No More Toll Receipts

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Yeah that is an issue. How do you manage tolls when trucks are repositioning themselves, deadheading home or stuff like that? Do drivers start using toll roads even if they don't make the best financial decision because.....it aint my problem now? I kind of see it as you have to manage it either way. Its like sales people. I make mine use their own cards and turn in expense reports every week vs giving them company cards. I just think people are more conscious that way.

It's not always about the $, sometimes, HOS makes the call. For example: running 20 from Detroit to Cleveland is free, but it takes a lot longer. [And you better not exceed the speed limit, because the people living in the many small Ohio towns don't like the trucks going through, so the cops watch very closely, always]. Also Chicago: avoiding the toll roads can mean a lot of traffic lights, sigh.
I take the toll road, every time - but when I'm going home, those tolls are deducted from the total. :smuggrin:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Starting 11/1, you will no longer be required to submit receipts for shipments where toll reimbursement has been approved by dispatch. Our systems will automatically calculate the toll costs based on your truck size and the shipment’s loaded miles. The tolls cost will then be added to the shipment’s settlement allowing you more time to focus on making your business successful.

I missed the underlined part above in my excitement to have tolls automatically calculated and not having to deal with receipts and jumping through hoops. I ran the Indiana Tollway and the Ohio Pike Tuesday and didn't get paid for tolls. Wednesday morning I got a load and asked the dispatcher about this. He said the toll thing isn't totally automatic, a driver must still ask for tolls to be paid.

Latter I called driver relations and was told for tolls I must negotiate with dispatch for paid tolls on every load. I explained my ignorance of the new system and my problems with reading comprehension and the nice man said I would be paid.

Remember to ask or negotiate for tolls. I wonder if I can negotiate tolls on loads where no tollways are involved? I will certainly try. And no, I will not return toll money for tolls paid where I avoided a toll road. Same as when I shave off some miles from the total paid miles on a load.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The tolls cost will then be added to the shipment’s settlement allowing you more time to focus on making your business successful.
Thereby completely offsetting the time you have to waste in negotiating a toll that our systems have automatically calculated. We do this because we enjoy class action lawsuits, and because we have a really gnarly "KICK ME" sign taped to our back.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thereby completely offsetting the time you have to waste in negotiating a toll that our systems have automatically calculated. We do this because we enjoy class action lawsuits, and because we have a really gnarly "KICK ME" sign taped to our back.
And whereby completely supporting "Embrace the Stupidity" mantra....

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
...and because we have a really gnarly "KICK ME" sign taped to our back.
1e73e3a8-5ebc-4e6b-98c7-eaac8023671a_zpslxaj1sur.jpg

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Starting 11/1, you will no longer be required to submit receipts for shipments where toll reimbursement has been approved by dispatch. Our systems will automatically calculate the toll costs based on your truck size and the shipment’s loaded miles. The tolls cost will then be added to the shipment’s settlement allowing you more time to focus on making your business successful.

I missed the underlined part above in my excitement to have tolls automatically calculated and not having to deal with receipts and jumping through hoops. I ran the Indiana Tollway and the Ohio Pike Tuesday and didn't get paid for tolls. Wednesday morning I got a load and asked the dispatcher about this. He said the toll thing isn't totally automatic, a driver must still ask for tolls to be paid.

Latter I called driver relations and was told for tolls I must negotiate with dispatch for paid tolls on every load. I explained my ignorance of the new system and my problems with reading comprehension and the nice man said I would be paid.

Remember to ask or negotiate for tolls. I wonder if I can negotiate tolls on loads where no tollways are involved? I will certainly try. And no, I will not return toll money for tolls paid where I avoided a toll road. Same as when I shave off some miles from the total paid miles on a load.

This is a great example of the petty attitude that saves a few bucks, but costs good people. Plenty of loads offered involve tolls that one doesn't know about upfront, as in Florida, Oklahoma, even Texas, so how can a driver negotiate for them? It's not like there's time to check the route before accepting or declining the offer, so the unknown tolls just come out of the driver's pocket. :(

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
This is a great example of the petty attitude that saves a few bucks, but costs good people. Plenty of loads offered involve tolls that one doesn't know about upfront, as in Florida, Oklahoma, even Texas, so how can a driver negotiate for them? It's not like there's time to check the route before accepting or declining the offer, so the unknown tolls just come out of the driver's pocket. :(

If unsure, just ask for tolls whether they are there or not. You have to embrace the stupidity not just acknowledge it. lol

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just an FYI incase you all were not aware. The ipass does not give you discounts on bridges and toll roads in the NY AND NJ AREA. if you compare the charged rates with the schedule of rates it is significantly higher. I caught this a few months ago and changed to prepasscombo

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Have prepass combo...as of 2016 I hear that all toll roads have to be compatible with each other (kansas, oklahoma, florida and Texas would have to be compatible with ez pass most likely and not seperate)