October Locations and Banter

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Did slow down today that is for sure. It was a Canadian holiday and a US govt holiday. Last week was still good numbers. Will see what tomorrow brings.

They do some great concerts here. Last night we were at a dinner with International Trucks about 200 people and they had 2 American Idols and Kenny G.

Tonight we had the Freightliner dinner. They keep the entertainment a secret. Past few years were Rascal Flatts, Phil Collins, Jewel, Elton John and on and on.

Ok tonight just started and it is Keith Urban. The wife will not be happy she stayed home, lol.

Last edited:

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Almost had a nice start to the week. Back at home after load canceled. Had to scrap ice off the windshield this morning. Actually I think this is the first time I have had to scrap in over a year. I don't think we are going to have another mild winter this year. Oh well, back to the bottom of the list :(

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Nice shadow, nice shadow. Down boy, heel !!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Play with fire !!!!!

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You should keep your spot on a cancel the Que might not show it but dispatch should be aware. A paid dry run could be different.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
waiting here to go home....west only....so far turned down 2 shortys and a 500 miler...
seems a shortage of people to do Canada....even asked me to do one....

Scott you NEED to get back here....LOL

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
waiting here to go home....west only....so far turned down 2 shortys and a 500 miler...
seems a shortage of people to do Canada....even asked me to do one....

Scott you NEED to get back here....LOL

Got a big pot roast waiting for you! and the heat is on!
:D
Gosh John...I wish I'D been there..love Kenny G...which two american idols? I'd have killed to see Adam Lambert or Carrie Underwood!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Hi all. its been very slow for me so far this month. im in service at home since saturday.i had a phone call from dispatch @8pm saying they have nothing for me now but what is the least amount i will run for? they said there is alot of freight @detroit area but not for our normal rate so will i accept less? it kind of took me by suprise anybody else get a phone call like this? i'm not sure i want to run for less, but if i can't get a load? what do you all think? thanks
A couple of weeks ago I got a call like that. I was in Birmingham. I, too was a little surprised. Said he was putting bids in, but wasn't getting them, so what was the least amount I'd run for? I told him 90 cents. I think he was hoping more for something like 60, based on his response.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Well I had a great paying run.... not huge but up to Sterling Heights... um 6 pieces 63 by 42 by 25...huh?

Told dispatch unless I put 2 on the roof , not happening lol.

Dale

Sent from my SPH-D700 using EO Forums

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well I had a great paying run.... not huge but up to Sterling Heights... um 6 pieces 63 by 42 by 25...huh?

Told dispatch unless I put 2 on the roof , not happening lol.

Dale

Sent from my SPH-D700 using EO Forums
Stand them up on their end they would fit...LOL

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Stand them up on their end they would fit...LOL
True lol... I saw the specs on the load info, but went ahead and rolled out just in case a number was transposed..maybe was really 36x42 etc...but Jeremy called back said nope.

I think was a new guy that called..saw 2800 lbs and thought 'Sprinter!'

Dale

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
True lol... I saw the specs on the load info, but went ahead and rolled out just in case a number was transposed..maybe was really 36x42 etc...but Jeremy called back said nope.

I think was a new guy that called..saw 2800 lbs and thought 'Sprinter!'

Dale

True...I always check it out....the dims are wrong most of the time anyways....;)

guido4475

Not a Member
Hi all. its been very slow for me so far this month. im in service at home since saturday.i had a phone call from dispatch @8pm saying they have nothing for me now but what is the least amount i will run for? they said there is alot of freight @detroit area but not for our normal rate so will i accept less? it kind of took me by suprise anybody else get a phone call like this? i'm not sure i want to run for less, but if i can't get a load? what do you all think? thanks

Not sure I care for that question, what is the least amount we will run for?....

Going to bed.Fought heavy fog from Virgina to central Ohio.It sucked.But still made it on time, even with the shipper holding me up for some time.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I kinda like the fact they might call and ask if they are having trouble finding a load. All you need to do is tell them your price. No harm no foil.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Been fine from my viewpoint

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
No. Been a bit tough in a few areas. I would rather have them ask then listen to drivers say I would have moved for less instead If sitting. Always better to communicate and go forward. Road king is one of only 2 OTR cargo vans left in the fleet. So that is a tough market and it seems to only get tougher.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I kinda like the fact they might call and ask if they are having trouble finding a load. All you need to do is tell them your price. No harm no foil.

Agreed....your CPM plus whatever profit margin you have set....everyone should have that bottomline number in mind....in case a situation comes up...

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
That and with a lot of the changes we are really pressing for units to be sitting less and moving more.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
with the competition getting more and more...I can understand the pressure to maintain our pricing structure...
with the loss of a few customers another major carrier that did little auto, is now butting into our territory...and the unmarked bandits are growing.
Things never stay the same in any business and we O/O's MUST stay informed as to what is happening in our sector....