Nice little gadget!

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
BioLite CampStove - BioLite Stove

Could be quite useful, and takes up very little space - I want one. :)

Cool, powered by an iPhone... who woulda thunk it!

That's what first glance at the pic looks like, almost. Powered by burning twigs and ground debris though; pretty cool for camping, but not inside. I'd like one, too and have bookmarked it.

Here's what I use for lightweight hiking/camping and quick small meals on a picnic table or even inside the van:

campstove.jpg

Ultra Light Camp Stove, with piezo ignition and attaches directly to the top of any propane or butane canister. Tiny, easy, effective.

Also have a nice one burner butane stove that is a lot more stable for pots etc, but rarely ever use it.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
That is one cool gadget! The price made me look twice but darn is it cool.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The link really doesn't say much about how this stove works, mostly just a bunch of "green" nonsense:

...eliminating the need for heavy, expensive, polluting petroleum gas.
icon14.png

By using renewable resources for fuel instead of petroleum, you're reducing your carbon footprint. You'll also keep fuel canisters out of the landfill.
icon14.png

We're using the same technology inside the CampStove to bring clean, safe energy access to families across the developing world.
icon14.png

Wow if every person on earth bought one of these Al Gore would be out of another job. Who wouldn't want to save Mother Earth and recharge their iPhone and iPod at the same time. I've always seen these stoves referred to as "zip stoves" and over the years all of the ones I have looked at have a battery operated fan that aids combustion. No mention of a fan or battery in the linked ad.

I'm somewhat skeptical of products that tout their "greenness", but offer little technical information. It appears to be a neat little stove, but way over priced compared to other zip stoves. Certainly an item every hardcore, SUV driving, waffle stomping, mountain bike riding, toothbrush handle cutting, earth saving backpacker needs to relieve some of his/her's guilt for being alive.

I do think this would be a great stove for expediters, especially the vanners. They could police the truck stop lots for cigarette butts as a source of fuel. All butts too small to smoke could be used to fuel the BioLite Stove. Imagine expediters, participants in the most inefficient form of transportation, with the exception of space travel, helping to clean up Mother Earth. As soon as I post this I'm ordering a BioLite Stove. Even the name sounds eco-friendly.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Moot: read the FAQs, Goober - they explain everything. Including how to charge a cellphone [or mp3 player] using the stove, which is what I really like. When the zombies show up, I want my phone & mp3 player working, for sure! ;)
OK, it's probly gonna be terrorists with an EMP, but that's just scary.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When the "zombies" show up I believe that an AR 15 with plenty of ammo will be of much greater use than a charged up cell phone. How many "zombies" can one kill on a single charge? :confused:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Moot: read the FAQs, Goober - they explain everything.
Yeah, I deserve the Goober award. I got caught up in my rant and failed to click on and read the FAQs. I see it has a thermal electric generator that runs the fan, so no need for batteries. I must admit that is pretty cool! Still high priced and burning wood and cigarette butts releases dreaded carbon. If you want to charge your iPod or iPhone, plug the sucker into a Chevrolet Volt.

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
When the "zombies" show up I believe that an AR 15 with plenty of ammo will be of much greater use than a charged up cell phone. How many "zombies" can one kill on a single charge? :confused:

Depends on how many people with guns show up when I call for help, which is why the charger is critical, silly man. :cool:

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Someone should come up with a website for Expediters Gadgets. Seems like every Expediter has a gadget in their truck. I'm surprised at the price of that stove. Cool.

Maybe a Forum topic like the C/Van setup guide. Just list gadgets so everyone can see everyone elses ideas.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Depends on how many people with guns show up when I call for help, which is why the charger is critical, silly man. :cool:

YEAHBUT, Cheri, IF there was an EMP attack at the same time your phone by be charged, if you had it shielded, but the towers won't be working! Geez, I have to teach you everything!

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
YEAHBUT, Cheri, IF there was an EMP attack at the same time your phone by be charged, if you had it shielded, but the towers won't be working! Geez, I have to teach you everything!

It depends on who is doing the attacking, I suppose. If it's terrorists, they might be able to engineer an EMP attack at the same time they're launching a ground assault. I've never heard of zombies doing much more than staggering forward and chanting "braaiiins", so I doubt they would be able to get an EMP attack going.

I still think a side arm, at least, will be more convincing than a cell phone if zombies attack.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

I was just being a goof, but I started a 'doomsday' thread so you can show off, ok?
Go for it.
:D

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I use a single burner Peak white gas camp stove. It won't charge my iPhone, but it does boil water for a hearty meal. A nutritious breakfast of instant oatmeal and coffee gives me the energy needed to outrun zombies, or at least the one legged expediter parked next to me.

Attachments

• Camp stove 44.jpg
    Camp stove 44.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 27