Newbie from Michigan.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I too am from Michigan. Good luck out there and keep safe. Keep checking the location threads, we may meet up some day.

art71

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
First run:

Orientation was great! My first run came Wednesday morning. I picked up a load out of Kerskey, Pa and delivered it to St Thomas, Ontario, Canada. A 2,100 pound 291 mile run across the border into Canada in one day. Now sitting in Detroit for next load (I am around 12 on the load board).

It was a great drive, traffic good, border crossing went smooth, Panther support team awesome!
Three things I learned: -1- Need new GPS current one does not have Canada maps -2- Need a new cell phone provider Metro PCS cellphone does not have coverage in Canada -3- Qualcom just have to get used to it. But after a few pays I should have new cell phone and GPS, I enjoyed everything about running to Canada. And I will grasp the use of the Qualcom.

Hope everyone is having fun,
Art

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
First run:

Orientation was great! My first run came Wednesday morning. I picked up a load out of Kerskey, Pa and delivered it to St Thomas, Ontario, Canada. A 2,100 pound 291 mile run across the border into Canada in one day. Now sitting in Detroit for next load (I am around 12 on the load board).

It was a great drive, traffic good, border crossing went smooth, Panther support team awesome!
Three things I learned: -1- Need new GPS current one does not have Canada maps -2- Need a new cell phone provider Metro PCS cellphone does not have coverage in Canada -3- Qualcom just have to get used to it. But after a few pays I should have new cell phone and GPS, I enjoyed everything about running to Canada. And I will grasp the use of the Qualcom.

Hope everyone is having fun,
Art

Be careful with cell phones in Canada. The roaming charges are HIGH unless you have a plan that has Canada service as a part of it. We do not. We seldom use our cells when in Canada. We find the occasional use and roaming less expensive than a Canada plan. Check it out closely.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Or show up at my house unannounced at 3am. I am not so likely to brew a pot of Folger's at that time, but moreso pull the hammer back. Cranky and suspicious in the middle of the night, I am.

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

Not likely to die from "acute sudden lead poisoning" at my place. It would be more like "acute sudden tungsten" poisoning. No hammer to pull back either. Just a light touch to take the safety off.

art71

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
Last week was a lot of fun. This weekend I am in Brookville, Pa waiting to pickup Monday morning in West Middlesex, Pa. What does everyone do at truck stops for the weekend?

denny2010

Expert Expediter
We once in a while get a hotel. Just to get out of the truck.we are in york.pa. have pu load on monday. But we do laundry, do some paperwork and just be more than arms reach away...lol..SPACE..

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

sluggo

Seasoned Expediter
Art,

Welcome to EO! We encourage everyone to read as much on the forum as they can before they hit the road. Best of luck!

The two biggest reasons I'm still in the business is having read everything available to lay my eyes on and a great carrier/dispatch. Good luck Art!

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
We once in a while get a hotel. Just to get out of the truck.we are in york.pa. have pu load on monday. But we do laundry, do some paperwork and just be more than arms reach away...lol..SPACE..

Ditto on the motel. Don't mind the truck if we're moving, but it's heck (least for me) if your stopped and hung up for a weekend at the truck stop. Some look at it like your wasting 50 bucks of earnings on a room?

Not me. I figure it's a night of relaxation and I got there for free. Matter of fact....I figure 200.00 per month for room expense and that's considered 4 days of vacation and free time. One can easily waste that 200.00 on frivolous stuff out on the road.

Get out, relax, kick back and enjoy the day/evening. After putting up with shippers, dock personnel, logs, regs, etc........that DO NOT DISTURB on the door handle looks awfully good to me.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I avoid hotels at all costs if I can....I traveld for my last profession for 18 yrs.....all in hotel after hotel...can hardly stomach them anymore...

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
What do you dislike about hotels? I hate that one guy who is in and out of the room all night slamming the door. All you hear are doors chinking and a lot of noise in some places. There have been times where I was in a hotel room and thought to myself the truck would be less noisy. At least when you are in the van you can always switch parking lots without losing any money. But you have to have your van set up so that you can be in it 24/7. I never had an air conditioner or any type of amenity in my van.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter

Same here, usually Sunday, matter of fact unwinding in one now. Does me good get away from the truck. It quiets the "other" voice in my head the sceams " RUN OVER THAT IDIOT"........:D

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 2

Last edited:

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
What do you dislike about hotels? I hate that one guy who is in and out of the room all night slamming the door. All you hear are doors chinking and a lot of noise in some places. There have been times where I was in a hotel room and thought to myself the truck would be less noisy. At least when you are in the van you can always switch parking lots without losing any money. But you have to have your van set up so that you can be in it 24/7. I never had an air conditioner or any type of amenity in my van.

What do I dislike about hotels....all of the above and BED BUGS!!