October 2010 Locations

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sitting at the Rodgers TA in MN. In the week that I have been doing this I have learned several things......

1. TS WI-FI is horrible. Now I get why everyone is jumping on the Droid

2. Don't take loads to MT. Pay looks good on paper but the DH out sux. (I kinda knew what I was getting into, I hadn't been to Kalispell in years and have family there)

3. Fabreeze and simple green are a van drivers best friend.
Yes please..all vanners..don't go to Montana!!...:D

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Took a short one yezday, Greenfield, IN to KC, MO. Waiting to load at 0900 back to Louisville. Reading that previous post....the earth must be flat....for some types of equipment.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
where am I? Hmmmm,,,o yea , in a wallyworld lot in Jackson Mississippi. Yes gang, another culture here , well enough said:)

milpig

Expert Expediter
X06col, I am kinda thinking there is not much work for CV's in Kalispell. No biggie though saw some family I have not seen in a few years and still came out ahead.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
X06col, I am kinda thinking there is not much work for CV's in Kalispell. No biggie though saw some family I have not seen in a few years and still came out ahead.

That is the way to think about it...you would have spent the fuel to visit for free had it not been for what we do....so you actually came out ahead on the deal...:D

moose

Veteran Expediter
.Word has it that Laredo is getting jammed up bad,and difficult to get out at full rate right now.He told me a couple of co's were offering their drivers loads at .50 cpm to the truck to get out of there, and a few of the drivers were jumping on that....Imagine that..lol..

It called averaging up a load .
you only get to Laredo ,& alikes, with a good paying load going in . and then take a lower paying load ,or a short run ,out of the bad area . allowing you to keep the wheels ruling at YOUR rate .
drivers that are on a flat rate contract ,will never know that ,as their carrier is doing that for them .

Falligator

Expert Expediter
Got a load from Vienna, Oh to Buffalo, NY for 199 miles, sat in NY for over a day and nothing panned out. So I was thinking about heading up to Cleveland or the Yard, but I'm not so sure...I could head towards Cincy and get a load out of there, but I could also get a load possibly out of Columbus. HMMMM there is my dilema..which way?:eek:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It called averaging up a load .
you only get to Laredo ,& alikes, with a good paying load going in . and then take a lower paying load ,or a short run ,out of the bad area . allowing you to keep the wheels ruling at YOUR rate .
drivers that are on a flat rate contract ,will never know that ,as their carrier is doing that for them .

BUT moose, Laredo is NOT a bad area.....there is no need for discount rates...shippers are getting slashed rates at the excuse of "supply and demand"...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Got a load from Vienna, Oh to Buffalo, NY for 199 miles, sat in NY for over a day and nothing panned out. So I was thinking about heading up to Cleveland or the Yard, but I'm not so sure...I could head towards Cincy and get a load out of there, but I could also get a load possibly out of Columbus. HMMMM there is my dilema..which way?:eek:

just east of Cleveland is as far as i would go....on my dime...

moose

Veteran Expediter
Don't run the Industry ,let the industry runs you .
it is a strategy that works prety well ,if shipper are not doing their research it's their problem .
but you only move your truck on YOUR rates ,because this is something in your control .
(or you can complain about the rates ,and DH out...)
oh yah ,and that's why %tag rate is Sooo hard on the contractor.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
just east of Cleveland is as far as i would go....on my dime...
Ok so dispatch calls...A load going back up to Buffalo from Pittsburgh...AgggH!....Well, I'm broke with only 20$ left to my name, so I couldn't take it. Guess I'm just going to have to go out of service til Friday with no money.:(

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok so dispatch calls...A load going back up to Buffalo from Pittsburgh...AgggH!....Well, I'm broke with only 20$ left to my name, so I couldn't take it. Guess I'm just going to have to go out of service til Friday with no money.:(

You don't have the fleetcard? we were all issued one....sounds like an excuse to me..

Falligator

Expert Expediter
You don't have the fleetcard? we were all issued one....sounds like an excuse to me..
Yeah, just no money for tolls. I don't have my transponder card anymore and they also couldn't get me a load out of there yesterday either, so I'm not so sure I want to go back up there...I called and put myself out of service til tomorrow night at midnight. I've really got no $ left on me since they were going to shut off my cell last week if I didn't give them 266$ This week my van payment is due...., but I will at least have some money on me. I didn't want to go out without some money on me at least in case something happens like a flat tire or something.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Falligator wrote:

Ok so dispatch calls...A load going back up to Buffalo from Pittsburgh...AgggH!....Well, I'm broke with only 20$ left to my name, so I couldn't take it. Guess I'm just going to have to go out of service til Friday with no money.

Yeah, just no money for tolls. I don't have my transponder card anymore and they also couldn't get me a load out of there yesterday either, so I'm not so sure I want to go back up there...I called and put myself out of service til tomorrow night at midnight. I've really got no $ left on me since they were going to shut off my cell last week if I didn't give them 266$ This week my van payment is due...., but I will at least have some money on me. I didn't want to go out without some money on me at least in case something happens like a flat tire or something.

These 2 post are excellent examples for NEWBIES...If you don't have the cash flow to run your business, you have no business being in ANY business........

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

Nothing personal, but are you sure you are in the right business?

bobwg

Expert Expediter
Sitting at the Houston airport cargo area waiting for them to unload my 1 box 300lbs that I get to run down and deliver near Corpus Christie wow been some 30 years since I was last in Corpus Christie at the Navy base my time flys when your having fun:D