Night Driving Glasses

Brisco

Expert Expediter
This Commercial has been running on TV for a while now.......

https://www.getnightview.com/?MID=4123446

Just Wondering.......since most of you Guys...and Gals.....say about 70-80-90% of your driving is done at night......do you any of you use any sort of Glasses such as these to see better??

Do these things really work??

Just wondering............In all my Years out there.......I hardly ever ever drove "at night". In all my years of running 3PL Automotive Freight......I did start out at 4-5AM at times.........but the Majority of the days runs were during daylight. Right now I'm getting at the Age where just driving home after dark bugs me......and was thinking about sending off for a pair of these Glasses IF they do make a difference.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They sound like polarized amber lenses which is what I prefer. Not unlike fishing or shooting glasses.

sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I have no idea if they will work or help with night time driving. I doubt it but dont know that for sure.
The ad states Where ever there is glare..I Q how about the other 90% of the trip where its just plain dark..Im Thinking keeping your windsheild as clean as possible is best way to prevent glare..
Wheel into the eye doctor and ask them their opion.
I tend to shy away from most ads that end in something like; But wait if you order now we will ship you a second pair free.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Keep in mind that polarized glasses, by their very nature, cut 50% of the available light. It is not possible to make a 100% clear polarized glasses.

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
I have been seeing the day and night pair packs in the truck stops for a while, I am skeptical, anybody try those? I have a good pair of polarized amber lens glasses for daytime, they are too dark for night use, mine are a well known brand that cost about $150.

TS

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the Replies.................

And..............

I'm not going to take the advice of a TV Commercial to fix a problem.......IE.......Glaring Headlights while night driving that is getting worse as time goes by............that I KNOW needs to be checked out by an Optometrist......Period.

Just Stubborness on my part...........I know I need to have my eyesight checked...........have been needing to for a while now...........and with the 50th B-Day less than a year away.............I am still refusing to succumb to a LOT of the 50 year old quirks.......IE.........GLASSES!!!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
"that I KNOW needs to be checked out by an Optometrist......Period."

It would not hurt to be seen by an opthamologist as well.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I do the majority of driving at night, both by customers' needs and my own preference - I HATE rush hour traffic, lol.
I do not wear any glasses [except the sun kind] but I notice that headlights are getting much brighter on new cars/trucks. Like the LED billboards & other signs, I think it's a problem that's going to need to be addressed, because what serves one person shouldn't blind [or just ruin the night vision] of others.
Regarding the advertised glasses, if they have a website, it's always helpful to read the customer reviews, IMO.

seekerman

Expert Expediter
I bought a set of the night/day glasses from Pilot sometime ago. I used reward points to buy them so said what the heck, I'll try them. The "yellow" or amber night set do in fact work in cutting the glare. However, the yellow, "muddish" tint to everything is distracting, but it becomes less noticeable after wearing them for a few minutes. They do cut the glare from headlights and such. If you've got vision problems such as impending cataracts or whatever that cause rainbows or if you're particularly sensitive to headlight glare, these will help. I don't use them now....just depend on a clean windshield, in and out.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This link Road Time provided explains why yellow glasses should not be worn for night driving. I read some of the comments at the end of the article. It seems that most of the people that wear yellow lenses for driving also have prescription glasses with transition lenses. I have never owned glasses with transition lenses, mainly because it is my belief that transition lenses never get completely clear and may be slow to adjust to light conditions. I have prescription sunglasses with gray-green polarized lenses. Any E.O. people using transition lenses?

I don't use them now....just depend on a clean windshield, in and out.
I agree, clean windshield inside and out and clean glasses. Why did you quit using the yellow lenses?

Brisco, were you in Minnesota yesterday on I-35 headed Texas way?

Attachments

• Chair Load full size.jpg
    Chair Load full size.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 28

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Any E.O. people using transition lenses?
I've been using transition lenses for since I was at least 20yo. I wouldn't wear anything else.

You are correct, they really never get "clear", but that is not an issue.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If they never get completely clear wouldn't that reduce the amount of light available to the pupils?

seekerman

Expert Expediter
This link Road Time provided explains why yellow glasses should not be worn for night driving. I read some of the comments at the end of the article. It seems that most of the people that wear yellow lenses for driving also have prescription glasses with transition lenses. I have never owned glasses with transition lenses, mainly because it is my belief that transition lenses never get completely clear and may be slow to adjust to light conditions. I have prescription sunglasses with gray-green polarized lenses. Any E.O. people using transition lenses?

I agree, clean windshield inside and out and clean glasses. Why did you quit using the yellow lenses?

Brisco, were you in Minnesota yesterday on I-35 headed Texas way?

I stopped using them because I just felt like my eyes weren't getting enough light, if that makes any sense. Part and parcel with cutting the glare, the glasses dimmed the entire picture. I saw well enough, but I felt that I wasn't getting as bright and clear a picture needed to ensure safety. Felt like the picture was missing the detail I wanted. I do believe, however, that a less amber or less heavily tinted lens like that found in shooting glasses might work better in providing a brighter picture while cutting glare.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Transition lenses are triggered by UV light. When UV light is no longer present, like at dark or when you are inside, the lenses lighten right back up.

All vehicle windshields and side windows are UV coated to block the transmission of UV light.

Think about it. :D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Transition lenses are triggered by UV light. When UV light is no longer present, like at dark or when you are inside, the lenses lighten right back up.

All vehicle windshields and side windows are UV coated to block the transmission of UV light.

Think about it. :D

fancy new name for the OLD Photo Grey lenses.....gee whiz....

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Think about
A small amount of UV light is always present, therefore the lenses never get totally clear.