New Sprinter

Marty

Veteran Expediter
I recently ordered a 2011 Sprinter but after reading on the web about problems with clogging DPFs and regenerations and excessive AdBlue use when idling I am getting nervous about picking up my new Sprinter.
I idle a lot during the summer in order to use the air conditioner. With my 2006 Sprinter I use a stick to raise the idle to 1200 rpms and haven't had any problems.
I would appreciate any thought or advice before I do something rash like canceling my order and loosing my $2,000 deposit.

Thank you,

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
My truck was an International and had the DPF if I idled alot I would have to regenerate, but as long as I was driving on the highway most days I didn't have to regenerate, not sure if the Sprinter has the same system.
I leased my truck so wasn't to concerned about the DPF system
Do you know what sort of warranty they have on the DPF? I do know they are quite pricey to replace.
Another option is to get an portable AC unit and Generator instead of running your truck all the time.
Spending $1500 to save yourself from a $4000 dollar plus replacement DPF

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
ask the dealer if it is to late to order high idle on your sprinter as it has to be done at the factory it is add on option
we order all our sprinter with that on
it was to late to do for my 2011

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There are options to idling that will save wear and tear and also save on fuel costs. Over time they pay for themselves.

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
There a lot of people who think there little Sprinter is a Peterbilt.LOL Do you really think they design that unit for running the AC all nite.I understand they get 20/25 mpg if your foot not to heavy. If you are a super trucker you get less.You could get a Motel room every nite and give that little motor a rest and use it what it was designed for.You guys kill me you you want a RV type unit and still haul fright and make money. Go buy you a Big Rig and go to work and let the rest of us haul that cheap fright.You sound like you think the dealer going to refund your money if you back out....Good Luck

paullud

Veteran Expediter
There a lot of people who think there little Sprinter is a Peterbilt.LOL Do you really think they design that unit for running the AC all nite.I understand they get 20/25 mpg if your foot not to heavy. If you are a super trucker you get less.You could get a Motel room every nite and give that little motor a rest and use it what it was designed for.You guys kill me you you want a RV type unit and still haul fright and make money. Go buy you a Big Rig and go to work and let the rest of us haul that cheap fright.You sound like you think the dealer going to refund your money if you back out....Good Luck

Ahhh, the wisdom of a man that just doesn't know any better.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

denny2010

Expert Expediter
**** , right out of the gate diss-ing the sprinter.....sure didnt see that coming....lol.. hope if you keep your new sprinter it works out for you...just put money to the side, just like anything else......

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I have a 2011 Sprinter. Originally I had one on order, but the build date kept moving back so I cancelled it and found one close to what I wanted.

If you need to idle, you will need either the variable or fix idle option. Either will raise the rpm to where it needs to be for idling and keeping everything working right. The heat produced by all the anti pollution stuff is the main problem.

That said, don't idle. Bad things could happen as told to me by 3 different service techs from different dealers when I was researching.

I bought a Coleman polar cub 9200 on line from PPL motor homes in Houston for $549. A Honda 2000 for $889 from Wise equipment. Cost about $500 for the install. Works great and no idling.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Marty

Veteran Expediter
Thanks everyone. Golfournut, does the Polar Cub 9200 keep the whole Sprinter cool or did you has to partition?
Also how do you like your 2011 Sprinter? Is it a Freightliner or a Mercedes? Any touble getting in for service on a timely manner?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Dont worry about cooling the whole van while sitting...buy a 10 ft freight blanket and hang it from a shower rod across the van in a place that will block off most of the cargo area and keep your "personal area cool...it really is that simple...

I use a 8000 btu window unit powered off a 2000 watt Honeywell Generator with a freight blanket set at 7 ft back from the ft seats...i cool that whole area to 68-72 while sitting in 90-100 outside temp.....There really is no reason to cool the whole van...

Monty

Expert Expediter
High idle option is almost mandatory, if you choose to idle it at all. Go with the generator and a/c unit ....

As for Mercedes vs Freightliner .... no difference, just a name on the hood.

Get your service done at a "quick lube" place, find one at home, make sure they have the oil .. (MUST be synthetic .... 5 w 30 prefered), and the oil filter for it.

Dealers charge WAY too much, be sure to keep the service record, in case of warranty work .... hell, if ya handy, you can do it yourself .... but I'd save that option for after the warranty runs out, so there can be no question you had it done.

Oh, I see you are by Cleveland ... make the drive to Wilmington this weekend to the Expo, and get all your questions answered ...

Last edited:

cookiemonster

New Recruit
you have the proper name deadhead or I would call you a d#%*head