Obama Snubs Nation's Heros

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sure is difficult to get whipped up into an un-American anarchist frenzy when comrade Turtle insists on dredging up facts. Killjoy!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
LOL, the fact still remains, HE didn't go!!

He didn't go because there was no American Legion sponsored Salute to Heroes Ball to go to. There were lots of other events that didn't happen that he didn't go to, too.

I and I'll continue to post here and on more then a few sites anything that makes him look bad...
Even if it's a lie? You are crushing all of my perceptions of what it means to be a hero. I and the American people look to the American Veteran as a symbol of hope, of principle, of honor. {cue the music} We look to the American Veteran, both past and present, for the safety and security of our lives and our liberties. {cue the flag} We look to the American Veteran for the preservation of Truth, Justice and the American Way. The American Veteran is our hero. Now you're telling us our Hero would lie to us? {fade to black, go to commercial, we're done here}

I'll keep you busy checking for accuracy!! :D
Not likely. More likely is that I'll tire of your irresponsibility in posting lies, and you'll be unceremoniously dishonorably discharged to the Ignore List.

LOL, if i were in charge of the secret service, id simply send his security detail home, for his entire term!! LOL, id assign them to protect the janitor at the white house before i'd have them protect osamaba...:D
No comment.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Not likely. More likely is that I'll tire of your irresponsibility in posting lies, and you'll be unceremoniously dishonorably discharged to the Ignore List.

lol and you think that bothers me..........lol

and no, i won't deliberately post a lie, i'll just not go out of my way to verify, ill leave that to you ....:D

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
yeap you are right the was no Red White and Blue Hero's Ball Sponored by the American Legion, But the was a Red White and Blue Hero's Ball, it just had a diffent sponsor this year( the USO & TAPS), but i am sure you knew that and your post prove that out, kind of disingenous on your part don't you think!?!? LOL.. but its ok, osamaba didn't go to this Red White and Blue Hero's Ball either.

2009 Heroes Red, White, and Blue Inaugural Ball

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Yea my mom told me from time to time that I was "irresponsible" too, but its served me well all these years!! :D

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
He didn't go because there was no American Legion sponsored Salute to Heroes Ball to go to.

Evidently, this argument has been happening on other sites.
From the Berman Post - yet another blog (see link below):

email from the American legion
Subject: Salute to Heroes inaugural event
To: larry@nam-vet. net
Cc: "March, Joseph H." jmarch@legion. org
Date: Thursday, January 22, 2009, 11:56 AM

Good afternoon Mr. Stimeling,

The American Legion, as it has since on every inauguration day since
1953, hosted the Salute to Heroes Inaugural Banquet & Ball on
January 20th. The quadrennial event is co-sponsored with fourteen
fellow veterans service and military service organizations and honors
recipients of the Medal of Honor. Forty-seven of these heroes
attended this year's event which was held in the Renaissance
Washington DC Hotel.

President Obama was invited but did not attend. Vice-President Joe
Biden did appear, however, and was very warmly received.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Craig Roberts

Media Relations Manager

The American Legion

1608 K Street, NW

Washington, DC 20006

202.263.2982 (direct)

Berman Post: Obama Skips The "Salute to Heroes Inaugural Ball"

Just for comparison's sake, the following article about President Bush' attendance appeared in 2005 in the Air Force Print News Today:

President thanks veterans for service during inaugural ball

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Well, I never said there was no Red White and Blue Hero's Ball Sponsored by the American Legion. It's a true statement, but I never said it.

I said there was no Salute to Heroes Ball sponsored by the American Legion, and there wasn't.

And the Red White and Blue Ball didn't just have a different sponsor this year.

It's a completely different ball and has never had anything to do with the Salute to Heroes Ball that the American Legion has sponsored. It's an important Ball, I think, but keep in mind that the POTUS didn't go to the very-first-ever Red White and Blue Ball in 2005, either.

This year's Red White and Blue Ball was not, absolutely not, sponsored by the USO (the Metro Washington chapter, anyway) and TAPS. The Ball was held specifically as a charity benefit for those two organizations. It had corporate sponsorship. It had the same sponsor this year that it did 4 years ago, namely the Citizens Helping Heroes. Both this year and four years ago, it raised the funds to pay for the event through corporate funding. CHH is a very worthwhile organization, as are their two primary charities.

There were no special interest or benefit Balls on the Presidential Inauguration Committee's list.

"kind of disingenous on your part don't you think!?!?"

Nope. What's disingenuous about it?

Originally Posted by Turtle
He didn't go because there was no American Legion sponsored Salute to Heroes Ball to go to.

Evidently, this argument has been happening on other sites.
I'm shocked. I can fake an e-mail with the best of 'em.

Have you noticed how silent TSO has been of late? No scans of anything that would substantiate his being there. Nothing.

What part of "it's all made up" do you not understand? The whole thing was made up to make Obama look bad. Apparently, many think Obama will be unable to do that on his own.

Find a link, if you can, to the American Legion's Web site that talks about any of this.

For your reading enjoyment:
At inaugural ball, Obama pledges to serve troops | Stars and Stripes

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
you play symmetics, but its not becoming of you. The fact is there was a Red White and Blue Heros Ball, it did benefit the USO and TAPs They are Named as PARTENERS, it does have a corp. sponsor. And it did happen and the man in the presidents office didn't go.

As to the "fake e-mail', turtle, it really is beneath you to think you are the only one thats right and everyone else on the web is wrong, lying, writing fake e-mails and just plain has it in for osamaba (yes I do, but not the whole world lol) that they are just putting stuff out that is totally fake and false....mistaken in facts, sure, deliberate lying, sorry I don't think you are the only one on the web that right.....

PS: as to the e-mail being a fake, we will find out, the phone # listed works, it is the direct line to mr roberts, i left a message, hopefully i'll get a call on fri...

and now i must take leave as i have to run up to alliance Neb. from KC Mo.

Last edited:

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well, I never said there was no Red White and Blue Hero's Ball Sponsored by the American Legion. It's a true statement, but I never said it.

I said there was no Salute to Heroes Ball sponsored by the American Legion, and there wasn't.

And the Red White and Blue Ball didn't just have a different sponsor this year.

It's a completely different ball and has never had anything to do with the Salute to Heroes Ball that the American Legion has sponsored. It's an important Ball, I think, but keep in mind that the POTUS didn't go to the very-first-ever Red White and Blue Ball in 2005, either.

This year's Red White and Blue Ball was not, absolutely not, sponsored by the USO (the Metro Washington chapter, anyway) and TAPS. The Ball was held specifically as a charity benefit for those two organizations. It had corporate sponsorship. It had the same sponsor this year that it did 4 years ago, namely the Citizens Helping Heroes. Both this year and four years ago, it raised the funds to pay for the event through corporate funding. CHH is a very worthwhile organization, as are their two primary charities.

There were no special interest or benefit Balls on the Presidential Inauguration Committee's list.

"kind of disingenous on your part don't you think!?!?"

Nope. What's disingenuous about it?

Originally Posted by Turtle

I'm shocked. I can fake an e-mail with the best of 'em.

Have you noticed how silent TSO has been of late? No scans of anything that would substantiate his being there. Nothing.

What part of "it's all made up" do you not understand? The whole thing was made up to make Obama look bad. Apparently, many think Obama will be unable to do that on his own.

Find a link, if you can, to the American Legion's Web site that talks about any of this.

For your reading enjoyment:
At inaugural ball, Obama pledges to serve troops | Stars and Stripes

Here's the link to the American Legion's Public Relations Division and their Media Contacts which includes Craig Roberts:

American Legion

Since his contact info was readily available, I e-mailed Mr. Roberts and asked him if the Salute To Heroes Ball took place this year and if either Pres. Obama or VP Biden attended. He promptly responded, and the following is the body of his reply (italics mine - and if you think this is also made up, you're free to contact him yourself):

In answer to your inquiry:
The American Legion, as it has on every inauguration evening since 1953, hosted the Salute to Heroes Inaugural Banquet & Ball on January 20th. The quadrennial event is co-sponsored with fourteen veterans service and military service organizations and honors recipients of the Medal of Honor. Forty-seven of these heroes attended this year’s event which was held in the Renaissance Washington DC Hotel.
President Obama was invited but did not attend. Vice-President Joe Biden did appear, however, and was very warmly received. The new President’s absence was understandable considering the unprecedented logistical challenges presented by the vastly increased number of visitors to this inauguration and the necessary attendant security measures. The American Legion, as an organization, does not feel offended or “snubbed.”
Thank you,
Craig
Craig Roberts
Media Relations Manager
The American Legion
1608 K Street, NW
Washington, DC 20006
202.263.2982 (direct)

In spite of the forgiving nature of Mr. Roberts' statement, it's impossible to ignore these facts: (1) The event occurred (2) Obama didn't go, in spite of the fact that Biden was able to overcome the "logistical challenges" to get there. Was it a snub? I guess that's in the eye of the beholder. But to be the first president since 1953 to blow off this event is pretty telling.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
you play symmetics, but its not becoming of you. The fact is the was a Red White and Blue Heros Ball, it did benefit the USO and TAPs They are Named as PARTENERS, it does have a corp. sponsor. And it did happen and the man in the presidents office didn't go.
I'm not playing semantics and you know it. The facts as above are exactly as I stated them, as well as the fact that the president 4 years ago didn't go to it, either.

As to the "fake e-mail', turtle, it really is beneath you to thunk you ar the only one thats right and everyone else on the web is wrong, lying, writing fake e-mails and just plain as at in for osamaba (yes I do, but not the whole world lol) that they are just putting stuff out that is totally fake and false....mistaken in facts, sure, deliberate lying, sorry I don't think you are the only one on the web that right.....
The whole thing beginning with TSO's original post was a fake. He made it up, and he got caught doing it. You think someone wouldn't fake an e-mail to silence the doubters? No one would make up a lie to cover their butt on another lie or to foster a lie they favor? Puhleeze.

I've been on the Internet since before it was even called the Internet, and I have learned how to spot a fake e-mail from a mile away. And that one's not even a good one. It tries too hard. It looks a little too good to be true. It answers all of the questions a little too precisely, and touches all of the issues surrounding this mess, and offers not once scintilla of additional information, not one little tid bit about the event other than what is at issue on the Blogs. Nothing. Not even an "It was well attended". And the "was warmly received" was a bit over the top for a formal reply from Media Relations. It answers the questions, exactly as one would want then to be answered, so that when anyone reads it then instantly all of their doubts would disappear. Poof. See? I told you so. Nya, nya, nya.

Also, the Salutation and Closing are inconsistence with the form used inside the e-mail, something that would be very unlikely to occur considering the formality of the content from the Media Relations department of the Legion. But it might.

The person who copied and pasted the e-mail, headers included for effect, left out one critical component that makes it impossible for him to have received the e-mail, tho, and that's cetainly one big red flag of authenticity.

When you take all of these together, it casts serious doubt as to the authenticity of the e-mail. The names, e-mail addresses and phone numbers can be found on most of the press releases from the Legion, and certainly on their Web Site. What you can't find on their Web site, though, is any mention of the Salute to Heroes Ball that they sponsored this year. Not one word.

No, I don't think everyone on the Web is wrong, lying, writing fake e-mails and has it in for Obama. But some Bloggers do. And some, without a doubt, unquestionably, absolutely will put stuff out there that is totally fake and false. TSO's one of them. And people read it and they believe it. Then we've got dear Julie from the Cleveland Dealer yankin' stuff out of news stories from four years ago and inserting it into today's story as if it were true. Sorry, that's not a mistake in facts. That's makin' shіt up no matter how you want to spin it.

Then all this crap takes on a life of its own, spreads across the net like Ebola, gets read by bazillions of people, and because they read it on the Internet, it's real.

Well, it's not real. It's made up! I don't care how badly you wish it to be true, it's still made up.

The posting of now a second letter, with identical wording, with the new addition of even more too good to be true answers that should shut people up. But, it now has a different Salutation, and a different Closing, which is VERY inconsistent with a Media Relations department.

I'm pretty sure that letter wasn't sent to you, Chef, nor are the accompanying comments from you. That's cut-n-pasted all the way. If it is an e-mail to you, I'd love to see the full headers of that e-mail. hehe

Someone saw the first letter and decided there was one little question left unanswered, so they piled a little extra make-up on the made-up and there ya go.

It's classic. It really is. The "and if you think this is also made up, you're free to contact him yourself" line is one that is betting that people don't, and if someone does, and posts a response, the replies to that will be, "You made that up."

Unless you can come up with a link to a credible news organization that knows a thing or two about fact checking, or a link to the American Legion Web site that talks about their Ball this year to salute CMH winners, you might as well just chalk this one up to being gullible and biting the bait hard, and let it go.

And you might want to consider being a little more skeptical of things you read on the Internet in the future. But you won't, because you're part of it. You come to conclusions with no evidence, and you believe what you want to believe regardless of whether it is true or not, simply because you prefer your beliefs to the truth. I prefer the truth.

jmore1276

Seasoned Expediter
First. Maybe He's actually working on important things like BILLS that will get our veterans better treatment when they come home instead of cutting there benefits and letting the VA hospitals fall into tatters.

Second. Consider the source. For someone who claims he was in the military he sure seems to have the OPPOSITE of the "NO MAN LEFT BEHIND PHILOSOPHY". From what I've read from chef...it's "me me me"...screw the other guy.

jmore1276

Seasoned Expediter
He also seems to despise Unions who are one of the largest supporters of veterans not only financially but in terms of awareness. Ever Notice the POW-MIA Flags at the plants? The T-shirts. The support groups for War Veterans. I know...he was in an ARMY once when he was 19 and never looked back. He might have had to see that guy asking him not to leave him behind. OOOOHHHHH. :D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Well, if I consider the source too carefully, I run the risk of letting it become personal, and any sort of civil discussion would get flushed. You have to keep it to the topic at hand, and not introduce too many extraneous things from outside this thread that only cloud the issues at hand. Personal attacks serve no purpose. It's best to try and stick to what was posted, rather than to who posted it.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I had to stop for fuel here, so... Turtle, you need to sit back, take a deep breath and chili, you are losing it..I didn't get any letter and I didn't post any letter..... I made a phone call and left a message to a answering machine that had a voice recording my a man who said he was Craig Roberts Media Relations Manager for The American Legion. As I said, I hope to get a call back tommorrow. Again you need to relax here, you are now accusing people of things they didn't do .......kind of like lying and making things up......:D

Back on the road to Neb!

Last edited:

jmore1276

Seasoned Expediter
Well, if I consider the source too carefully, I run the risk of letting it become personal, and any sort of civil discussion would get flushed. You have to keep it to the topic at hand, and not introduce too many extraneous things from outside this thread that only cloud the issues at hand. Personal attacks serve no purpose. It's best to try and stick to what was posted, rather than to who posted it.

Point taken.

When I said chef...I meant the Far Right in general. :) I'll keep it general in the future. I have met my nemesis though and it's fun.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Sorry, my bad.

That was a typo on my part. It should have been addressed towards Pilgrim in that paragraph, but I guess I still had you on my mind.

I'm not lying and making things up or accusing anyone of something they didn't do. I simply made a mental slip-up akin to my Muslim faith. I've done it before and I'll probably do it again.

It is also quite likely that is was a casualty of replying to what was posted, rather than to who posted it. I rarely address someone by name in a posting directly, and while I knew Pilgrim posted it, I must have mentally discarded that information because I had been addressing most of the replies in your direction, tho not necessarily to you specifically. When I typed in your name instead of Pilgrim, it was a mistake simply due to the fact that I'm dealing with a lot of information here, and some of it got jumbled up a bit.

I certainly hope that such a blunder won't distract you, Pilgrim or others from the issues here.

Last edited:

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm not playing semantics and you know it. The facts as above are exactly as I stated them, as well as the fact that the president 4 years ago didn't go to it, either.

He went to this one - it was his FIRST STOP:

transparent.gif
WASHINGTON -- President Bush addresses supporters at the "Salute to Heroes" inaugural ball here Jan. 20. The president and first lady Laura Bush made the event their first stop on a tour of inaugural galas. The ball, held since 1953, honors recipients of the Medal of Honor, the nation's highest military award, and the newly inaugurated president. (Department of Defense photo by Army Sgt. 1st Class Doug Sample)

by Army Sgt. 1st Class Doug Sample
American Forces Press Service

1/21/2005 - WASHINGTON -- President Bush and first lady Laura Bush were greeted with resounding cheers as they made the first stop of their whirlwind tour of inaugural galas here Jan. 20.

At the "Salute to Heroes" inaugural ball, hundreds of veterans from across the country, along with their wives and families, greeted the president with a resounding show of support.

Vice President Dick Cheney and his wife, Lynne, stopped in later as they made their way through the inaugural circuit.

The whole thing beginning with TSO's original post was a fake. He made it up, and he got caught doing it. You think someone wouldn't fake an e-mail to silence the doubters? No one would make up a lie to cover their butt on another lie or to foster a lie they favor? Puhleeze.

I've been on the Internet since before it was even called the Internet, and I have learned how to spot a fake e-mail from a mile away. And that one's not even a good one. It tries too hard. It looks a little too good to be true. It answers all of the questions a little too precisely, and touches all of the issues surrounding this mess, and offers not once scintilla of additional information, not one little tid bit about the event other than what is at issue on the Blogs. Nothing. Not even an "It was well attended". And the "was warmly received" was a bit over the top for a formal reply from Media Relations. It answers the questions, exactly as one would want then to be answered, so that when anyone reads it then instantly all of their doubts would disappear. Poof. See? I told you so. Nya, nya, nya.

Also, the Salutation and Closing are inconsistence with the form used inside the e-mail, something that would be very unlikely to occur considering the formality of the content from the Media Relations department of the Legion. But it might.

The person who copied and pasted the e-mail, headers included for effect, left out one critical component that makes it impossible for him to have received the e-mail, tho, and that's cetainly one big red flag of authenticity.

When you take all of these together, it casts serious doubt as to the authenticity of the e-mail. The names, e-mail addresses and phone numbers can be found on most of the press releases from the Legion, and certainly on their Web Site. What you can't find on their Web site, though, is any mention of the Salute to Heroes Ball that they sponsored this year. Not one word.

No, I don't think everyone on the Web is wrong, lying, writing fake e-mails and has it in for Obama. But some Bloggers do. And some, without a doubt, unquestionably, absolutely will put stuff out there that is totally fake and false. TSO's one of them. And people read it and they believe it. Then we've got dear Julie from the Cleveland Dealer yankin' stuff out of news stories from four years ago and inserting it into today's story as if it were true. Sorry, that's not a mistake in facts. That's makin' shіt up no matter how you want to spin it.

Then all this crap takes on a life of its own, spreads across the net like Ebola, gets read by bazillions of people, and because they read it on the Internet, it's real.

Well, it's not real. It's made up! I don't care how badly you wish it to be true, it's still made up.

The posting of now a second letter, with identical wording, with the new addition of even more too good to be true answers that should shut people up. But, it now has a different Salutation, and a different Closing, which is VERY inconsistent with a Media Relations department.

I'm pretty sure that letter wasn't sent to you, Chef, nor are the accompanying comments from you. That's cut-n-pasted all the way. If it is an e-mail to you, I'd love to see the full headers of that e-mail. hehe

Someone saw the first letter and decided there was one little question left unanswered, so they piled a little extra make-up on the made-up and there ya go.

It's classic. It really is. The "and if you think this is also made up, you're free to contact him yourself" line is one that is betting that people don't, and if someone does, and posts a response, the replies to that will be, "You made that up."

I don't gamble and I don't bluff - no need to. I also don't post phony e-mails, your self-proclaimed analytical expertise notwithstanding. See below.

Unless you can come up with a link to a credible news organization that knows a thing or two about fact checking, or a link to the American Legion Web site that talks about their Ball this year to salute CMH winners, you might as well just chalk this one up to being gullible and biting the bait hard, and let it go.

At the risk of being redundant, below is the contact info for Mr. Roberts from the American Legion website; below that is the link to the American Legion - it includes the direct phone number for Mr. Roberts, and also the link that reads "Contact Craig Roberts". If you click on this link it will enable you to send him an e-mail. I would encourage everyone (or instead, perhaps a neutral moderator) on this site to call or e-mail Mr Roberts and ask him if this event took place and if Obama attended.

Craig Roberts
Media Relations Manager
The American Legion
National Headquarters Washington, DC
(202) 263-2982
Contact Craig Roberts

American Legion

And you might want to consider being a little more skeptical of things you read on the Internet in the future. But you won't, because you're part of it. You come to conclusions with no evidence, and you believe what you want to believe regardless of whether it is true or not, simply because you prefer your beliefs to the truth. I prefer the truth.

It is that skepticism that leads me to look for other sources (like the sponsoring organization itself). Call or e-mail him yourself and see what happens.