Offensive Signage?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
After the recent "donkey" post; where at least 3 members were greatly offended, one packed up and left, one was going to call on Panther about their support for such an offensive word and on claimed: "That a handful of members are allowed to post bigoted, defamatory, obscene, hateful, racially or ethnically offensive comments and it is accepted behavior by the owners, admin, mods and those that are willing not to speak up about it" None of the above three ever really explained why they found the word "donkey" to be so offensive. Maybe it was so offensive that they just couldn't elaborate further. I'm still somewhat patiently waiting for the posts I requested detailing the "bigoted, defamatory, obscene, hateful, racially or ethnically offensive comments".

So my question to all the E.O. Soapboxers is, do you find one or both of the following signs offensive?
DSCN0059.jpg

DSCN0061.jpg

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
After the recent "donkey" post; where at least 3 members were greatly offended, one packed up and left, one was going to call on Panther about their support for such an offensive word and on claimed: "That a handful of members are allowed to post bigoted, defamatory, obscene, hateful, racially or ethnically offensive comments and it is accepted behavior by the owners, admin, mods and those that are willing not to speak up about it" None of the above three ever really explained why they found the word "donkey" to be so offensive. Maybe it was so offensive that they just couldn't elaborate further. I'm still somewhat patiently waiting for the posts I requested detailing the "bigoted, defamatory, obscene, hateful, racially or ethnically offensive comments".

So my question to all the E.O. Soapboxers is, do you find one or both of the following signs offensive?
DSCN0059.jpg

DSCN0061.jpg

First, we live in a country whose language has many words that have multiple meanings. A big enough baby can find something offensive in the word "go-kart". If someone's biggest problem in life is getting upset over verbage, then I (and most others I would bet) wish my life was as simple as theirs, with nothing more dire to worry about.

As for the above photos? Why be offended by something named by our cultural ancestors? Names, business practices, rituals, customs, etc. that today's society frowns upon or are now illegal- but were accepted and expected then - are nothing to get up in arms about, but rather remind us how far we have come. Just wait: in 100 years, alot of the "PC" bull many feel obligated to spew forth now will be considered offensive and condescending...therefore, unacceptable, bigoted, biased.

"Donkey" itself has many uses in which it can be used derogatorily. It can refer to intelligence level, character flaw, or political party. When used in a derogatory fashion, it is a gentle word with broad meaning. I have a brother-in-law whom I have and will again refer to as a Donkey. The exact meaning? Multiple coverage.

Should it have been used? I don't know. It wasn't directed at another EOer, it wasn't a personal attack, it was an opinion of a faction of society.

Having been brought up in a economically and racially mixed neighborhood, perhaps I am thicker skinned when it comes to this. In that neighborhood, words that should never be used against another human being are bandied about as terms of endearment. The term "Donkey" actually invokes laughter, eye-rolling, and the challenge to one-up with a "Your mama" joke.

Grow up, get over it, don't like it, stop reading, exit the thread, and maybe even laugh a little.

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
offended by them...well i have to "pee'...but i don't think that has anything to do with those signs being offensive to me...nah...its al good...:)

Last edited:

14Wheeler

Seasoned Expediter
where at least 3 members were greatly offended

And I doubt you'd find a 4th. Over the years i've met 100's of drivers with all kinds of whacky ideals,regarding all kinds of even whackier delusional conflicts. Still, I've yet met one that would have signed up for that 4th position.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Should it have been used? I don't know. It wasn't directed at another EOer, it wasn't a personal attack, it was an opinion of a faction of society.

Actually no, it was used because if I said they should get their *** in a bus, car, bicycle or even walk the forum software would mask the word *** and since a donkey is an *** I used it instead. It's interchangeable with butt, tush, bohunkus, hiney, rear and others. It had nothing to do with any faction of society, just with a specific part of the anatomy.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Actually no, it was used because if I said they should get their *** in a bus, car, bicycle or even walk the forum software would mask the word *** and since a donkey is an *** I used it instead. It's interchangeable with butt, tush, bohunkus, hiney, rear and others. It had nothing to do with any faction of society, just with a specific part of the anatomy.

That is exactly how I read your post Leo....

I got in hot water a few years ago because I used the term "porch monkeys"....I was told it was racial....LOL....to me...ankle biters, curtain pullers, porch monkeys all mean kids....

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Its a internet forum. Some take things too personally when there is really no need to. Whatever some may be offended by, it will be forgotten in a matter of a few days. If not, then likely they have some other problems/issues that are much bigger than posts in a forum.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I believe that if you had used the word "аss", people would have taken that to be a euphemism for "donkey" and would have taken it to mean a racist statement towards Mexicans. <snort>

For those trying hard to be offended, you'll be just all giddy after reading this.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
I suspect those that where offended also belong to the party that has a donkey as their mascot. They where just looking for a reason to be "offended" I think there is a professional class of them now.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Do people really try so hard to be offended?

Evidently so, but they're obviously a small minority. Sometimes it probably has something to do with their overblown sense of self-importance or or taking themselves too seriously, combined with an overdose of political correctness. Consider OVM's "porch monkeys"; are these the sedentary versions of "yard apes"? My daughters bring theirs onto my property a couple of times per week. At any rate, life goes on.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Definitions vary from where one is raised, too. First time I heard someone refer to children as "porch monkeys", I nearly fainted. Where they grew up, it did mean children. Where I came from...

We have since gone over many references of all types, noted their differences, and have decided most, regardless of their personal definition, should NOT be used in public conversation, as they can be easily misconstrued.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
I suspect those that where offended also belong to the party that has a donkey as their mascot. They where just looking for a reason to be "offended" I think there is a professional class of them now.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
They all stink on ice as far as I am concerned..
eb73a4b121d2.gif

19cf25ef0eff.gif

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm at the TA in Florence, which I believe is not far from Big Bone Lick State Park.

Oops, wrong thread...

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
I'm at the TA in Florence, which I believe is not far from Big Bone Lick State Park.

Oops, wrong thread...

Ya know, there was something, um, wrong with the founding fathers of northern KY. Beaverlick? Big Bone Lick? Sugart*t? (Censored it for ya, EO). I sense some frustration in them thar hills.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ya know, there was something, um, wrong with the founding fathers of northern KY. Beaverlick? Big Bone Lick? Sugart*t? (Censored it for ya, EO). I sense some frustration in them thar hills.

Beaverlick?

No problem that I can see! :cool:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
From Turtle's linked article: From Jewtown in Georgia to Wop Draw in Wyoming, thousands of places across the United States give an insight into the countries divisive past. The startling list - which includes Polack Lane and N***** Creek.

Funny how they can list just about every derogatory name but they can't spell out the word ******. No mention of the derogatory term pale face.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Funny how they can list just about every derogatory name but they can't spell out the word ******. No mention of the derogatory term pale face.

Jeez, even E.O. prevented me from using the dreaded "N" word. "Me thinks there is a Ubangi in the fuel supply." W.C. Fields