New HOS Rules are out

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Whats so tough about the 30 min break.You stop and eat dont you,30 mins

That may be true for a solo but not for teams like Diane and me who like to keep the truck moving while under load for security and fuel economy reasons. Every stop costs you more fuel than you would spend if you kept moving.

When we are running, we don't stop to eat. The non-driving co-driver fixes food for the driver. We try to keep the truck moving non-stop as much as possible so as to not interrupt the non-driving co-driver's sleep schedule. A mandatory 30 minute break hurts us more than it helps.

Also, has anyone thought about what effect this 30 minute break will have on truck parking availability? When you force all OTR trucks to make a 30 minute stop that they might not otherwise make, what's that going to do for truck parking, especially in the late afternoon and early evening when a whole lot of trucks are looking for parking at the same time?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Just like eobrs, when there's a change many seem to think it will be a problem when it is not.

30 minutes is neither unreasonable or a show stopper - carriers will have to step up and change their SOP while the drivers need tell the carrier the regs are to be followed.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I don't think truck stops will fill with trucks. Some will use it when refueling, sitting at a dock, crossing the GW or a host of other places.
Might effect a few loads, but in reality with expedite, for every 100 loads, five percent or less maybe would have to be looked at.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I don't think truck stops will fill with trucks. Some will use it when refueling, sitting at a dock, crossing the GW or a host of other places.
Might effect a few loads, but in reality with expedite, for every 100 loads, five percent or less maybe would have to be looked at.

I think someone is thinking that this will be another massive shift in the wrong direction, like CSA was to bring about a huge exodus of drivers and a economy shaking driver shortage.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think someone is thinking that this will be another massive shift in the wrong direction, like CSA was to bring about a huge exodus of drivers and a economy shaking driver shortage.

Possibly, but not likely.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Suck it up Cup Cakes, Personal I realy dont give 2 sheets to the wind. The Jabronees never change the 11 hour drive time did they
the only thing the 30 min rules is going to do is stop my 11 hours in the seat with out stoppiing. Oh well Ill suck it up. By getting out of the truck running around the lot for 30 min. All this does is ENABELING THOSE that cant hold there water a charlie out. Well let them do a power walk to get in shape. I have only had 2 co Drivers that could hold there water so to speak. I just know this will be a welcome to those team drivers that can't hack it. OH well such is life.
One is for sure The med field will be changing and all Obease people will have to conform to a new program and get fit or you loose. Ooh ya its here. Been saying now do your selfs a favor get fit.
Ever read the trucker Mick Severn colum well he been saying it the same as I have. Now the time do somthing about it and help your self. Lastly stop snivelling about the hours
like i said I can give 2 sheets to the wind about it. I dont care dont effect me. I just get out and run around the truck for 30 min on Break. Keeping that Physical fittness going.
Get off your duffes The rest of you can do a Power wallk for 30 min.
Have a wonderful day and Happy New Year Cup Cake.

Attachments

• 390856_316825768351078_143791405654516_996328_1135467525_n.jpg
    390856_316825768351078_143791405654516_996328_1135467525_n.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 17

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Attention Driver shortage because of out of shape Short little drivers that cnat reach the pedals of their rigs with out wood Blocks Velcorowed to the pedals now we come to find out where all the phone books went in their trucks so they used them to sit on so they can see over the dash guess some body forgot to instruct them on how to use the air raise and lower the seat.
Remind you of somebody Greg.
Hey dont feel bad the Brass I Drive for went and told everyone I was a midget.
Had all the Jambronies and Jamokes at the company beliving it.

Attachments

17.9 KB · Views: 11

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I wonder, did the tree huggers try to provide input into the new FMCSA HOS rules? I don't think they will be happy with the results, especially the mandatory 30 minute break.

A truck that stops for 30 minutes and that the driver stays in is likely to idle or run its generator for that time. Under the new rule, how many thousands (millions?) of trucks per day will stop when they otherwise would not to fulfill the mandatory break requirement? How much fuel will be burned and how many tons of harmful emissions will be generated as a result?

In mandating a 30 minute break, did the FMCSA undermine much of what the EPA has tried to accomplish with its tree hugger truck regulations? Might it be true that what the EPA takes out of the air the FMCSA puts back?

Last edited:

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Real truckers don't use air-ride seats.......jus' saying, cupcake.

THe only reason they dont use the air ride seat is A they dont have an Air Ride seat or they istalled some other type of chair or like some short midgets they put it on the deck. I have a co driver now that when he drives the chair is on he deck just like my last co driver on the deck. As it was put I cant reach the Pedals.
CUPCAKE

Attachments

17.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
That may be true for a solo but not for teams like Diane and me who like to keep the truck moving while under load for security and fuel economy reasons. Every stop costs you more fuel than you would spend if you kept moving.

When we are running, we don't stop to eat. The non-driving co-driver fixes food for the driver. We try to keep the truck moving non-stop as much as possible so as to not interrupt the non-driving co-driver's sleep schedule. A mandatory 30 minute break hurts us more than it helps.

Also, has anyone thought about what effect this 30 minute break will have on truck parking availability? When you force all OTR trucks to make a 30 minute stop that they might not otherwise make, what's that going to do for truck parking, especially in the late afternoon and early evening when a whole lot of trucks are looking for parking at the same time?

your in a straight truck,what parking problem?I can always find a place to park,in my TT

ATeam

Retired Expediter
your in a straight truck,what parking problem?I can always find a place to park,in my TT

I was not talking about straight trucks alone but about all trucks. I'm thinking especially of the dance you see every night at truck stops where the big rigs work hard to find parking. I'm wondering if that situation might be made worse by a rule that requires trucks to park for 30 minutes when they otherwise would not.

NTHEWIND

Seasoned Expediter
The rule requires you to be off duty or in the sleeper berth for 30 minutes. Fueling a truck is logged as on duty not driving.

And most drivers will just park on the fuel island for 30 minutes anyway and log it as 'off duty'

zorry

Veteran Expediter
You can't have the wife preping food while truck is moving. You can't eat driving down the road. Pull over 30 mins. Do a walk around. By then, the wife can have food ready and you have 20 minutes to eat. Some loads I'll eat in the driver's area. If you're running loads where you can't take 30 mins out of each driver's shift you have other problems. IF I would need more time BECAUSE of a mandated break any reasonable carrier would call the delivery and make an adjustment. Remember SAFETY,SAFETY,SAFETY !