Newbie? Oldbie?

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
When does one stop being a newbie?
What are you called then?
Is there some kind of ceremony, or secret decoder ring?

Maybe it is when you stop asking questions, and start answering them.

I don't know cause I am a newbie.

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I think you mean when you stop asking and start answering. I think the answer is it's when you decide to not be part of the newbies category anyore. It's a different time for everyone but probably no sooner than 6-8 months after getting into this. Some folks go longer and still think of themselves as newbies. One of those questions that every answer is right and every answer is wrong depending on who's giving an opinion of the answer I guess.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

Maybe it is when you stop answering questions, and start answering them.

You never stop learning.

I put my fifth year of doing this as the point I can call myself a veteran. Sometimes I wonder how I made it to my second year without my wife killing me.

You are then call several names, most of which can't be printed or used in polite company.

Yes the ceremony is like a any other initiation, you go through the hazing like Animal house and then they tell you some deep secrets like what is ROI, then you run around the place with a tire on your head.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
One thing my Grandfather told me was if you ever think you know everything there is to know about driving a truck hang up the keys because you are about to kill someone. Most of the fatal accidents you hear about are not caused by rookie drivers. They are cause by the experienced hands who have become to comfortable. Yeah you see a rookie back over something, or not swing wide enough and curb his trailer tires, but they are usually not the ones who end up killing people. I heard a statistic from a safety training that said of all accidents caused by truck only 10% were caused by drivers with less that 2 years experience. That doesn't mean if you are new don't worry about safety becuase you have the stats on your side it means no matter how experienced always remember your safety.

Like when you are backing up. Always remember G.O.A.L. Get Out And Look.

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
One thing my Grandfather told me was if you ever think you know everything there is to know about driving a truck hang up the keys because you are about to kill someone. Most of the fatal accidents you hear about are not caused by rookie drivers. They are cause by the experienced hands who have become to comfortable. Yeah you see a rookie back over something, or not swing wide enough and curb his trailer tires, but they are usually not the ones who end up killing people. I heard a statistic from a safety training that said of all accidents caused by truck only 10% were caused by drivers with less that 2 years experience. That doesn't mean if you are new don't worry about safety becuase you have the stats on your side it means no matter how experienced always remember your safety.

Like when you are backing up. Always remember G.O.A.L. Get Out And Look.

I contributed to those statistics. My first accident was after I had a little over a million miles in a TT.

Yes the ceremony is like a any other initiation, you go through the hazing like Animal house and then they tell you some deep secrets like what is ROI, then you run around the place with a tire on your head.

haha Gregg.

Thanks Leo.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Sir,

After careful review of the rules and regulations you have met the qualifications to advance to the next rung on the ladder toward Excellence In Expediting.

1. You have driven over one million miles.

2. You have been stuck in a cargo van at your favorite truck stop in Charlotte, NC for over 3 days.

3. You have driven for more than one carrier in a 2 month period.

4. You have been recessitated back to life after receiving your first on-the-road service invoice.

Welcome aboard!

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
Sir,

After careful review of the rules and regulations you have met the qualifications to advance to the next rung on the ladder toward Excellence In Expediting.

1. You have driven over one million miles.

2. You have been stuck in a cargo van at your favorite truck stop in Charlotte, NC for over 3 days.

3. You have driven for more than one carrier in a 2 month period.

4. You have been recessitated back to life after receiving your first on-the-road service invoice.

Welcome aboard!

:D Yeah, I was born at night, but not last night. When it comes to expediting, I am still as green as that grinning guy up there.

With the qualifications you mentioned above, I guess I can say I am an expediter now though, even if a new one.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
i think after the first year newbie jitters, the second step would be becoming a
twobie.

because more than likely ya wondered about continuing, or putting it another way,

twobie or not twobie, that is the question.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Hey Dcalien: somewhere in the archives, there's a GREAT thread, called "You know you're an expediter, when...." It's one of my all time favorites, and if you find it, let me know, ok? I'm hopeless at searches :eek: but I'd like to read it again:D

Reactions: 1 person

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Cheri,

Is this the post?

Dieseldiva had posted this the last time. I just copied it to this post.

You Might Be An Expediter If...

1. You have a reserved parking spot at the Detroiter.
2. They know you on a first name basis at the Ohio state turnpike Toll Booth
3. When the French fries machine in the Burger King beeps, you run to your truck.
4. You've been asked more than a 50 times on the CB, "Hey, expediter truck! Y'all make any money in them little trucks?"
5. You own more than three deep-cycle marine batteries.
6. You have spent at least 1 Thanksgiving at Canadian Customs.
7. You can remember your dispatch phone number but not your own.
8. You've spent so much time in Canada that you end every sentence with, "Eh?"
9. You can spot a satellite dome in the oncoming traffic from a half-mile away.
10. You now have a permanent limp from the weight of three nationwide pagers, a QC pager and two cell phones.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Rev, as much as I'd like to take the credit for that little goody, it's not mine.......just being fair to the original author.:)

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
Cheri,

Is this the post?

Dieseldiva had posted this the last time. I just copied it to this post.

You Might Be An Expediter If...

1. You have a reserved parking spot at the Detroiter.
2. They know you on a first name basis at the Ohio state turnpike Toll Booth
3. When the French fries machine in the Burger King beeps, you run to your truck.
4. You've been asked more than a 50 times on the CB, "Hey, expediter truck! Y'all make any money in them little trucks?"
5. You own more than three deep-cycle marine batteries.
6. You have spent at least 1 Thanksgiving at Canadian Customs.
7. You can remember your dispatch phone number but not your own.
8. You've spent so much time in Canada that you end every sentence with, "Eh?"
9. You can spot a satellite dome in the oncoming traffic from a half-mile away.
10. You now have a permanent limp from the weight of three nationwide pagers, a QC pager and two cell phones.

The bigger question for me is this. What search terms did you use to find this? I looked for over an houir and finally gave up. Now some of that time was reading. :rolleyes:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The thread I referred to was a thread, not a single post. I believe it was begun with Lawrence's "when the french fry machine at Burger King beeps, and you run out to check your Qualcomm", but there were a lot more contributions, as well, and all were pretty funny. I think we should have a way to see the threads like that: instant classics. Like Moot's "Blinker fluid":D:D:D Because I can't ever do that 'search' thing either...:mad:

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
yesterday I couldn't even spell experderter er expedriter er explodetiter and now I are one

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter

Maybe it is when you stop asking questions, and start answering them.

I think the trick is to always consider oneself a "newbie". That way one keeps an open mind and the possibility of learning.

Staying a "newbie" also keeps your future options flexible as you don't become "old" and "set in your ways". :D

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
You'll know because your tax guy will tell you that you would have made more money being the greeter at wal-mart and home every night; also we'll show you the secert handshake...