Newbie from Michigan.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Yeah, then there's that beach on telegraph that beat me out of ten bucks Sat night.

art71

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
Yep Metro Beach (Lake St Clair) in Clinton Township. If you are good swimmer you can end up in Canada

In Ohio you can bask on the beach of Mosquito Lake, around the Cortland, Ohio area.

In Ohio, I can walk to the beach [Lake Erie] from Mom's house, and did, every summer day growing up - on my way to the pool. ;)

I grew up in Niles, Ohio we spent a lot of time at Geneva State Park. For some odd reason I really enjoy Ohio and Michigan. Most likely that is where most of my family and friends are.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You would be hard pressed to find any better walleye fishing, any where in the world, than in the Detroit River and Western Basin of Lake Erie. Amazing.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It would take an extremely strong swimmer to swim from Detroit to Windsor, Canada.

The currant out there can exceed 8MPH this time of year. 6 to 7MPH is the norm. That currant and the cold water temps most of the year would make that a VERY tough swim.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
It would take an extremely strong swimmer to swim from Detroit to Windsor, Canada.

The currant out there can exceed 8MPH this time of year. 6 to 7MPH is the norm. That currant and the cold water temps most of the year would make that a VERY tough swim.

Good news is it's only 10' deep...otherwise LLH would NOT have gotten on a jetski, lifejacket be danged.

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Hey now, I know you're not mocking the huge, gaping craphole that is the city of Detroit. Some folks might be offended by that.

Mocking? No, Star, that was more like horrified. When I was a teenager [just after the flapper craze] ;) we used to drive to Detroit, cause it was both Motown & the Motor City, & it was cool, daddyo.
Now it looks like Beirut, & the potholes on Eureka have actually ejected my radio from the dash - it's just mind boggling what taxpayers get for their 'investment' any more.
And I don't even like walleye! [My Dad used to catch a lot of it, too.]

Welcome to EO Art, we're more fun than a barrel of missing link simeons.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Good news is it's only 10' deep...otherwise LLH would NOT have gotten on a jetski, lifejacket be danged.

The shipping channel between Detroit and Windsor is, at it's shallow point, 35' deep and 45' deep at it's deepest point. No coal, ore or ocean going carrier could run in a channel that is only 10' deep. The majority of ships that run that channel draw 25' to 30' when loaded. I don't know where you got the idea it was that shallow. Your source was wrong. It would be a good idea to get some Coast Guard charts to get a better idea of what the reality is out there.

The depth makes no difference, the current and temp will kill regardless of how deep that channel is.

http://www.lre.usace.army.mil/greatlakes/hh/outflows/discharge_measurements/detroit_river/

Last edited:

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
The shipping channel between Detroit and Windsor is, at it's shallow point, 35' deep and 45' deep at it's deepest point. No coal, ore or ocean going carrier could run in a channel that is only 10' deep. The majority of ships that run that channel draw 25' to 30' when loaded. I don't know where you got the idea it was that shallow. Your source was wrong. It would be a good idea to get some Coast Guard charts to get a better idea of what the reality is out there.

The depth makes no difference, the current and temp will kill regardless of how deep that channel is.

http://www.lre.usace.army.mil/greatlakes/hh/outflows/discharge_measurements/detroit_river/

Lake St. Clair has an average depth of 10'. That was my mistake for not clarifying. We didn't take the jetskis into its shipping channel, only an idiot would do that. The maximum depth of Lake St. Clair is 27'.

I was also talking about LAKE St. Clair, NOT St. Clair River or Detroit River

The "idea" that the area we were in was that shallow came from um, Coast Guard charts. Having 3 jetskis, a ski boat, and a pontoon, we have plenty of those and like to know where we're going to take them before we actually take them.

The inland lake we live on is, interestingly enough, the third deepest lake in Michigan. Encompassing 60 acres of land, it is
150' deep at it's deepest point. So small a land mass, but deeper than Lake St. Clair.

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
Hey fellow Michigander. Assume you're in the middle of orientation now? In Midland County myself and not too far away. Finally headed down south to meet up with straight truck partner this Wednesday. Spouse is already shrugging it off and says "show me the money".....or something like that. Been 6 weeks since CDL school and rearing to go, but the foot tapping is almost over.

Welcome, and good luck to you.

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
God luck and welcome art71 and maverick. Be safe AND smart ! Chance masters..from Port Huron.

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

art71

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
Orientation completed! That was the most comprehensive orientation I have attended, very impressed. It was a lot of information to absorb but was quite. Kudos to the trainer and the rest of the Panther team for pulling all of this together. TJ made it fun and somewhat easy to absorb. I will start out tomorrow accepting loads.

Thanks for all the great comments. I will be checking in often especially with perplexing question.

Art

art71

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
Hey fellow Michigander. Assume you're in the middle of orientation now? In Midland County myself and not too far away. Finally headed down south to meet up with straight truck partner this Wednesday. Spouse is already shrugging it off and says "show me the money".....or something like that. Been 6 weeks since CDL school and rearing to go, but the foot tapping is almost over.

Welcome, and good luck to you.

Thank you!

Where did you go to truck driving school? I attended TDDS in Lake Milton, Ohio