Ok Al...where is the heat?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
This miserable winter has caused global warming alarmists to lose all credibility. Al Gore and the Obama administration still hold tight to the mantra (maybe they are frozen to it?) but their ramblings are met with derision even in the fawning mainstream media.
These were all headlines online on Tuesday:
*Winter Could Be Worst in 25 Years for USA.
*The heaviest snowfall in almost 50 years is hitting parts of Britain as Arctic weather brought nationwide chaos.
*All-time record snowfall in Burlington, Vermont January 5, 2010
*Iowa temps a solid 30 degrees below normal
*Seoul, Korea was buried in the heaviest snowfall in 70 years
*Midwest Sees Near-Record Lows, Snow By The Foot
*Miami shivers from coldest weather in decade
*Cold snap spurs power rationing in China

Now this is funny...
I-90 was closed Wednesday and Thursday during this last snowstorm and a South Dakota headline on Thursday announced that “200 schools close to honor progress made in reversing global warming”!

Another headline declared “Antarctic Sea Ice for November 2009 Higher Than 1979”, followed by this: “Contrary to media reports Antarctic sea ice continues to expand. Ice totals for November 2009 are significantly higher than 1979 when measurements began. The main stream media concentrates on a couple of small areas of the Antarctic in order to scare you in to believing that Antarctica is melting, when in fact it’s gaining ice.”
In an open letter to the United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki Moon, 141 scientists state that the science behind anthropogenic global warming is anything but "settled". You can read the letter at: Welcome to the Copenhagen Climate Challenge Web Site What do you bet Gore and Obama never mention any of this?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Silly rabbit. 1. Trix are for kids and 2. it's global climate change now because the liberal morons weren't fast enough to get in on the warming phase and now have to change horses mid stream as the normally and naturally occurring climatic cycle flows to the cooling phase.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
They realized early on that "Global Warming" wasn't gonna fly, when the Earth's temperature started a steady rate of cooling in 1990 as part of a normal cycle. That's why the new and improved term is "Climate Change", since that allows for anything and everything out of the ordinary. Now, any severe weather can be attributed to "Global Warming," regardless of what it is or how severe it is. Even Earthquake are being blamed on "Global Warming." Notice that average temperatures are often reported as "normal" temperatures instead of average temperatures. That rarely was the case before "Global Warming" and "Climate Change" became all-important buzz words. Reporting that a given temperature is above or below what is normal is meant to infer that something is not-normal, and therefor is something to be quite concerned with.

Shadowpanda

Seasoned Expediter
Global warming is about very small changes in average temperature over time. It's totally silly to dismiss it simply because it's actually cold outside. Of course it's cold!
It's almost February.
You wouldn't notice if average temps went up 3 degree's this year. Humans are the most adaptable species on the planet. That same 3 degree change would wreak absolute havoc to many species that are not adaptable at all and result in unknowable changes to the food chain.
There are always outliers in any data set and those headlines are meaningless to any rational discussion of the merits of global warming. Regardless of if its a total lie, this is STILL the only home we have and we **** well better take care of it.

Toronto40

Seasoned Expediter
Global warming is about very small changes in average temperature over time. It's totally silly to dismiss it simply because it's actually cold outside. Of course it's cold!
It's almost February.
You wouldn't notice if average temps went up 3 degree's this year. Humans are the most adaptable species on the planet. That same 3 degree change would wreak absolute havoc to many species that are not adaptable at all and result in unknowable changes to the food chain.
There are always outliers in any data set and those headlines are meaningless to any rational discussion of the merits of global warming. Regardless of if its a total lie, this is STILL the only home we have and we **** well better take care of it.

I agree with Shawdopanda, this is the only home we have. Their is alot of polution being put in the air and the water and that can't be healthy for the enviorment or us. Its seems like everyday their is a new kind of cancer discovered everyday. I'm just saying.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I would say yes it matter but we as humans don't or better yet can control Earth. We are not God.

Who said this may be a bad thing?

The people who have their summer homes in the Hampton's and along the Florida coast?

Once upon a time, on a far away island there sat a mountain. It turned into a volcano and kind of made a mess of things by erupting - that volcano was Mt. Pinatubo.

That little eruption was considered really an important thing, it gave us 20 million tons of SO2 which was about the same as our yearly output at that time. The other thing it gave us was a cooling of the planet by putting into the stratosphere a bunch of ash and junk, not just the immediate area but through the entire planet. The amount of dust and other pollutants in the air. The temp dropped by .4 C over the entire planet.

The point is simple, with one event, we seen a real effect of the climate for the entire planet. The amount of energy that went into that event could only be reproduced in part by a destructive force of Nuke weapons. We could not counteract the amount of power and destruction that this eruption demonstrated, ever.

So to assume that we have a direct effect on the planet's climate seems to be a bit too arrogant.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The amount of air and water pollution that is out there now, and that we output on a yearly basis today, is a fraction, a tiny fraction, of what was out there fifty, eighty years ago. But, media and other alarmists have gotten things to the point where a backyard BBQ grill and open bonfires on the beach becomes an immediate, direct threat to the health and well being of the plant and everything on it. It's absurd, and anyone with any intelligence (and not a monetary special interest in perpetuating the myth) can plainly see it.

The amount of OMG greenhouse gases that were let loose in one 15-minute belch by Mt. St. Helens utterly dwarfs the entire greenhouse gas output of the combined history of mankind. It's not even close.

On The Weather Channel it's never a thunderstorm, but a severe thunderstorm. It's never cold, but bitterly cold, not hot, but dangerously hot. We don't have regular weather anymore, it's always severe weather. Regular weather doesn't sell, severe weather does. Even when it's calm, it's too calm.

When you read an article about something happening that hasn't happened since XXXX, read it carefully, because the article is telling you that not only has it happened before, but the last time it happened it happened when man couldn't have had anything to do with it. Like, the last time Greenland was, uhm, green, was xxxx-thousands of years ago, which means it used to be green, it's happened before, and man didn't cause it to be green in the first place. Infer from that how likely it is that man caused this one.

Follow the money. Always follow the money. The people who are preaching the doom and gloom of global warming are the very same people, not coincidentally, who stand to gain from perpetuating the doom and gloom of global warming.

That's not to say we the people should be irresponsible. Plastic bags and Styrofoam, for example, should be banned. Uranium has a more rapid degradable lifespan than plastic bags. Americans need to get over their obsession of super duper stay-puffed puffy triple soft poofy puff toilet paper that only comes from the first run of freshly cut trees instead of the slightly more coarse recycled paper the rest of the world uses.

The Arctic ice is at it's lowest levels in 7,000 years. I wonder what man did 7,000 years ago to cause it then. <snort>

The Earth used to be a lot colder, and it used to be a lot hotter, and both have happened several times. To think we, us, you and me, are the cause of anything on a global scale is laughable. It's like looking up at the sky and thinking we the center of the universe because everything revolves around us.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
And the Weather Network calls it Canadian cold air at that...like someone owns it! Blame the Canadians...*LOL*

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's almost February.

Temperatures used to be taken in a variety of various locals. Now the majority is taken at airports or in city limits, Because of all the buildings and hard surface such as asphalt and cement in these areas the temp is always higher than the surrounding rural areas. Simply moving weather stations a few miles to a rural area would show a drop in average temps. there is a lot a tricks being played to try and prove global warming.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I can't find the link, but i heard on the radio this evening that the UN as issued an apology for the scare that they may have cause with their precition of the ice ice melt...it ain't happening as they predicted...

as was pointed out, this is our home and yes we need to be "good shepherds" of it, but to think that we as man have anykind of huge impact on how the climate goes, to me is simply nothing but arrogance...to think that we can destory what God put in place and as total control of, is nothing but funny.....

PS: found the link , here you go:

UN climate chief admits mistake on Himalayan glaciers warning - Times Online

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well if you want a good read - "Living Like Ed". I hand it to the guy, like ALGORE but in Ed's case he actually is trying ... a bit messed up but trying.

It makes you wonder why someone so environmentally conscience would work in an industry that is so environmentally destructive and has a zero output that can be recycled while actually writing about his environmentally sound living which is supported by this massively destructive vocation and which is then publishing into a book instead of an E-book, which by printing it with paper only increasing the destructiveness of the thing he is fighting against - from chemicals used to remove the ink from the paper that is used to recycle to the trucks that bring the books to the places that sell the book to the people who don't work in a massively destructive industry and onto the trucks that haul the used book that no one reads anymore to be recycled again.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
12 posts and no one mentioned cow farts?

The climate changeists should remind everyone not to confuse weather with climate.

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
YES climate is the average of weather taken over a time period,nothing more. no matter how "environmental science(really liberal use of the word science to be honest)" tries to paint it differently. and with only 120 years of data there is no way to tell which way anything is going and that not even 120 years of good data to many factor that effect a reporting stations data are routinely ignored.

I have nothing against making a best guess on limited data hell sometimes it's all you have to work with, but quit trying to pass off this guess as total unequivocal fact.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't know what is going on in the rest of the world. What I can see in my own back yard is in almost every way things are better with the environment. The water is cleaner, the air is cleaner. Way cleaner. The biggest problem in our area is poor land usage. We continue to ruin habitat and farm land at a very quick pace. I cannot control what happens in China or anywhere else. I can and do have an impact in the area in which I live. That is all I can do.

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
I don't know what is going on in the rest of the world. What I can see in my own back yard is in almost every way things are better with the environment. The water is cleaner, the air is cleaner. Way cleaner. The biggest problem in our area is poor land usage. We continue to ruin habitat and farm land at a very quick pace. I cannot control what happens in China or anywhere else. I can and do have an impact in the area in which I live. That is all I can do.

This is because local conservation efforts are always more efficient than sweeping international accords.Hard work ,good science and common since will alway be more efficient than politically driven pseudo-science. It's not a case of the left losing there way it's becoming quite clear they never had firm grasp on the situation to start with.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As with most problems, local fixes work better than big government edicts. If everyone just cleaned up their own mess just imagine how much better things would be. I also believe that many of the answers to our problems are being help up or surpressed by big government regulations. Answers to a lot of our problems will be found in the back yards and garages of everyday Americans.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yep..I do my part..the 3 R's...
recycle..reuse...reduce...

1 person at a time can make a difference...:)

greg334

Veteran Expediter
BUT OVM by the environmentalist standards nothing matters - you driver a van for a living and harm the environment by doing so - bad OVM.

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
BUT OVM by the environmentalist standards nothing matters - you driver a van for a living and harm the environment by doing so - bad OVM.

That's right drive a van for a living your an evil, evil villain, take a private jet and limo to a conference on the environment your a hero.