Nuvi 465T

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Not being able to fix the time zone to eastern would be a big issue with me. It's bad enough having to keep track of the ever-changing time on the cell phone. Nothing like being near a time zone border, setting the alarm on the phone, and then wake up to find the phone is now working off a different cell tower in another time zone.

As for the goofy routing, it may depend on the type of truck you set up in the profile, "over the road" or "delivery". If it's set for "over the road" I would imagine that it will highly favor Interstates, for example. And if the truck is big enough, it'll favor STAA routes, even if it's not the most direct route.

Here's a pretty intense review of the unit, lots of pics, goes through pretty much everything on how to use it.
Garmin nuvi 465T Truck GPS Review (GPSmagazine.com)

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The link's a good look at what the unit does. Thanks, Shelled a Lot. They list automatic time zone as a pro. Why couldn't there be another option?

Even if I forget about the incredibly stupid route it gave me, why wouldn't it put you on 57 south off 146 instead of staying on back roads? Hmmm...

I went back and looked at the comments. It appears others take issue with the routing.

Last edited:

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
It just goes to show that even with all this technology. The old standby, the paper atlas is good to look at to get an overview of our routes.

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
I take it the Garmin 465T doesnt give you the options to select from Truck practical,truck quickest,truck emergency,truck shortest and so on.Also does it give you a option for county rounds or not?I know these are options the worldnav has.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The link's a good look at what the unit does. Thanks, Shelled a Lot. They list automatic time zone as a pro. Why couldn't there be another option?
Most people actually do prefer to have the Time Zone automatically change to wherever you are, same as Streets and Trips lists all times in local times. But most of the trucking industry operates in the eastern time zone, including many national carriers out of California. This is something that needs to be addressed in a GPS unit marketed for trucks.

Fortunately, it's a relatively easy fix to add the option of selecting static or dynamic time zones with a firmware update. It all depends on how many calls and e-mails they get on it.

Truck Quickest and Shortest is another one that is pretty important. That may all be moot if it's too focused on the STAA routing, but it's something that's needed.

I went back and looked at the comments. It appears others take issue with the routing.
There are usually some rather large routing issues with every new unit that comes out, even though they all use the same map data. But each unit has its own routing algorithms for each vehicle type, and with this one being brand new for trucking, trying to take all of the vehicle dimensions and other factors into account, it may take them a while to get the bugs worked out and get the routing tightened up.

One that drive me crazy is I can be sitting in Milton, Brantford, anywhere over there towards on Ontario, and if it's set for Truck as the vehicle type, it refuses to route me into the State via Buffalo. It wants to go through Sarnia. Change it to Car, and it's fine.

Sometimes I have to change the vehicle type while en route and have it calculate again, just to use Car for one portion and Truck for another.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Every routing thing I own has the border crossings in it as favorites so I can add them to a route, otherwise as you said, routes you to Sarnia/Port Huron every time. never understood why, Detroit is shorter if you are westbound into the US 95 % of the time, and customs is waaaaay better at Detroit.

ritasroy

Seasoned Expediter
Cool, what settings did it ask you for about your truck? (just size or what?)

It asks how high you are, width, axle weight, lenght,
What hazmat you have . You set up the truck and save it.
Then depending on the load you can change what needs to
be changed without redoing the truck setup.

So far we really like it

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just finished my second run with the 465 and it worked great this time. It calculates ETA different than the 330 does and seems to be closer to what I actually do.

I got a response from Garmin to my e-mail. He claims to know nothing about any complaints about the voice volume. On the time, too bad, that's the way it is. He suggested I update the unit on-line, which is the very first thing I did with it. Wouldn't he be aware that there are no updates for this unit yet? Guess not.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm wondering what kind of parameters they used to decide that a road isn't a "preferred truck route." For example, in Michigan US 23 and M32 are not preferred truck routes. Also, in Mi, In, and Il, the unit showed the speed limit for cars.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
while i haven"t bought the 465t yet, id handle the volume issue by running it through the altec laning 120v speaker system i use for my laptop, no more problem...the 465t does have a "audio" out line jack....

Dreammaker

Seasoned Expediter
while i haven"t bought the 465t yet, id handle the volume issue by running it through the altec laning 120v speaker system i use for my laptop, no more problem...the 465t does have a "audio" out line jack....

If it's got a line out, then they have hidden it pretty well in the pictures. However, if it does have a line out socket, then there's no problem. I was under the impression that there was no way to hook up earphones or cassette adapter to the gizmo.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Yeap you are right, i looked at the wrong line on the spec page at garmin, it DOESN'T have a headphone jack or audio outline... sorry for the mis-info...guess we are back to square one on the volume issue...that is unless you are skilled enough to open it up (voiding the warranty) and adding your own outline......

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the update Highway...keep us informed...i was gungho to buy one, but i am glad i waited...i am not in a "BIG" truck, just a cargo van, all i want is a GPS that will keep me off the little secondary roads that are for cars and farm equipment...so maybe the 465T will work for me, but i'll continue to wait and see....

Dreammaker

Seasoned Expediter
The only workaround seems to be through bluetooth. I don't use bluetooth. Considered it a couple of times. But when I was doing research, I found a set of bluetooth speakers that you hang on your visor. Might work.

wsteiger85

Seasoned Expediter
So has anyone found out if the 465 or worldnav is better I wanna get one just wanna get the right one. So if anyone has studied both please let me know.

Dreammaker

Seasoned Expediter

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I read somewhere that if you set the volume while the unit is not in the cradle, it's set to a lower volume, but if you set it while in the cradle, it's louder.