Not Happy like many of You

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
If you're below 67% Acceptance, it isn't because Dispatch has constantly hit you with wrong refusals, it's because you're turning down too many loads. The Acceptance Rate thing is not a mystery, it's easy to figure out, and you know what the rules are. The Rate is calculated using all of the days of the current month, plus all of the days of the previous calendar month. Knowing that, then you should be able to intelligently decide whether or not to accept the load

come on, you would really let an acceptance rate decide whether you take a load or not. it comes off as you advocate taking runs when your acceptance rate is low just to grab a few points to get it back up. ya, all of us know what we are into when we sign the line. but this rate thing does force some to do things they dont wish to. and every little bit helps the carrier. they call it insuring that their customers get serviced, which im sure it does help. it also helps w/profit. im also sure that somewhere, someone has ran the probability and came to the conclusion that this could also increase profit. same way many other policies do. it all boils down to how you want your customers handled. do you want to send a contractor to a shipper because he thinks he has to even if the load is crap or do you want them going because they feel good about it because the are being fairly compensated. thats the problem with large carriers, as long as its covered they really dont care. the acceptance rate thing is just like the pay rate thing. as long as people continue to be dictated to instead of saying no, the problem will continue to exist. which makes all of this kinda pointless. i run my business a little different that most, i have the ability to basically do what i please. i dont need to earn a large amt. of $, so that gives me the ability to say no and not run unless i make a sufficient profit on the load. i have left carriers for to much controlling interest in my business. point made. i think you all know how i feel about it.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The "value" of a load also depends on the situation you are in at the time. It takes a higher paying load to get me out of the house than it does to get me to the house.

A load that pays great per mile but leaves me with a zillion mile dead head out does not pay well. A short load, good per mile, is better sometimes. Each load is a new business decision. Any decision that leads to a loss of money is not a good business decision.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
come on, you would really let an acceptance rate decide whether you take a load or not. it comes off as you advocate taking runs when your acceptance rate is low just to grab a few points to get it back up.

i think you all know how i feel about it.

It really doesn't matter how you feel about this. At Panther if you fall below 67% acceptance you will continually be bumped to the bottom of the board. So yeah, in this person's situation I advocate taking any loads offered to get above 67% or find another carrier.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It really doesn't matter how you feel about this. At Panther if you fall below 67% acceptance you will continually be bumped to the bottom of the board. So yeah, in this person's situation I advocate taking any loads offered to get above 67% or find another carrier.

So it becomes forced dispatch. Is that not the meaning of forced? Take loads that you lose money on or else? What I am missing?

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
that was my point also. never let the carrier force you into doing something or be forced out for not. look at this a different way, which i add would never happen it could but it wont. all the contractors decide they want this policy gone or they are going to switch carriers. they all actually stick to their threat and all go to various different carriers over a peroid of a few weeks. what happens to the carrier that refused to change policy. they would now be the little guy if not outta business and the other carriers that dont have policy would have grown by leaps and bounds and the freight would be there also. someone has to haul it for the customer and since bigbox joe is now smallbox sam they will be forced to find another carrier. great scenario. never happen but still nice to think about. the acceptance rate would not be an issue if the carrier would simply realize the loads must be profitable. most of us are depending on one truck they are depending on many. there are also many places in the carriers business where they bleed money that could be shored up to help insure profits for all. we all run on a very tight always scrutinize budget and they should also

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Could be. Maybe we can get Bill Clinton to define "forced" for us.

Just the whole point of this thread and the original poster's situation.

Well, I am glad I missed everything about this post, I would hate to have just missed part of it. LOL!!!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Are things really the same? Not really. Many posts are assuming all things equal when they actually are not in many cases. The typical average Panther straight (non reefer) is running from 1.20 to 1.40 plus FSC and then higher for Elite loads. Now compare that to what. 1.12 at E1 or 1.05 at Tristate and many even less. Not sure on E1, but Tri-State knocks you out for 24 hours if you refuse two loads, and I am not sure what the Fed does or doesn't do although they have a acceptance rating.
Is it forced dispatching? Yes, if you want it to be. If you know some parts of the east coast or Detroit are land of the mini's, run one so you don't get hit with constant refusals. Or, we knock ourselves out of service and find our own load. And lastly, just move to a different board. I don't consider that forced as you are making the decision to be in a area that has those types of loads and are failing to be proactive. If one does simple things like that, then you won't have to worry about percentages. I couldn't even tell you what ours are because they don't really matter.
Keep in mind also that they can't hit you with a refusal after doing a mini or the DH is over 40 percent.
Comes down to what you want to tolerate.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Don't let the FDCC's intimadate you. Your lease cannot be terminated for a low acceptance rating. I remember in orintation in Green they kept repaeating over & over again, you are your own boss blah bah blah.

OH Yes they can and DO.

Ignore the orientation feel good group hug crap and get someone who will tell you how they feel about acceptance rate. It hasn't changed.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't let the FDCC's intimadate you. Your lease cannot be terminated for a low acceptance rating. I remember in orintation in Green they kept repaeating over & over again, you are your own boss blah bah blah.

E-1 cleaned house last year a bit...and terminated high refusal contractors....
Services no longer required...that is all they stated

moose

Veteran Expediter
Last time i'v checked ,you can't buy grocery's using a pay per mil.,
first out is not accepted at the cashier either.

there is a place in this market for higher paying loads , and there also a way to make a dern good living running smart at a lower rates.

the good news is that ,now that the feds goe's Elogs , they will have to broker more of the freight out , or find a way to forced dispatch their own fleet , it's good news only if you are not leased on to them... here i said it ...happy?:)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Watch the Feds rates when E-1 starts their Temp Assured program at the end of year....not going to be pretty...

fastrod

Expert Expediter
Watch the Feds rates when E-1 starts their Temp Assured program at the end of year....not going to be pretty...

So what your saying is that E-1 is gonna lowball the rates and take the Feds business. Where does all this rate slashing end. When they get so low that they cannot find anyone to haul at the rates they are offering?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
So what your saying is that E-1 is gonna lowball the rates and take the Feds business. Where does all this rate slashing end. When they get so low that they cannot find anyone to haul at the rates they are offering?

well what happens when new competition comes into play? do prices ever go up? not just in this industry...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
So E-1 is going against a Brand?

It makes sense to get into reefer loads, there are a lot out there but the problem seems to be that to ensure the GmP practices (what temp assured is needed for) for a very quickly shrinking customer base makes no business sense.

But again this is E-1

Isn't Temp Assured trademarked?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
So E-1 is going against a Brand?

It makes sense to get into reefer loads, there are a lot out there but the problem seems to be that to ensure the GmP practices (what temp assured is needed for) for a very quickly shrinking customer base makes no business sense.

But again this is E-1

Isn't Temp Assured trademarked?

They used the term in our conference call...I have no clue..

We already do Phizer out of Memphis and a few other centers, with no reefer required and DOD work is going thru the application process...so expansion is planned into this market, they claim they have customers requesting we get into the field...we'll see how it turns out..Word is the recruiting is going on and there is now reefer trucks on the fleet...

fastrod

Expert Expediter
well what happens when new competition comes into play? do prices ever go up? not just in this industry...

I understand that but where does this downward spiral of rates end. It seems like the bigger carriers are the ones running the rates into the ground and using the acceptance rate threat to make sure that most of these low paying loads get covered.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I understand that but where does this downward spiral of rates end. It seems like the bigger carriers are the ones running the rates into the ground and using the acceptance rate threat to make sure that most of these low paying loads get covered.

How low can WE go? is the question now...seems some carriers think there is no bottom....There has to be a break point...
I would hate to be just starting in this biz now...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Phizer?

OH Pfizer?

You are hauling their dry freight, which is not a big deal but their pharma loads are a big deal and there is a process they have that I am wondering if E-1 will make the investment to meet, I doubt it.

DoD loads GmP?

DoD process should have been done a long long time ago.

Temp assured is not trademarked.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
is it true that for a carrier to get DOD approved they have to have atleast 500 units in the fleet.