Now Texas, another shooting- in a church

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Come on already, Leo.
I can walk into any gun shop around, and with a flick of my master card, walk out in minutes armed and ready to kill.

Background checks my a$$.
I can walk into any Home Depot and with a flick of my Visa Card and a valid driver's license, dive out in minutes, gassed up and ready to kill.
Yes you can........

Ban the van!

:D

Reactions: Moot

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Guns sold between private parties, person-to-person or at gun shows are exempt from the background-check requirement.

But at a gun shop, you'll definitely go through the background check.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
But seriously, background checks are not a federal requirement (I believe?). Pretty sure in Texas you can buy ANY firearm same day, no waiting, and walk out if the store.
The background check is indeed a federal requirement, even for Texans. There is no waiting period in Texas (like a 3 day or 5 day waiting period), but you will have to sit and wait for the background check to be completed.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Background checks are required in every state in every transaction by licensed gun dealers. All 57 states for the Obama crowd. That includes gun shows. There are no exceptions no matter what location. The only exception is for those who have already been checked and approved for a concealed license. They still must fill out form 4473 etc. but they don't have to be phoned in.

Reactions: ntimevan

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No system is foolproof. Not even severe beyond comprehension consequences. They are more likely to work than most other measures though.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No system is foolproof. Not even severe beyond comprehension consequences. They are more likely to work than most other measures though.
Well the Gun shop or Walmart aren't at fault either ... the shooters Air Force superiors never reported his Domestic Assault charges to proper legal channels to stop him from purchasing a firearm ... this according to XM radio news channel tonight ...
So explain to me why I should lose my rights because of a Government employee fails to do his/hers job ...
And i step away now from this discussion

Sent from my SM-G955U using EO Forums mobile app

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Well the Gun shop or Walmart aren't at fault either ... the shooters Air Force superiors never reported his Domestic Assault charges to proper legal channels to stop him from purchasing a firearm ... this according to XM radio news channel tonight ...
So explain to me why I should lose my rights because of a Government employee fails to do his/hers job ...
And i step away now from this discussion

Sent from my SM-G955U using EO Forums mobile app
Can't believe you even stepped in?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: ntimevan

mrswornout

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm afraid it is your head that is in the sand. You've bought the lies of the left hook, line and sinker. There is plenty of control, over 26,000 gun laws on the books. There is no open purchasing policy. Where did that even come from? Your air must be different than mine for you to pull that out of it. People are safer now than in most of history for the most part. Nobody has given the NRA any power. They have no power, just the right to speak freely. As far as background checks, they are run every time on every sale unless the person has been vetted by the FBI and is exempt which applies to CHL holders who have passed an even more involved FBI background check.
We all know the NRA lines the pockets of politicians otherwise they would be doing the job they suppose to do. Seems like everyone these days can't get elected without owing something to someone. Believe what you want!

Reactions: Grizzly and Ragman

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The Texas shootings are mostly the fault of Trump and his mental health policies. It's true, I heard it on NPR.

All Things Considered host Kelly McEvers talked with NPR health policy correspondent Alison Kodjak about the Trump administration's record on mental health care.

McEvers: So I want to start first with a fact check on what President Trump said — and other politicians too — that there's a direct link between gun violence and mental health. What do the experts say?

Actually, most mental health professionals would dispute that, says Kodjak.

In fact, "there is no real connection between an individual with a mental health diagnosis and mass shootings. That connection according to all experts doesn't exist," says Bethany Lilly of the Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law.

Here is a link to the audio of the NPR piece.
All Things Considered for November 7, 2017

Reactions: ntimevan and Turtle

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Pretty much what you'd expect from people at the Bozo Center.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just saw this in local news. Apparently, Michigan wants to make some changes.

Michigan Senate OKs concealed pistol carry in schools, churches, day care centers

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

INSANITY! Is it really that difficult to imagine a full-on shootout at one of these locations?

What happens when a bunch of kids get killed by friendly fire?

Why is it assumed that everyone that carries a gun has sound judgement, can make the right snap decisions & is a sure shot!?

Reactions: Ragman

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, it's much better to not allow it and have dozens killed than allow it and have very few killed. The only insanity is assuming it will create a bad outcome.

Do you know 13 people? One in 14 adult legal citizens has a permit to carry concealed. Add in those places where none is required and it's about 1 in 10 adults that potentially could be and are carrying. Every day. Everywhere you go. And nothing happens. And you don't know which 1 of the 10. And you presumably don't wring your hands and panic everywhere you go. Because the foolish arguments of the left are wrong.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes, it's much better to not allow it and have dozens killed than allow it and have very few killed. The only insanity is assuming it will create a bad outcome.

Do you know 13 people? One in 14 adult legal citizens has a permit to carry concealed. Add in those places where none is required and it's about 1 in 10 adults that potentially could be and are carrying. Every day. Everywhere you go. And nothing happens. And you don't know which 1 of the 10. And you presumably don't wring your hands and panic everywhere you go. Because the foolish arguments of the left are wrong.

I think you have the wrong impression. Who's panicking ...?
I grew up with close family friends that were NYC cops. They would come to family parties with guns strapped to their ankles. No problems with that at all ....
I do have a problem trying to address this problem by having armed citizens face off with armed citizens. It's immature, childish & downright nuts. But that's probably the coarse of action we'll take. After all we need to insure the right & freedom for all to bear arms ... right?

The individual right to bear arms should not supersede public safety. No law or attempt at gun control will work. We witnessed that in TX. It's gotta be an outright ban.