new to expediting

bijan1

Seasoned Expediter
Hi i have been driving class a trucks for 5 years now. Four of those years i have been doing local delivery for con-way freight hauling pups and doubles. I want to do my own thing and really get ahead in life, any and all advice to get started in this business would be greatly appreciated. I am looking to buy my own truck and dont want to spend much more that 50k on a new tractor, or straight truck with a sleeper. From what i have read on other forums I expect to have costs including truck payment of around .65/mile. In this economy how are the miles, is 2500 realistic in this environment. Could i get home every 2 weeks and expect to have a good relashionship with my dispatcher. Thanks in advance

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The short answer is, things are tough right now. More so for some than others. Most successful expediters stay out longer than 2 weeks. There are exceptions, of course.

Spend some time going back through the threads in Newbies, General, and recruiters. You'll learn a lot.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
ooida has an excel spreadsheet for you to determine fixed and general costs. 65 cents sounds low to me since that is close to my number in a van. maybe it is right.

there are many other things to do than expedite with a tractor. containers come to mind. schneider has an intermodal div that allows 2 weeks out and a few days home. you won't have one dispatcher most likey but a crew and a crew of load planners.

have you found a company yet or still in the formative stages?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Greetings Bijan,

I hooked up with Con-Way (CCX) in 1984. The company was about 9 months old at the time. I spent 13 years there. When I quit I was number 5 out of 100+ drivers at our terminal. I have no regrets, but at times I miss the money. My sanity, or what is left of it, came first.

Take a long hard look at your financial situation. Do you need a steady uninterrupted income? Are you able to budget and save for unforeseen expenditures? Can you afford medical insurance? Are you sitting on a pile of money to get you started and keep you going for awhile?

I've been doing this for 12 years. Expedite freight rates were much better when I first got into this business. I'm hanging in here and still having fun. I could never go back!

Good luck and keep researching.

Aaronrocker

Seasoned Expediter
Hi i have been driving class a trucks for 5 years now. Four of those years i have been doing local delivery for con-way freight hauling pups and doubles. I want to do my own thing and really get ahead in life, any and all advice to get started in this business would be greatly appreciated. I am looking to buy my own truck and dont want to spend much more that 50k on a new tractor, or straight truck with a sleeper. From what i have read on other forums I expect to have costs including truck payment of around .65/mile. In this economy how are the miles, is 2500 realistic in this environment. Could i get home every 2 weeks and expect to have a good relashionship with my dispatcher. Thanks in advance

Ok first off I want to tell you that you are an idiot for wanting to do this right now. The freight numbers are low and we spend many days at a time sitting (our current record is 6 days.) Why the hell would you want to leave a "cushy" LTL job? I was laid off from Old Dominion Freight Lines back in early 2008 due to the shady ecomony and dwindeling numbers in the freight. I worked there for over 2 years and would "kill" to go back! I was home every night, the pay was excellent, ($18.00/hr) I had medical/dental/vision benefits which is something that you will not get in the expediting industry, and my route and customers were awesome!

Be very careful in the choices that you make in the next few weeks because they may be your last. There are countless stories of people on here investing there life savings into a truck and loosing it all. I don't want to scare you but just tread lightly. If you want to go into this industry, then do me a favor and give me your LTL job! I would go back in a heartbeat!:D

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Really!! That was uncalled for.

I can assure you Bijan that most folks here aren't that classless.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus

bijan, the expedite business is indeed slow. the best suggestion is to find:
1. a company that you can work with and thru. remember they work for you.
2. find an owner who can get you a good truck and mentor you at the same time.
3. plan to run as a team to optimize the equipment. good paying loads come to those who keep the wheels rolling and the driver side door closed.

Last edited:

scottanhelen

Seasoned Expediter
Ok first off I want to tell you that you are an idiot for wanting to do this right now.

When I read things like this I always think of the Sam Walton story ( founder of Wal-Mart ).
When he started out the CEO of one of the larger chains said he did not know what he was doing and would never make it. I guss he was a idiot also, wish I could that kind of idiot.

jsbiker

Seasoned Expediter
Aronrocker :eek: look who is the E..... :cool:
who is doing all the sitting wow
its slow but 6 days :eek:
look at yourself before calling others E....
this person may end up have a new way and change the world as we know it:)

and bijan1 I wood like to say sorry that someone would welcome you on EO that way so wrong

broker

Seasoned Expediter
I know what got Kathy and I interested in giving up what we had to do this.
It was not the normal reasons.
We just had T-bone steaks lastnight in the parking lot of a Cabela's (spelling?) on our mini grill.
Life for us could not be better.

Now, if all you newbies would start out by telling us "why" you want to do this, then we can tell you if it is the right fit for you.

Example: If it is for all the money you are going to make, stay home.

BIG JOHN

greg334

Veteran Expediter
When I read things like this I always think of the Sam Walton story ( founder of Wal-Mart ).
When he started out the CEO of one of the larger chains said he did not know what he was doing and would never make it. I guss he was a idiot also, wish I could that kind of idiot.

Different time, different situation. Sam there was a direct retailer who knew how to draw in a customer in a time when there were real opportunities. Most of us who are not independent are tied to one company and have no control over what happens within the company and in most cases what we can do about getting freight on our truck.

The word Idiot is harsh and not really the right word to use but the reasoning behind it is realistic because this is not the time to get into this business and won't be for a long time.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The word idiot is harsh and doesn't apply here at all. The fact that this guy came here to educate himself is strong evidence that he's anything but an idiot.

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
Really!! That was uncalled for.

I can assure you Bijan that most folks here aren't that classless.

I agree also. Just because people are looking for other options, does not make them a idiot. Some people, this job would be better than what they have now. Even with the freight being so slow.

Example. I've been talking with this couple who are wanting to find a owner to drive for. Talked with them on the phone, giving him details about it and what to expect from it, especially in the times we are in now.

After a while, we got into more details to why they are looking to do something like this. The times we consider freight being so slow and not making much, they didn't make near as much as we did in our slow time. He said would be a pay raise for them.

So, don't look at a person wanting to get in this business, even in the slow freight time, as being an idiot. We don't know what their situation is and why they have considered getting into this business.

As for the Con-Way driving, it might be best to stay where you are atm, because you are probably doing better than us at this time, maybe not either, I don't know what Con-Way pays or offers for benefits.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I also agree but could not figure out what to say other than that it is not a good time to enter into this business.

broker

Seasoned Expediter
So he called him an idiot. It was an opinion and that was what he got from one person.
I'm sure he wasn't half offended as most others, (who it was not directed to) seem to be. Heck, I've been called a lot worse on here and do you think it bothers me at all, coming from strangers? NOPE!

Why is that topics always get going in a direction other than the original.
Seems more are interested in an opportunity to condem the opinion of others, than sticking to the topic.

I'll answer his two main questions.
NO, you will not be able to go home every 2 weeks.
NO, doing this will not keep you in good standings with your dispatcher.

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
So he called him an idiot. It was an opinion and that was what he got from one person.
I'm sure he wasn't half offended as most others, (who it was not directed to) seem to be. Heck, I've been called a lot worse on here and do you think it bothers me at all, coming from strangers? NOPE!

Why is that topics always get going in a direction other than the original.
Seems more are interested in an opportunity to condem the opinion of others, than sticking to the topic.

Oh well, that is your opinion. I guess this is what the forums are for, to post your opinion. My opinion is, that its uncalled for to call some one a idiot when they are just asking questions.

scottanhelen

Seasoned Expediter
Different time, different situation. Sam there was a direct retailer who knew how to draw in a customer in a time when there were real opportunities. Most of us who are not independent are tied to one company and have no control over what happens within the company and in most cases what we can do about getting freight on our truck.

The word Idiot is harsh and not really the right word to use but the reasoning behind it is realistic because this is not the time to get into this business and won't be for a long time.

I did not mean to compair Sams business principals to expidite that would not make sence. I ment Sam would not give up no matter what other people in in the business said.

Is this a good time to enter expidite no, can it be done I think so. The person will need to run his busniss smart. And it won't be easy

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

He won't be able to go home every 2 weeks? Who'll be telling him he can't? He plans to be an O/O so that decision is totally up to him, with no fleet owner to answer to. He may live in an area where the company he's with has customers, in which case they may love it if he were home on weekends and able to pick up on a Saturday or Sunday. When I was with Thompson, there was a guy that lived in the Chicago area and went home almost every weekend. Dispatch loved it! He would pick up on Saturdays for delivery Monday morning in Canada.

As I said in my first response, most successful expediters stay out longer than 2 weeks. The key word is "most". There are exceptions to most any rule.

broker

Seasoned Expediter
How about if he had said, You would "have" to be an idiot or you "would" be an idiot?
Remember the old school days verse about sticks and stones?
I'm sure we as adults can handle a name calling or two.
I sometimes feel we have children posting on EO when the name calling starts.

Now, please show me the newbie that is going home every two weeks (driving a straight truck)
BIG JOHN