New Food Stop

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
OK. You are sitting at the "J" (Exit 201 on I-75) south of Atlanta and "comfort food" (not) just doesn't sound good today.

Ready for a new adventure that your taste buds will enjoy?

Jackson, GA is only 8 miles to the east. Go into Jackson and turn south on Route 23. About two miles outside of town you will see a big Coke sign that says "Fresh Air Bar B Que". Approximately 1000 ft past that sign you will see the restaurant on the right.

Yep! You can park a big truck in their lot. There is a turn-a-round area for big trucks. Sweet!

The place has been in business since 1929. You will smell the Hickory Smokehouse out back as you get out of the truck. Yummy!

Why is it called Fresh Air. Simple. No A/C. All the windows are open and it has an outdoor atmosphere. Very basic and down to earth.

Walk up to the counter and order. I had a huge plate of pulled pork, a cup of Brunswick Stew, a dill pickel, cole slaw and two slices of white bread for under $8.00.

The pork and stew were out of this world!

Worth the drive.

PS. When you come back through town, you can stop at Bruster's for desert. Some of the best ice cream I have ever tasted. They sit on the right side of the road.

riverrat2000

Seasoned Expediter
if hes still there, right across and down about 300 ft. from the j there is/was a trailer that a guy sold bbq out of and the man knew something about bbq'ing

Falligator

Expert Expediter
Was just at that J two days ago....darn I wish I had seen this post b4 i left florida...oh well.

ShawnF

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Just around the corner from the J at 201 is a place called Buckners....They have gospel sings in addition to the BEST FOOD!! It's buffet type, with a twist. The tables are round and sit about 8 people, so you have the chance to meet and greet people that you might not know. In the center of the table is a lazy susan loaded with chicken, corn, green beens, bread, corn bread, muffins, black eyed peas, peach cobbler, shreaded pork, the list goes on....
We were taken to this restaurant by a local couple that we know and whenever we get the chance we stop.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the tip Pelicn.

Buckers sounds like a good time.

I checked them out on the Road Food web site and I noticed that they didn't take credit cards.

I stopped at the Bruster's in Jackson and they had a $5.00 minimum purchase requirement to use a credit card.

Generally, I avoid locations that will not take credit cards, but I think I'll make an exception for Buckner's.

Again, thank you for posting a decent place where I can fellowship with folks and not have to hear a bunch of vulgar comments.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
I forgot that they didn't take credit/debit cards. Thank you for posting that information.

Brewster's ice cream is awesome!

arrbsthw

Expert Expediter
We live about 20 miles from the Fresh Air BBQ in Jackson, Ga.
It is wonderful with the best brunswick stew ever. We go there
quite often.

the BBQ man is no longer at the Flying J exit. Has been gone from
there for some time now. Don't know where he went to.

Buckners is GREAT food.. downhome cooking. We always pay cash so I
don't know about the cc thing.

Smokediver511

Seasoned Expediter
If you ever run I-59, Stop off in Ft. Payne, just ask anyone there to get Directions to the "BBQ Place". Its Small and been there for Years. But i think you will be glad you did. Its easy to get to and about a mile off the trail.

SmokeDiver & Company
Panther II #5837

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Bar-B-Que Place
1502 Gault Ave S
Fort Payne, AL 35967
(256) 845-6155

Exit 218 off I-59

Go east on Route 35 (Glenn Blvd SW)

Turn right (south) onto Gault Avenue S (Routes 7 and 11)

Cross Streets: Near intersection of 15th St SE and Gault Avenue S

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Shane's Rib Shack
4980 Bill Gardner Parkway
Locust Grove, GA
Hours: Mon - Thurs 10:30 AM - 9 PM Fri - Sat 10:30 AM - 10 PM Sunday 11 AM - 9 PM
Phone: 678-583-8186

One of the better franchised BBQ eateries I have visited.

Exit 212 off I-75 (About 30 miles south of Atlanta)

Go east toward the fast food joints.

After you go through the first light you will see a shopping center on the right (south side of the road). It sits back behind some frontage businesses. You can park in their lot. Walk toward the bank in the northeast corner of the complex and you will see Shane's.

I am a big guy and I couldn't even finish their sampler platter.

Caldonna

Expert Expediter
David,
Thanks for the post regarding Fresh Air. I grew up in Atlanta in the 60's and both of my parents grew up in South GA (Baxley) so we drove there quite often as both of their parents were in poor health all through my childhood. We often stopped there and the Brunswick stew was fantastic. Life moved on, as it always does, and many years passed. My father was diagnosed with Alzheimers around '02, I was working for an Atlanta area courier company. Had a delivery to Macon come up and took my father with me, coming home we stopped at Fresh Air and ate, first time in probably 20 or 25 years. Revived a lot of memories of our family trips. Dad passed away as a result of Alzheimers this past January. Fresh Air is one more thing I will never forget about him.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
saw a tlc program about bbq across america. of course i did not see the entire program but saw this place both times.

o'fallon il. off 64 just east of 255
17th st bar and grill.
gracie had pork ribs and i had the beef. she had the larger take home. sides included, red beans and rice, baked sweet potato, greens and sauteed veg medley.

maybe someday we will get to lamberts the home of the throwed roll in sikeston mo.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Just keep postin them BBQ joints!! I am adding them to my favs in my GPS as you do !!

Thanks for the info!!:D:D

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Nothing can compare to Texas BBQ,but when runninng I 10 in Louisiana,at the 115 mm Breaux Bridge is the town,There are three resturants that serve great cajun dishes,but the one that I feel is the best is Crawfish Town.When you leave the exit,going north,its about a mile on the right.Plenty room for truck parking,you can even sleep there.Its the best seafood gumbo you will ever eat, you better bring your appetite.All the dishes are incridible,I like the Crawfish special

MSinger

Expert Expediter
Gotta hit Lambert's.....it is great and worth the wait. There is also one in Ozark MO on US 65 south of I-44 and in Foley, AL.

Anyone tried Caveman BBQ in Richland, MO??? It is actually a restaurant inside of a cave. Never been there but will try it the next time I am through there. It's not too far off of I-44. Was going to stop on my last trip through but had a date with the median cable barrier instead.

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Lamberts is awesome.........Been to the location in Sikeston, MO. Better bring an appetite cause you're gonna need it the portions are huge! And it's fun to catch the "throwed rolls" too!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Lambert's has been on my list of places to get to for a couple years, but I gotta ask: what happens to the rolls that don't get caught? (It's a lot of work, to just throw them away!) :confused: