Nuvi 465T

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Was over on Garmin's site looking around and found this. A Nuvi465T that is for trucks (allows for height and hazmat routing). It also says it has the ful NTTS breakdown directory installed as well as "truck friendly" POI's.

Anyone seen this unit for real?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Was over on Garmin's site looking around and found this. A Nuvi465T that is for trucks (allows for height and hazmat routing). It also says it has the ful NTTS breakdown directory installed as well as "truck friendly" POI's.

It was due to hit the shelves 3 or 4 days ago. Early reviews are good, but we won't see any hands on reviews for a week or two. Someone (in that gotruckstop.com thread) had one on order and should have gotten it by now.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
There are a few people testing this GPS on cdlofit.com also. So far all reports are sounding pretty good.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I've had good luck with my Nuvi200W I am sure that the maps would be the same as any Garmin it just has more options. Lane assist would be awesome in large cities during rush hour

ritasroy

Seasoned Expediter

We just bought one. So far really like it . Have not had
a real test yet, as we just got it running yesterday,and our
run was a simple one.

Its very easy to use, just a few pages in a small leaflet to
tell you how to operate it.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Cool, what settings did it ask you for about your truck? (just size or what?)

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We just bought one. So far really like it . Have not had
a real test yet, as we just got it running yesterday,and our
run was a simple one.

Its very easy to use, just a few pages in a small leaflet to
tell you how to operate it.

Looking forward to hearing more details of how this system works for you.

Is this your first GPS?

You only received a small leaflet it will be interesting to know how easy a new person to GPS will be able to get around this system.

Everything I have read about the Nuvi 465T seems as if it will be a great investment as an aid for the new person to get into trucking. Even though the system is for trucks you still need to verify the route.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I'll be interested in know how it works out. Mine is close to 2 years old now, and instead of paying for update I may get a newer one instead. I have been really happy with my Garmin.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It appears that with the new units the map updates will change, where once you buy an update, you get free updates for the live of that unit. They recently did the same thing with the FM Traffic, where the annual $60 is now good for the life of that device. With Google Maps being updated daily, they really didn't have much of a choice.

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
we finally got our's from go truck stop.So far we really like it,vary easy to use.you put in truck height,weight,width,hazmat,overall length,gross weight,max weigth per axle,number of trailers,truck type,also can be set for automobile.seems to be vary accurate.starts telling you a half a mile to a mile in advance whats comming up.exit on left,or exit on right tell's you twice nice.also tells you about curves,down grades etc....

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Garmin has pride in their user interface. When I received mine (an older model) it came with no manual and the instructions said that they didn't have a manual, because there was no need for one. Turn it on and go.

eb

TeamTLC

Seasoned Expediter
I have read some reviews online that say it is hard to hear even when the volume is set at 100%. Has anyone who has the unit found this to be a problem? We are considering this unit and would like to hear any and all feedback before buying.
Thanks in advance!

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
yes it could be louder,it could use a ear piece,or tied into the radio so when your given instructions the radio volume cut out for a second or two.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We found with our current GPS we spent too much time arguing with "her" so we do not use sound just have the screen.

How is the screen on this new system? Is it easy to read the street names?

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's less than a month until my b-day, so happy b-day to me. I got a 465. I'm on my way to Dexter, Mo. for Monday morning and right now I'm at the J in Oak Grove, Ky. The route it's giving me is quite different that my 330 is giving me and I think I like the 330 route better. I'm gonna run both for a while to compare.

On the volume, I don't think the level is much less than my 330, but the voice quality isn't as good. Kind of muffled. I switched to the Austrailian guy voice to see if it's any better. It looks like it will only operate on local time. I liked leaving the 330 on eastern.

That's it so far. After I've had a couple of runs I'll update.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Volume was a problem for me with the Nuvi, as I listen to audiobooks through mine. On Turtle's advice, I got an FM transmitter to route it through the radio, but it required finding unused FM channels - preferably 3 consecutive, which I couldn't find. The wireless model requires an output jack that the radio didn't have [on the front, and I wasn't willing to pull it out to check the backside] so what I've done is get a pr of earbuds. They work well enough that I only need to have one in, leaving the other ear open to my surroundings. Works pretty well for me. :)

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
This is one thing i really like about the worldnav 7100 over the garmin.The worldnav has a built in FM transmitter and it will come across the stereo on a certain station so you can listen to your radio then when a turn comes up it comes across nice and loud so you can hear it.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was going to wait until I had a couple of runs with it to form an opinion, but...

The routing... As I mentioned before, it gave me a different route than my 330. The 330 took me across 60 from Paducah to I57. At first, the 465 wanted me to go up to Il146, cross I57 and stay on back roads down to Dexter. After a recalc, it wanted me to take the Pennyrile to I155, then up to Dexter. At one point along the way on 60, I exited the routing and restarted it. I was less than an hour and a half out and it came up with a route taking I57 up to I64! 358 miles!!! Are you kidding me?!!?

On the voice, it is volume as well as quality. The 330 is quite a bit better in that department. With the time display, I tried changing the time, but it still displays the ETA in local time. What's the point of being able to change it?

I sent an e-mail to Garmin.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I played with one at a Pilot the other night. I liked the feel and accuracy of the touch screen. It is better than the 1.5 year old nuvi 250w I have.

But after reading some of the above comments I might hold off. Routing smart is just to big a requirement to have fail in a unit. I have a Pioneer in dash navi that uses Igo and Tele atlas maps, it is horrendous, If you are going from Toronto to Wichita KS, why on God's green earth would you go to Iowa? Igo says to!