new to expediting

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
Well, guess the same can be said when people start name calling, instead being like children and doing the name calling, lets act like adults.

The fact of it is, there could of been a more appropriate name instead of calling this person an idiot, is there a point of calling a person a idiot, unless he made a not so smart decision, but he has not actually even begun the process of becoming a expediter. I can understand peoples frustration and when it comes down to it, when it has come to a fact, that person could be called a idiot. But, who here knows this person long enough to call him a idiot? I'm pretty sure none of us know him.

Last statement for this post. If you believe you reserve the right to call someone a name that reduces their integrity as a person, I believe there should be proof for the reason for calling this person such name. In your opinion he may sounded like a idiot, but to most here, he probably didn't. This person was only asking for advice to what he was needing to know. Ok, maybe he was asking the wrong questions or he thought about it and its something this person thought they may be interested in. But, you can't call them a name for their ignorance of not knowing the beast of the business.

Its people that like calling other people names which gives all the others here a bad name. But, like I said, this is a forum to where you can post your opinions, but don't expect everybody to like what you say and give any pleasant feed back on it.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
So he called him an idiot. It was an opinion and that was what he got from one person.
I'm sure he wasn't half offended as most others, (who it was not directed to) seem to be. Heck, I've been called a lot worse on here and do you think it bothers me at all, coming from strangers? NOPE!

Why is that topics always get going in a direction other than the original.
Seems more are interested in an opportunity to condem the opinion of others, than sticking to the topic.

I'll answer his two main questions.
NO, you will not be able to go home every 2 weeks.
NO, doing this will not keep you in good standings with your dispatcher.

broker ,as I have told you before in a pm I have read every post that you have made and every thread that you have participated in.

Having said that,I defy you to show us an example of where you have been called something worse than an idiot in the open forum.

This is just another example of you seeing a post from someone that you don't like (Ateam,and now me because I DARED to answer a question for Phil and you took it as an attack) and a chance for you to whine again about how nobody likes you.

So put up or shutup,where is the proof that someone called you worse than an idiot?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Now, if all you newbies would start out by telling us "why" you want to do this, then we can tell you if it is the right fit for you.

"All YOU newbies"? You have what, 6 months behind you in expediting, and you feel ready to portray yourself as experienced? A bit presumptious, methinks.
Example: If it is for all the money you are going to make, stay home.
Are you not making money, or what? Why would you say such a thing?! :confused:

BIG JOHN[/quote]

broker

Seasoned Expediter
If some of you care about how others think of you on EO, so be it.
I don't. If you like me, you like me, if you don't, fine.

Now, let me understand. It is the amount of time a person has in Expediting, as to what qualifies him/her as to how much of an "opinion" they can give.:D

I met a driver 4 weeks ago in New Jersey, who has been with my company for 5 years. After talking with him for a few minutes, I realized I knew more about this business than he did.
Guess some are faster learners than others.

So I guess how much time you have in the business can be irrelevant when giving opinions.:D

As for going back and pulling out every reply one has given, give me a break,
Ever heard of taking something out of context?
Unless you go back to the topic and read the whole post, you don't have a clue why something has been said.:eek:

Whiner, there we go again, childish name calling when we can not get our way.:mad:
BIG JOHN

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
Whiner, there we go again, childish name calling when we can not get our way.:mad:
BIG JOHN

I couldn't resist when I saw you post this.

You were defending someone for name calling, but you get upset when some one calls you a name? Sounds like a bit of a hypocrite to me. As you said before, sticks and stones, being called a whiner shouldn't of bothered you in the least bit.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I sometimes feel we have children posting on EO when the name calling starts.

BIG JOHN

I couldn't agree more with that. That's why I joined DD in pointing out how low rent it was for Aaronrocker to name call in that situation. Now, in a forum like the Soapbox where the topics get very personal, there will be some name calling. It goes with the territory. But here, there's just no call for it.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I did not mean to compair Sams business principals to expidite that would not make sence. I ment Sam would not give up no matter what other people in in the business said.

I got it, the word that I use is fortitude.

I have been doing this thing for a while and still learning but I also try to be realistic about the success rate (or is that the survival rate) in this business.

I am finding more people are driving for owners which in some ways is a good thing but in other ways it further limits ones ability to control things in order to make it.

There is really no right or wrong in this business, it can be easy to learn for some and hard for others - which actually depends on if you are a company driver or independent.

What I guess my contention is that I don't want to see people enter while we have a glut of trucks and drivers out there and fail, but I get tired of the Rving lifestyle that has been promoted by others. This is really hard and dangerous work when you come down to it and it won't get better for a while and there will be more people leaving than entering.

Today I was offered another FL70, cheap. Nothing wrong with the truck the guy had enough and wants to ditch the truck to get into something else. He owned the thing for a while, it was paid off but he said at the rates that he has been getting - 80 cents to a buck five, he can't do it any more.

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
I would suggest that owner to lease on some where else. I was told not to say how much we are getting at our carrier still, but most of you probably already know, but were still making the same since the beginning 1 1/2 years ago. And they are keeping it the same, because they realize, if they go down on price, they will eventually start losing trucks and the trucks are what makes the business. Which is true. I bet you will not see a dispatcher go jump in a truck and start delivering loads.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
If one would read between the lines here it would be quite obvious why this might not be a good time to jump into this business.... a bunch of fairly intelligent, so called seasoned expediters, having time to argue minutia on line....

Last edited:

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
If one would read between the lines here it would be quite obvious why this might not be a good time to jump into this business.... a bunch of fairly intelligent, so called seasoned expediters, having time to argue minutia on line....

LOL I'm just bored. And quit throwing words in have to look up. :p

VBobby

Seasoned Expediter
When I realized I was an idiot, I felt sorry for myself. Then I met someone who was stupid.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
Hi i have been driving class a trucks for 5 years now. Four of those years i have been doing local delivery for con-way freight hauling pups and doubles. I want to do my own thing and really get ahead in life, any and all advice to get started in this business would be greatly appreciated. I am looking to buy my own truck and dont want to spend much more that 50k on a new tractor, or straight truck with a sleeper. From what i have read on other forums I expect to have costs including truck payment of around .65/mile. In this economy how are the miles, is 2500 realistic in this environment. Could i get home every 2 weeks and expect to have a good relashionship with my dispatcher. Thanks in advance

Well, miles are tough right now but seem to be picking up. Are you asking 2500 for a team or a solo? If a solo, that is going to be some good miles. Doubt you'll do it right now (though I've never been solo so I could be wrong). During good times the average for a team is between 2 and 3 thousand miles, more is a bonus week. Don't go in thinking too big and end up disappointed. Expect a good week for a team to be 3000 or 1500 for a solo.
As for home every two weeks, last time we were out of service was Dec 29th. Made it 'past' the house twice in the last 3 months. Past meaning just a quick look in. Probably won't go out of service again until July (unless an emergency comes up).
If you expect to get home every two weeks you really should probably stay with the class a trucking companies, you can't make any money if your always wanting to drop out and go home. Personally, I have found expediting takes dedication to the job. It owns you, you don't own it. :D

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
If some of you care about how others think of you on EO, so be it.
I don't. If you like me, you like me, if you don't, fine.

As for going back and pulling out every reply one has given, give me a break,
Ever heard of taking something out of context?
Unless you go back to the topic and read the whole post, you don't have a clue why something has been said.:eek:

BIG JOHN

As I said BIG JAWN, I have read every post and EVERY thread that you have posted to,so I have taken nothing out of context.

Maybe you should go back and review everything that you have posted on EO then you MIGHT see how hypocritical your posts really are.

And please,STOP saying that things that people say about you on here don't bother you when nothing could be further from the truth.

broker and Aaronrocker,cut from the same mold? or at least from the same IP address.:rolleyes:

My troll alert meter is pegged on these two.