Obama Snubs Nation's Heros

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I bet this makes the left Proud....

Obama Snubs Nation's Heroes, Becomes the First President to Skip Ball Honoring Medal of Honor Recipients in Over 50 Years

Obama Snubs Nation's Heroes, Becomes the First President to Skip Ball Honoring Medal of Honor Recipients in Over 50 Years | Cleveland Leader

Obama Snubs Nation's Heroes, Becomes the First President to Skip Ball Honoring Medal of Honor Recipients in Over 50 Years
Submitted by Julie on January 21, 2009 - 10:13pm. Elections Elections 2008 News Politics U.S. Government U.S. Politics World Politics
Barack Obama may have stumbled over his words briefly during his inauguration, but he made an even bigger blunder later Tuesday evening. The newly sworn-in President opted not to appear at what should have been one of the most important Balls on his agenda that evening - The Salute to Heroes Inaugural Ball.

The Salute to Heroes Inaugural Ball was begun in 1953 for President Dwight Eisenhower's inauguration. The event recognized recipients of the Medal of Honor, the nation's highest military award. There were 48 Medal of Honor recipients in attendance, who were undoubtedly disappointed by the Commander-in-Chief's failure to show. Over the past 56 years and 14 inaugurations, no President has skipped this event - until now.

The Salute to Heroes Inaugural Ball is sponsored by the American Legion, and co-sponsored by 13 other veteran's service organizations, including those such as the Paralyzed Veterans of America and the Military Order of the Purple Heart.

Instead of attending this ball honoring our nation's heroes, Obama was busy making stops at 10 other official balls. Obama and his wife's first stop was at the Neighborhood Ball. From there they went to the Home State Ball for Illinois and Hawaii, the Commander-in-Chief Ball, the Youth Inaugural Ball, and the Home State Ball for Delaware and Pennsylvania. They finished off the night with brief appearances at the Mid-Atlantic, Western, Midwest, Eastern, and Southern regional Balls.

Celebrities were a plenty at the balls, with Stevie Wonder, Shakira, Mary. J. Blige, Faith Hill, Jay-Z, Alicia Keys, Adam Levine, will.i.am, Sting, Mariah Carey, and Leonardo DiCaprio in attendance at the Neighborhood Ball. In addition, the other nine balls also featured a star-studded lineup including Kanye West and Kid Rock at the Youth Ball, Marc Anthony at the Western Ball, and Cheryl Crow at the Western Ball.

It was the party without all of the celebrities that Obama skipped. The very people who he sought to have support him during his candidacy and campaign, who have fought to protect this country, were snubbed in favor of publicity and the opportunity to rub shoulders - yet again - with the out-of-touch Hollywood elite.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well ain't that a kick in the head!!

BTW...Paralyzed Veterans of America is a great organization...it is my charity of choice and one I support whenever I have a few extra dollars in the kitty....not bad for a Canuck eh?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That article is a stellar example of really bad journalism. The very first line is a misrepresentation of the truth, and it goes downhill fast with the "reporter's" agenda in tow. The "Cleveland Dealer" isn't even a new organization, it's a Blog.
A Bloooooggggg.

Fact is, Obama wasn't even scheduled to be at the Salute to Heroes Ball this time, nor were they expecting him to be there. He didn't "snub" anybody. The Presidential Inauguration Committee had 10 official Balls on the schedule, and the Salute to Heroes Ball wasn't one of them, so it shouldn't come as a shock to anyone that he didn't show up there.

The 10 official Balls that the President was scheduled to attend:

_ Neighborhood Inaugural Ball at the Washington Convention Center. _ Obama Home States (Illinois and Hawaii) Inaugural Ball at the Washington Convention Center.
_ Commander in Chief’s Ball at the National Building Museum.
_ Youth Inaugural Ball at the Washington Hilton.
_ Biden Home States (Pennsylvania and Delaware) Inaugural Ball at the Washington Convention Center.
_ Mid-Atlantic Inaugural Ball at the Washington Convention Center.
_ Western Inaugural Ball at the Washington Convention Center.
_ Midwest Inaugural Ball at the Washington Convention Center.
_ Southern Inaugural Ball at the National Guard Armory. _ Eastern Inaugural Ball at Union Station.

He attended all of the official Balls, though his appearances at the final five were very brief.

The major unofficial Balls included, none of which Obama attended:

_ Congressional Black Caucus Inaugural Ball at the Capitol Hilton.
_ Creative Coalition Inaugural Ball at the Harman Center for the Arts.
_ Recording Industry Association of America’s ball for Feeding America.
_ BET’s Inaugural Ball at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel.
_ Africa on the Potomac inaugural celebration at Crystal Gateway Marriott in Arlington, Va.
_ American Music Inaugural Ball at the Marriott Wardman Park Hotel.
_ Inaugural Purple Ball at the Fairmont Hotel.
_ Human Rights Campaign’s Equality Ball at the Renaissance Mayflower Hotel.
_ Inaugural Peace Ball at the Smithsonian National Postal Museum.
_ Impact Film Fund ball.

If Julie, the eteemed reporter from the Cleveland Dealer, and all those Bloggerific Web sites that rarely let facts get in the way of a good Blogger knee-jerk reaction, had bothered to watch the Inaugural, they would have seen that seated right down front near to the podium were 38 members of the Congressional Medal of Honor who could attend Washington this year. Obama gestured to them on more than one occasion during his time on the Capitol Steps podium. Seated next to the Congressional Medal of Honor recipients were the surviving members of the 332nd Fighter Group, the Tuskegee Airmen.

In his speech Obama specifically singled out the military as a noble example of our heroes both past and present, and to what they fought and died for, and why all of need to be a little more like them.

"As we consider the road that unfolds before us, we remember with humble gratitude those brave Americans who, at this very hour, patrol far-off deserts and distant mountains. They have something to tell us, just as the fallen heroes who lie in Arlington whisper through the ages. We honor them not only because they are guardians of our liberty, but because they embody the spirit of service; a willingness to find meaning in something greater than themselves. And yet, at this moment — a moment that will define a generation — it is precisely this spirit that must inhabit us all."

While attending the Commander in Chief’s Ball at the National Building Museum, he met with several Congressional Medal of Honor recipients, as well as other former and current members of the military. He also talked via satellite to the troops stationed in Iraq and Afghanistan. The First Couple split on the dance floor, with the First Lady dancing with Marine Sergeant Elidio Guillen of Madera, California while the President had as a dance partner Army Sergeant Margaret H. Herrera of San Antonio, Texas.

armymil-28694-2009-01-21-150134a.jpg

Sergeant Herrera was deployed to Kuwait in 2004 and was on the Armed Forces Inaugural Committee to help coordinate military involvement at the events. She works in Washington and recently took dance lessons, not knowing she’d be chosen to dance with Obama. It turns out, those lessons paid off.

And is the president a good dancer?

"Well, he’s my boss now so I am going to say yes," she said. Smart girl.

miker

Seasoned Expediter
Well said Turtle, it's nice to see someone posting some truth about the new President instead of being so quick to bash his every move. Those who feel they can do better are free to run for office in 2012.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Yes he did go to the Commanders Ball, this was the Ball Honoring Medal of Honor Recipients, one the President Bush found his way to, both times, in 2005 making it his 1st stop.

And i have to ask, while I know blogs are the MSM, are you saying the article is false??

And I don't care if it isn't on the "Offical Ball List or not, this is the 1st time a new president hasn't been to THIS BALL in years...something like 14 inaugurals..., I guess those previous Presidents must of though that the American Legion and other sponors of this ball for Heros was important, at least more important then this pos... Oh, and as far as an "agenda", you bet...

President Thanks Veterans For Service During Inaugural Ball

Jan. 21, 2005

http://www.defenselink.mil/news/news....aspx?id=24307
By Sgt. 1st Class Doug Sample, USA
American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, Jan. 21, 2005 – President Bush and first lady Laura Bush were greeted with resounding cheers as they made the first stop of their whirlwind tour of inaugural galas Jan. 20 at the Capital Hilton here.

Kenneth Stumpf, an Army squad leader in Vietnam who was awarded the Medal of Honor and the Purple Heart, pledges allegiance to the flag at the "Salute to Heroes" inaugural ball at the Capital Hilton in Washington, D.C., Jan. 20. Stumpf said the Medal of Honor belongs to all of those in his squad. "I did not earn this (medal) alone," he said. Photo by Sgt. 1st Class Doug Sample, USA
(Click photo for screen-resolution image);high-resolution image available.

At the "Salute to Heroes" inaugural ball, hundreds of veterans from across the country, along with their wives and families, greeted the president with a resounding show of support.

Vice President Richard Cheney and his wife, Lynne, stopped in later as they made their way through the inaugural circuit.

Kenneth Stumpf, one of many Medal of Honor recipients who squeezed through tight security inside the hotel to see the president, was particularly happy to be on hand. "I spent my entire life in the military, so whoever was the president, that was my commander-in-chief," he said. "It just so happens I really like this one."

The American Legion sponsors the ball, which recognizes recipients of Medal of Honor, the nation's highest military award. It started in 1953 for President Dwight D. Eisenhower's first inauguration.

Event co-sponsors include 13 other veterans service organizations, among them the Military Order of the Purple Heart and the Paralyzed Veterans of America.

With applause and cheers often interrupting his comments, the president used his brief appearance to thank veterans for their service.

"They have set a fantastic example for those who wear the uniform today," he said. "Our veterans who have served all across the world in the cause of freedom, they have done so in a selfless way and for that, this nation is eternally grateful."

The president also used the occasion to reiterate points made during his inaugural address, speaking on the importance of freedom and saying that United States will succeed in bringing democracy to Iraq.

"We believe in freedom, and we know that free societies will be peaceful societies," the president said.

He also said that by ending tyranny, such as that imposed in Iraq by Saddam Hussein, the United States "Will have fulfilled the obligations of our founding fathers who recognized that every man and woman on the face of the earth should be free."

With the Joints Chiefs of Staff seated on each side of the podium, the president acknowledged the difficulties being placed on the military. "We've asked hard things of our troops and the families of our troops," he said. But he noted the progress made in Afghanistan and Iraq.

"Think about what has happened in a very short period of time," he said. "The people of Afghanistan have been liberated by our troops and our friends the Afghans went to the polls by the millions for the first time in 5,000 years," he said. "Very shortly, because of the great work of our military, and the military of our friends, the people of Iraq will be voting. This is a major achievement, and it's a major milestone in the advance of liberty."

The president admitted that bringing liberty to Iraq "has not been easy," but "it's going to happen," he emphasized.

"And when it does, our military, and those of us who have been fortunate enough to be involved with our military, will be able to look back and say we did our duty, we did our duty for freedom, and we did our duty for generations of Americans to come."

Before leaving, the president again expressed thanks to the audience, telling those veterans who have served and those who are now serving, "I am incredibly proud to be your commander in chief."

Outside the ballroom, Sgt. Maj. of the Army Kenneth Preston was enjoying the night's events and said the president's inaugural address and the theme of the "Salute to Heroes" ball gave recognition to the men and women who wear the uniform.

"Being an Army at war and supporting a nation at war," he said, "it's important that we recognize our heroes (and) that we pause for a moment and reflect on their courage, their sacrifice and their dedication. I very am proud of what the men and women of the armed forces are accomplishing, and what they stand for in this country."

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And i have to ask, while I know blogs are the MSM, are you saying the article is false??

Turtle can really be a buzz killer man. Like he looks up the facts and just presents them with no hidden agenda. Its like super hard to get all whipped up over an article that doesn't distort facts, take quotes out of context and in general play fast and free with the truth. Totally bogus man, totally.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
The fact is, the man didn't go.....He must be an elitist in that he is better then the past presidents during the last 14 inaugurals who made it there....:D

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Chef..The American Legion doesn't seem to be upset? at least publicly...they must have been informed of this as they had all them other recipients at the other ball....?

Sheesh...if one President goes bowling on Inaugeration Day do they all have to bowl for those who follow??

I notice he also snubbed all 3 Black Balls....Now does that put him behind the 8 ball for that?*L*

Last edited:

Scott101

Seasoned Expediter
I notice he also snubbed all 3 Black Balls....Now does that put him behind the 8 ball for that?*L*

That was a good idea. It would have been pretty embarrassing if he was at the hip hop ball (or whichever ball it was) when Jay Z and young jeezy (or whatever his name is) let loose with the racial rants.

Obama really should publicly denounce their statements considering he has said he likes jay z.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Hey I posted the article to show the pos as he is. And yes I have an agenda. If you are ok with him, more power to you. As for the AM legion bein ok with it, my mom doesn't really care that i am a complete azz for the most part either, well as you said, at least not publicly!!:D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey I posted the article to show the pos as he is. And yes I have an agenda. If you are ok with him, more power to you. As for the AM legion bein ok with it, my mom doesn't really care that i am a complete azz for the most part either, well as you said, at least not publicly!!:D

I didn't say I was ok with him....just pickin apart your agenda abit....

Its the Libra in me...I try to see both sides and balance the scales....its not my fault!...the stars made me do it....*L*

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Regardless if they were official or not, Obama made a choice. Needless to say, Clinton made a choice too... the morally correct one. Obama's gonna be a great one for breaking tradition. No surprise there.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
LOL, see i am not looking to balance anything, i am not about Sharing the anything, yes i have an agenda, ill post as much negative as i can, and nothing positive, not that i look forward to anything psoitive from him to begin with.

And the "you" bein ok whith him, was meant in general, not at you personally...

miker

Seasoned Expediter
LOL, see i am not looking to balance anything, i am not about Sharing the anything, yes i have an agenda, ill post as much negative as i can, and nothing positive, not that i look forward to anything psoitive from him to begin with.

And the "you" bein ok whith him, was meant in general, not at you personally...

you do know that most insurance plans will cover Anger Management courses,right ??

it's ok to agree to disagree and then move on

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
lolthat is good, but i have no desire to "move on", you can look at it as just a avg joe doin what the msm did to bush for 8 yrs,, get use to it. :D

oh no anger here at all , i am totally enjoying this...in a "sadistic" kind of way....:D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Well Chef, you're gonna really get a sadistic joyride out of this. :D

"Yes he did go to the Commanders Ball, this was the Ball Honoring Medal of Honor Recipients, one the President Bush found his way to, both times, in 2005 making it his 1st stop."

Obama didn't go to the Salute to Heroes Ball because it wasn't on the official list of the Presidential Inauguration Committee. It wasn't even on the list of the major Unofficial Balls. In years past, that Ball was on the list, as a part of the Commander In Chief Ball, and that's why the other Presidents showed up. It's precisely that simple. President Bush managed to find his way to the Salute to Heroes Ball both times because it was on the official list and it took place at the same location as the CinC Ball (which was at the Capitol, both times, which is probably why it was so easy for him to find it <giggle>). If it wasn't on the list he wouldn't have shown up.

"And I don't care if it isn't on the "Offical Ball List or not,..."

Now you know why you're not in charge of the Presidential Inauguration Committee, nor the Secret Service.

"...this is the 1st time a new president hasn't been to THIS BALL in years...something like 14 inaugurals..."

Yep. First time ever, since the Ball was first put together specifically for Eisenhower.

"And i have to ask, while I know blogs are the MSM, are you saying the article is false??"

Yes the article is false, and it's even more false than I first imagined. The entire article was written based on the original Blog entry by a guy named TOS, which was mainly lies using the name of Medal of Honor recipients to push propaganda. In the Blog comments someone called him on it and he got really defensive at first, shifted blame next, and has been either backtracking like crazy, or dead silent ever since.

The whole thing's a lie, and the article is based on that lie. It's a finely crafted lie, as many facts are included, but those facts are presented to paint an illusion instead of the truth.

Go to the American Legion Web site and see what they have to say about it all. Nothing. Not one word.

This despite TOS's assertions that, "For the record, a PR person at The Legion just told me the story will be up with pictures tomorrow morning on their website."

In a later Blog entry he laments (poor, poor pitiful me) that the American Legion didn't help his case by putting up a story on their Web site commending Obama for being at the CinC Ball. (There was no such story on the American Legion site.)

He's been backtracking ever since, and finally wrote:
"I really wish I hadn’t brought it up in the first place now only because of the craziness."

He'll try to ignore it and move on as quickly as possible, hoping that memories are fleeting.
This ain’t Hell, but you can see it from here Blog Archive Obama blows off Medal of Honor recipients [Jonn]

But as to the competency of the article from the prestigious Cleveland Dealer, the first line is a misrepresentation of the truth, as well as containing personal opinion presented as fact. The second line does the same thing, starting off with a misrepresentation of the truth, quickly followed by personal opinion in the same line. The article contains many facts, most of it copied word for word, some of it rephrased, from a a couple of different AP News articles (or Reuters) from this year and from fours years ago, but it also omits several key facts of the story (because those facts are in opposition to the writer's agenda).

The second paragraph is word for word from an AP News story from 4 years ago, except for the final sentence, which the writer added to make her case. The first two thirds of the third paragraph (which is a single sentence) is a direct quote from the AP, and then the final third is something that the writer came up with on her own, for obvious reasons.

I wonder, other than the Paralyzed Veterans of America and the Military Order of the Purple Heart, who were the other 11 sponsoring organizations this year? For that matter, I wonder if even those two organizations had anything to do with the one this year. You know why those two organizations were listed in the article, it's because they were the only two that were listed in the press articles from 2005's Ball. There have been no news stories, or announcements on any of the organization's Web sites listing who the other 13 sponsors were for this year's Ball.

She made it up. Just flat out made it up. Others read it, and they believed it.

The rest is predictable enough, with the first line of the 4th paragraph being the writer's, and the rest of it, and the 5th paragraph, being copied from other sources. The final paragraph is all the opinion of the writer.

And just for the record...
On Sunday, President Elect Obama and V.P. Biden placed a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Arlington National Cemetery.

On Monday he made an unannouced visit to Walter Reed Army Medical Center and met with the wounded from Iraq and Afghanistan.

On Tuesday the President attended 10 official balls including the Commander in Chief's Ball at the National Building Museum. (Free of charge for any enlisted personnel)

Take that to mean anything you like.

Internet Blogs are no different than 4 truckers sitting at a table in a restaurant. The only difference is, you won't believe 95% of what the truckers say, but when you read it in print, you believe it 100%. You have to be very careful at what you accept at face value on the Internet.

Normally, when you read something in a magazine or in a newspaper, there is some journalistic responsibility behind it all. There used to be a saying, "It's true, I read it in the paper," and people could take that for being true. Now, people actually say, "It's true, I read it on the Internet," and because they read it, they believe it with the same confidence that used to be with newspapers. While it's true that responsible journalism is taking quite a hit in the newspapers these days, thanks in large part to a generation of journalists who got their training on the Web, they still rarely print out-and-out lies passed off as the truth. They check facts and get at least two confirmations before running the story (most of the time, and when they don't, it comes back to bite them every time).

The Bloggers don't do that. They just make shіt up. And people believe it.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
LOL, the fact still remains, HE didn't go!! I and I'll continue to post here and on more then a few sites anything that makes him look bad... I'll keep you busy checking for accuracy!! :D

turtle wrote:

Now you know why you're not in charge of the Presidential Inauguration Committee, nor the Secret Service.

LOL, if i were in charge of the secret service, id simply send his security detail home, for his entire term!! LOL, id assign them to protect the janitor at the white house before i'd have them protect osamaba...:D