No problem here, we're fine

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
One-third of Americans don?t believe in evolution | Fox News

or

One in Ten Republicans Has Stopped Believing in Evolution Since 2009 - The Wire

As one guy that's obviously got the world figured out says:

Republican Paul Broun said:
There's a lot of scientific data that I’ve found out as a scientist that actually show that this is really a young Earth. I don’t believe that the Earth’s but about 9,000 years old. I believe it was created in six days as we know them. That’s what the Bible says

Houston, we don't have a problem. Everything is fine. :)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The people who don't believe in evolution are the people who don't know anything about evolution. The scientists who don't believe in evolution aren't scientists and they wouldn't recognize evidence if it leaped out of the water and slapped them in the face.

The biggest problem is the use of the word believe. Evolution is not something to be believed or not. The believing isn’t what makes evolution true or not. What determines whether or not evolution is true is whether there is evidence to support it, and, just as importantly, whether there is evidence to refute it. To date, more than 175 years after Charles Darwin began to formulate his theory, not a single piece of evidence has refuted the theory. Not one.

Further, a scientific theory makes predictions about things yet unknown that must be true in order for the theory to be sound: if this is true, then that must also be true. If that isn't true, then the theory crumbles. Evolution predicted that precursors to the trilobite would be found in pre-Silurian rocks. They were. Evolution predicts that Precambrian fossils would be found. Darwin wrote in 1859 that the total absence of fossils in Precambrian rock was "inexplicable" and that the lack might "be truly urged as a valid argument" against his theory. 94 years later when such fossils were found, it turned out that they had been abundant all along. They were just so small that it took a microscope to see them.

Evolution predicts transitional animals. They must have existed in order to evolution to be valid. For example, there are two kinds of whales: those with teeth, and those that strain microscopic food out of seawater with baleen. A transitional whale must have once existed, which had both teeth and baleen, otherwise evolution cannot be correct. Such fossils have since been found.

Most animals make Vitamin C inside their bodies. Some do not, mainly the simians (monkeys, apes, people), and creatures like guinea pigs, most bats, a few others. Other primates do, like lemurs, bushbabies, lorises. It was predicted that humans are descended from creatures that could do this, and that we had somehow lost this ability. The question evolution asks is why? When human DNA was studied, scientists found a gene which is identical to the Vitamin C gene in dogs and cats and lemurs. However, our copy has been turned off. It doesn't function. Why? It doesn't need to, because our diet is rich in Vitamin C.

The theory of evolution, and it's predictions, have been supported and confirmed time and time again by the very different scientific disciplines of paleontology, archeology, geology, biology, microbiology, anthropology, genetics, chemistry and even agriculture. We see evolution happening every day with rapidly evolving microbes like the flu and HIV viruses, with the embryos of fruit flies and other insects, and with the birth of every new living thing. Evidence for evolution continues to be accumulated and tested.

Creationism, on the other hand, has no evidence, makes no predictions, and refuses to allow the question of "why?" Creationism is the brick wall of knowledge and learning. Creationism makes you stupid. To dismiss actual evidence in favor of a closely held belief is willful ignorance. It is prideful ignorance. Knowledge is based on facts, belief is not. Those who dismiss evolution as "it's only a theory" are stupid. It is stupid. They don't know what a theory is. They think a theory is an opinion of some kind of conjecture. But in science a theory has the much stronger meaning of a "well-substantiated explanation" that can be used as principles of explanation and prediction for something. The theory of relativity, the theory of gravity, the theory of heliocentrism, the theory of thermodynamics, the theory of plate techtonics, the theory of evolution - each and every one of these is "it's only a theory."

Last edited:

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
I wonder why the Bible doesn't mention the Dinosaurs, could it be it is because the authors didn't know they had ever existed?

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
LOL ... Discovery Institute ?

Nah ... that's nothing more than an effort of the hordes of Jeebus followers to insert their belief system into the educational system lieu of actual science ...

Discovery Institute's Center ... seeks nothing less than the overthrow of materialism and its cultural legacies.

Discovery Institute's Center ... wants to reverse the stifling dominance of the materialistic worldview, and to replace it with a science consistent with Christian and theistic convictions.

Discovery Institute - RationalWiki

jeebus.jpg

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
The people who don't believe in evolution are the people who don't know anything about evolution. The scientists who don't believe in evolution aren't scientists and they wouldn't recognize evidence if it leaped out of the water and slapped them in the face.

The biggest problem is the use of the word believe. Evolution is not something to be believed or not. The believing isn’t what makes evolution true or not. What determines whether or not evolution is true is whether there is evidence to support it, and, just as importantly, whether there is evidence to refute it. To date, more than 175 years after Charles Darwin began to formulate his theory, not a single piece of evidence has refuted the theory. Not one.

Further, a scientific theory makes predictions about things yet unknown that must be true in order for the theory to be sound: if this is true, then that must also be true. If that isn't true, then the theory crumbles. Evolution predicted that precursors to the trilobite would be found in pre-Silurian rocks. They were. Evolution predicts that Precambrian fossils would be found. Darwin wrote in 1859 that the total absence of fossils in Precambrian rock was "inexplicable" and that the lack might "be truly urged as a valid argument" against his theory. 94 years later when such fossils were found, it turned out that they had been abundant all along. They were just so small that it took a microscope to see them.

Evolution predicts transitional animals. They must have existed in order to evolution to be valid. For example, there are two kinds of whales: those with teeth, and those that strain microscopic food out of seawater with baleen. A transitional whale must have once existed, which had both teeth and baleen, otherwise evolution cannot be correct. Such fossils have since been found.

Most animals make Vitamin C inside their bodies. Some do not, mainly the simians (monkeys, apes, people), and creatures like guinea pigs, most bats, a few others. Other primates do, like lemurs, bushbabies, lorises. It was predicted that humans are descended from creatures that could do this, and that we had somehow lost this ability. The question evolution asks is why? When human DNA was studied, scientists found a gene which is identical to the Vitamin C gene in dogs and cats and lemurs. However, our copy has been turned off. It doesn't function. Why? It doesn't need to, because our diet is rich in Vitamin C.

The theory of evolution, and it's predictions, have been supported and confirmed time and time again by the very different scientific disciplines of paleontology, archeology, geology, biology, microbiology, anthropology, genetics, chemistry and even agriculture. We see evolution happening every day with rapidly evolving microbes like the flu and HIV viruses, with the embryos of fruit flies and other insects, and with the birth of every new living thing. Evidence for evolution continues to be accumulated and tested.

Creationism, on the other hand, has no evidence, makes no predictions, and refuses to allow the question of "why?" Creationism is the brick wall of knowledge and learning. Creationism makes you stupid. To dismiss actual evidence in favor of a closely held belief is willful ignorance. It is prideful ignorance. Knowledge is based on facts, belief is not. Those who dismiss evolution as "it's only a theory" are stupid. It is stupid. They don't know what a theory is. They think a theory is an opinion of some kind of conjecture. But in science a theory has the much stronger meaning of a "well-substantiated explanation" that can be used as principles of explanation and prediction for something. The theory of relativity, the theory of gravity, the theory of heliocentrism, the theory of thermodynamics, the theory of plate techtonics, the theory of evolution - each and every one of these is "it's only a theory."

Honestly, what difference does it make? We weren't here at the beginning. Contrary to what many think, we aren't likely to be here when it ends. It's futile argument, IMHO.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Honestly, what difference does it make? We weren't here at the beginning. Contrary to what many think, we aren't likely to be here when it ends. It's futile argument, IMHO.

No. Not here in the beginning but I firmly believe we will be here in the end. This world, meaning the life on it, will be ended by our own hands. My belief. Whether one believes in Christ or not has nothing to do with whether one believes in the concept of "mutually assured destruction".
Humans will end life on this planet. One day. One year. One millennium.
Like I said, just my belief. When the egos control the keys, codes and big ref buttons we will have handed our lives over to the people who care for the power to kill more than life itself.
This is not a religious statement. Don't take it that way.
"The idiots have taken over".

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Intelligent Design was proven in a court to be a fraud, nothing more than replacement euphemism for Creationism, and a term invented specifically to replace "Creation Science" in school textbooks as a way to get Creationism into the curriculum without calling it religion.

The judge who handed down that ruling was John E. Jones III, a conservative Republican, a young earth evangelical Creationist appointed by George Bush, and a close friend of Rick Santorum. The expert defense witnesses, some of whom were the ones who invented the concept of Intelligent Design in the first place and wrote the book on it, were brutally refuted when they were confronted with their own documents that proved that it was all a scientific fraud - they got caught lying, with their pants down. All of the bedrock principles of Intelligent Designed were unambiguously refuted. Every one of them, one by one.

Nova did a documentary on the trial, including interviews interviews with all the major players on both sides, including the judge, along with re-enactments of key transcripts in the courtroom, including the evidence presented. The documentary is even-handed, containing no digs against either side, probably because digs weren't necessary to tell the story. One of the principle tasks of the trial was to decide if Intelligent Design was science, or if it was simply religion in disguise. The trial proved why there is no science in Creationist Science, and that Intelligent Design was created specifically to get around the Supreme Court ruling that religious creationism could not be taught in schools.

There very people who should watch the documentary are the ones least likely to do so, because those who don't believe in evolution are the ones who know the least about it, and about science, and they like it that way. But, you can watch it at NOVA Online, or in HD on YouTube:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's not even an argument. It's a question. Intellectual curiosity. It's who we are. To be human is to be curious, to explore, and inquisitive. The most fundamental questions of humanity are, and have been since we were first able to ask them:

Were did we come from?
Are we alone?

Religion answers those questions in quick, easy ways. Science looks for the actual answers.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
It's not even an argument. It's a question. Intellectual curiosity. It's who we are. To be human is to be curious, to explore, and inquisitive. The most fundamental questions of humanity are, and have been since we were first able to ask them:

Were did we come from?
Are we alone?

Religion answers those questions in quick, easy ways. Science looks for the actual answers.

Yeah, I suppose... In my way of thinking we're just passing through either way. Guess I'm intellectually challenged enough not to care. I like chickens. I like eggs. It might be nice to know which came first but that's about as deep as I get.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
I enjoyed watching Nova on PBS with host Carl Sagan many years ago. I still catch contemporary episodes as often as possible. Science and faith are at odds over origins of the universe. My personal belief is science leads to truth. Science debunks the supernatural. There are still attempts by people of faith to explain creationism with Intelligent Design being one such attempt.

Did the universe spring forth from a single atom? Where did that first solitary atom come from? Is God composed of atoms? How did the first physical matter come into being? Can something come from nothing? With boundless billions of galaxies out there, God must get many bellylaughs from the smugness and folly of humans. Questions endure, God endures.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The truth is likely somewhere in the middle. Religion and science both have their shortcomings.
Just think global warming. We aren't as smart as we think we are.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Still wondering what if any organ was attached to the bowel via the appendex?....a useless appendage that is prone to infection and a waste of good space....

and there is a reason it is called a tail bone......

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
Problem is, your own science defeats the science.

Debunking Evolution - problems between the theory and reality; the false science of evolution

Duplicate genes

Do evolutionists admit defeat? Never! They temporarily sidestep natural selection, saying the mutations in DNA needed to build a complicated new part quietly accumulate in duplicate genes, because by themselves each of the necessary mutations is neutral, neither beneficial nor harmful. Then, millions of years later, all are in place. The new part starts working, natural selection chooses it, and the improved creature is off to the races. This scenario exists only in the mind of the evolutionist.

Vanishing vestigials

If evolutionists do not know what something does, they assume it is useless, as we will see with "junk DNA". One of their "proofs" of evolution has been that as creatures evolve, some body parts that were useful long ago become less important in the new and improved creatures. Eventually these parts no longer function and they shrink in size. Evolutionists called them "vestigial organs". In the late 1800s they made long lists of vestigial organs in humans, including the tonsils, pineal gland, thymus, and appendix.5 In the years since, advances in our understanding of anatomy and biology have knocked them off the lists one by one. Yet the notion lingers on that "there is something to it".

"Evolution" mixes two things together, one real, one imaginary. Variation (microevolution) is the real part. The types of bird beaks, the colors of moths, leg sizes, etc. are variation. Each type and length of beak a finch can have is already in the gene pool and adaptive mechanisms of finches. Creationists have always agreed that there is variation within species. What evolutionists do not want you to know is that there are strict limits to variation that are never crossed, something every breeder of animals or plants is aware of."

Always in amazement how man has so evolved that it was suddenly some quack along the way, who presented a theory one day. Nothing like creating a theory, then struggling mightily to prove it. Kinda like those pyramid theory's about men building ramps and dragging some rocks up a hill. Ah, no...precision building like this can barely be duplicated by modern man, let alone during the time of the Egyptians.

Don't believe in creationism? Great! But lets not get silly with this Darwin character, and what modern TV, author's, and agenda driven policy entails.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Adam and Eve had 3 recorded BOYS.....which one dinged their own mom?.....and history records incest was acceptable at least to the Egyptians ....

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
Adam and Eve had 3 recorded BOYS.....which one dinged their own mom?.....and history records incest was acceptable at least to the Egyptians ....

Your a hoot.

Really don't want for turning this into a defense of Christian belief. That's been done in many threads, and I'm sure some may tire of the constant back and forth.....with Maverick being the only defender. Heck, even I get tired of it, and hearing myself talk.

God will reveal all these things in good time. Put differently, we've not been told specifically and I will not make the mistake of clergy who attempt to explain it. I do not question that, or break things down to the ump degree. To answer your question, given the above, I can merely say this....If a supreme being can do everything else He's done, that same being is very capable of pulling this one off, however He wants to.

There is a vast intelligence out there and to think we're the only ones hanging out in this universe borders the absurd, in my view. Whether Christ appears on a space ship, cloud, or jet pack.....means little to me. How rocks and amoeba's were formed is nothing to do with anything. Who created man, gave him a whole planet to enjoy, with a keen mind and spiritual love of life......is something I just try to appreciate as much as possible. :p

Home state Iowa coming up, and favorite Sparty is back to back. Big Ten had better flex some defensive muscle today, but won't fret much either way. :)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Your a hoot.

Really don't want for turning this into a defense of Christian belief. That's been done in many threads, and I'm sure some may tire of the constant back and forth.....with Maverick being the only defender. Heck, even I get tired of it, and hearing myself talk.

God will reveal all these things in good time. Put differently, we've not been told specifically and I will not make the mistake of clergy who attempt to explain it. I do not question that, or break things down to the ump degree. To answer your question, given the above, I can merely say this....If a supreme being can do everything else He's done, that same being is very capable of pulling this one off, however He wants to.

There is a vast intelligence out there and to think we're the only ones hanging out in this universe borders the absurd, in my view. Whether Christ appears on a space ship, cloud, or jet pack.....means little to me. How rocks and amoeba's were formed is nothing to do with anything. Who created man, gave him a whole planet to enjoy, with a keen mind and spiritual love of life......is something I just try to appreciate as much as possible. :p

Home state Iowa coming up, and favorite Sparty is back to back. Big Ten had better flex some defensive muscle today, but won't fret much either way. :)

I really don't care either...but poking the intelligent FEW can be entertainment....just to see how bored they are to research every little point, to what end?....hehehehe...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
"and history records incest was acceptable at least to the Egyptians ...."

I wonder, is that where the European Royal Families got the idea from?
:confused: :p

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
"and history records incest was acceptable at least to the Egyptians ...."

I wonder, is that where the European Royal Families got the idea from?
:confused: :p

Probably....because the lower class were not up to the standards of royalty...so they inbreed....