October Locations and Banter

guido4475

Not a Member
I understand what every one is saying. And I'm not saying Load One will conform in this way permanently, but in the past, I worked for a carrier that did the same thing, asking the o/o's What is the least you will run for to get us through these hard times.And to remain competitive. So we did.When we tried to raise the rates back up, the customers were like, Oh! no way! Were not paying those high rates again! So The new standard was set.

I don't ask what a load pays when receiving a load offer.I trust dispatch.Some are great, some are not.It all works out in the end.

We are the best.The drivers.The facility.The communication for the customer.If you are here, you are one of the best.No question.No, this is not pom-pom time, but reality time. Look around here. Once a customer calls us, it is a no-worry shipment.Who do you think they are going to feel better about using, us with an excellent service record, keeping the customer up to date as their shipment is in enroute, or a second-rate carrier?

When is the last time anyone has seen a Jaguar on a tow truck? Quality and dependability has a price.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I agree. I think this is a case of time and place and the spot bid market not rates we would give to a standard customer. Competition in the small truck market is fierce. We see way more pricing pressures in this area as compared to the larger class of vehicles. Service is always the best sell.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
One of the biggest advantages I see at Load One is the availability of shipper direct freight. As a percentage based carrier, John is sharing that shipper direct tarriff. Many of the flat rate carriers, even those with large shipper direct freight bases, tend to pay a flat rate equal to that of bid board rates.

One must understand that, in most cases, even the bid board freight is not cheap to the actual shipper. It has just been brokered out to the point that there is little profit left in it. The rates have suffered from too many hands in the cookie jar.

For me at least, I can live with an average between the two as long as there is enough shipper direct freight to help buffer the cheaper rates of the bid board freight....and as long as the bid board freight doesnt fall below an acceptable level.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Partially agree. A ton of our freight is direct, but more and more customers use the boards. For instance we have customers that may only have 4 primary carriers, but they still run it through someone like Active PTM board. The electronic exchange system slowly but surely keeps growing. This is why we have a new dedicated 24 hour team for this area. Anyone can bid, we need to make sure we are watching trends, analyzing, and bidding strategically and smartly. I think our balance is strong. When one compares our overall average rates of pay, compared to a flat rate carrier, I am confident in our averages. Now over the next few months you will see the more "direct" sales team increased significantly. These will be new hires in different markets across the US. We will have the operational revamp completed over the next 60 days, and then we are moving into a revamp and expansion of the sales side. We had to make sure the operational and customer service pieces were ready.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
All this is great but when do the dancing girls start? :D

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Partially agree. A ton of our freight is direct, but more and more customers use the boards. For instance we have customers that may only have 4 primary carriers, but they still run it through someone like Active PTM board. The electronic exchange system slowly but surely keeps growing. This is why we have a new dedicated 24 hour team for this area. Anyone can bid, we need to make sure we are watching trends, analyzing, and bidding strategically and smartly. I think our balance is strong. When one compares our overall average rates of pay, compared to a flat rate carrier, I am confident in our averages. Now over the next few months you will see the more "direct" sales team increased significantly. These will be new hires in different markets across the US. We will have the operational revamp completed over the next 60 days, and then we are moving into a revamp and expansion of the sales side. We had to make sure the operational and customer service pieces were ready.
Sounds like some major advancements...Im impressed!

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You know you need help when you use the ignore feature on your own posts.

guido4475

Not a Member
I agree. I think this is a case of time and place and the spot bid market not rates we would give to a standard customer. Competition in the small truck market is fierce. We see way more pricing pressures in this area as compared to the larger class of vehicles. Service is always the best sell.

So keeping "The service is the best sell" in mind, I think it is more important now than ever to take a look at how we, as drivers, may be able to improve on that.We are the most visual part of the company, I believe. Driving down the road, interacting with a customer, everything.The impact we have with customers is huge, when you really think about it.When a problem arises at a pickup/delivery, are we proactive, finding a solution to the problem in a controlled, pleasant, positive manner, or reactive, flipping out, and adding to the problem in a negative way? Driving down the road.How easy it is to get worked up over an idiot that is screwing up you're smooth driving.But, what we may not know, is that idiot, may be a customer in a hurry to get to a meeting.Look at how many customers have sent pictures of our trucks going down the road, with the driver un-aware? You never know. attitude is everything, along with the image we keep.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So keeping "The service is the best sell" in mind, I think it is more important now than ever to take a look at how we, as drivers, may be able to improve on that.We are the most visual part of the company, I believe. Driving down the road, interacting with a customer, everything.The impact we have with customers is huge, when you really think about it.When a problem arises at a pickup/delivery, are we proactive, finding a solution to the problem in a controlled, pleasant, positive manner, or reactive, flipping out, and adding to the problem in a negative way? Driving down the road.How easy it is to get worked up over an idiot that is screwing up you're smooth driving.But, what we may not know, is that idiot, may be a customer in a hurry to get to a meeting.Look at how many customers have sent pictures of our trucks going down the road, with the driver un-aware? You never know. attitude is everything, along with the image we keep.

That has always been important i don't think anything suddenly makes it more so.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
True, but I think it is always a good reminder and something to think about from time to time. We do the same thing in the office with our staff. Service and how we project to our customers is HUGE! Really nice compliment from one of our customers yesterday on our facebook page that is worth reading. It is a great example of how simple things make such a big impression with OUR customers.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I get a chuckle every time I get to a pickup or delivery, open the doors and flip the cargo lights on in the CargoMax. I guess impressing the guy on the forklift doesnt count for as much, but I get a lot of compliments. I never knew something so simple could make such an impression.