expediter
Researching
One of the best things about the Ford Transit is the huge network of Ford dealers where it can be serviced when needed.

Reactions: guido4475

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Wow. That surprises me. A Dodge is a Dodge, right? They must have their hands full with other repairs on different models.
A few years ago when my friend took his Promaster for an oil change at a dodge/ram dealer they didnt even know what a promaster was. The guy went like "pro what?" When my friend pointed to his van he said "oh yeah, we don't service those." Makes no sense, other than they might not have lifts big enough for a tall van.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Reactions: guido4475

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've been retired for 7 years now but if I were going back out I think my order of choice would be Transit, Sprinter, Promaster. That might change with significant research but that's what I think now. Good luck.

mr_durdan

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
I drive a 2018 transit extended high roof that I bought new. I've only put 98000 miles on it and I don't have any experience with other vehicles to compare it to. But take what you can from this. Mine is a 250 with the 3.7 gas engine. I paid $35800 for it plus got $1000 upfit rebate after I had work done on it. I average about 16 miles per gallon loaded (average about 68 mph on the highway). With high winds and a heavy load that falls to 14.5, but I often get 17.5 - 18. I do about half of the oil changes myself and the rest at quick lubes, every 5000 miles. 6 quarts of halvoline full synthetic and a filter from Walmart = $26 + tax. Elsewhere will be $65 - $105. The engine has plenty of power in most situations, but I do need to downshift to 4th gear in the Rockies. I can fit 3 48" pallets, but it's tight. GVWR is 9000 lbs and it can carry 3389 lbs. No repairs needed yet and changing the plugs wasn't too bad although the upper intake has to come off. If you have any questions, let me know.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Your next van should be a tractor trailer. (Maybe a straight)

The border and roads are clogged with FTL traffic, but nary an expedite van to be seen in an 800 mile round trip

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's not about what I need. It's about what I prefer. I'm not taking any chances with my engine.
I agree it's all up to you. I have no experience with full synthetic oil My first two vans I ran regular old Valvoline dinosaur oil and averaged 5000-6000 miles per oil change. I sold it with 820,000 miles on the original engine and it went past 900,000 miles that I know off. My current Transit came with a recommendation of synthetic blend oil and change every 10,000. I use the synthetic blend and average about 7,500 miles per change. What ever works for you and you feel comfortable with.

Reactions: muttly and Solar

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Try out the 2019 Sprinter gas engine 170 extended 2500. If you're coming from gas it will be a easy transfer. The price is close to a transit.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The gasser is not available in 170 extended. The longest is 170.
Which is 14' inside right? Same as the "extended" from ram or ford...

Canada sucks for new vehicles. Was looking at a transit with a 16' box, diesel...$784 a month for 60 months with $5000 down, and you don't even get to keep it. Lease

Reactions: ntimevan

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Which is 14' inside right? Same as the "extended" from ram or ford...

Canada sucks for new vehicles. Was looking at a transit with a 16' box, diesel...$784 a month for 60 months with $5000 down, and you don't even get to keep it. Lease
I believe it is.

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
With your Promaster at 500k, curious question from a fellow Promaster driver. How often did you change transmission fluid and filter?

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well the Promaster just crossed 500K. Time to shop for a new van. Don’t want another Promaster because of the down time we have had with this one. Still original engine and transmission. But repairs have really added up the last year and a half. Really want a 2019 high top extended Sprinter. But they aren’t being made yet. Priced out a new Transit with everything we would like and it hit $49,000. The Sprinter isn’t much more. Has anyone bought a new Sprinter with the new engine and transmission and if so any problems or concerns? Of course I could buy two used Transits for the cost of a new one and they would last a couple years each. Just gotta get through 4 1/2 years and then I’m toast. The last two vans I bought were new and did well by me. Had them paid off in 2 1/2 years. Now just not sure which way to jump. We do AAE with Landstar so it’s easier for us to handle the expenses of a new van. If I were doing regular freight or driving solo it would definitely be a used unit. Anyone have feedback on newer Transit or the new Sprinter? Been out here 9 years and still don’t know which is best. (Sure wish there was a high top extended van with a 6.0 V-8). That got okay mileage.
Need an update. Did you finally decide on a new vehicle? What fantastic vehicle did you purchase? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Reactions: muttly and Solar

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
With your Promaster at 500k, curious question from a fellow Promaster driver. How often did you change transmission fluid and filter?

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums
I change my tranny oil around 20,000 miles give or take. I put a drain plug in the pan. One is available from Dorman with a plug. It drains about half the fluid. I do the filter at 80,000. The trans was replaced at 95,000 under warranty. Van has 594,000 on it now. I just had the trans remanufactured. The torque converter went on it. I couldn't see pulling the tranny for a converter and not looking into the trans. The shop seeing the miles ordered everything for it before it was dropped off expecting the worst. Gears, bearings, planetary drums, timken bearings the whole deal. All electronics as well. Making this a reman trans not a rebuilt. He said the trans itself was in real good shape. He was impressed on the condition and miles. The bearings and gears showed hardly any wear. I change the engine oil between 5-7,000. If I'm home and it will need changing on the road I change it early. Also just did both axles and the intermediate shaft. Drivers side was getting loose passenger side showed no signs. The intermediate shaft bearing was gone. Fairly easy job. Replaced both ball joints with greasable ones while I was in there. Changing parking brake cables this weekend. I use it a lot can't believe they seized up.

Reactions: Solar and RoadTime

Trucker 57

New Recruit
Driver
I drive a 2018 transit extended high roof that I bought new. I've only put 98000 miles on it and I don't have any experience with other vehicles to compare it to. But take what you can from this. Mine is a 250 with the 3.7 gas engine. I paid $35800 for it plus got $1000 upfit rebate after I had work done on it. I average about 16 miles per gallon loaded (average about 68 mph on the highway). With high winds and a heavy load that falls to 14.5, but I often get 17.5 - 18. I do about half of the oil changes myself and the rest at quick lubes, every 5000 miles. 6 quarts of halvoline full synthetic and a filter from Walmart = $26 + tax. Elsewhere will be $65 - $105. The engine has plenty of power in most situations, but I do need to downshift to 4th gear in the Rockies. I can fit 3 48" pallets, but it's tight. GVWR is 9000 lbs and it can carry 3389 lbs. No repairs needed yet and changing the plugs wasn't too bad although the upper intake has to come off. If you have any questions, let me know.

Reactions: dalscott