New Economy...new way for o/o's

Xpediter

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I think its time for companies to allow multiple leases.

1 straight truck o/o can be leased to the cat, tristate and landstar at the same time.

who ever offers the first load that I accept.....I haul your load.

x

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Not enough loads to go around. A better bet would be to go down to the Mexican boarder and start shipping illegal imigrants in. You would need a reefer for this of course. There is great demand and if things keep going the way they are you would be able to get government funding to help cover your costs!!! Layoutshooter

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Sorry but that is a nightmare in the making.

Maybe it would be better to see more owners get out of the business so there is a shortage of trucks, right now there are more trucks than freight and will be for a while.

fastrod

Expert Expediter

1 straight truck o/o can be leased to the cat, tristate and landstar at the same time.

x

It is really simple to do something like this and haul for multiple carriers, get your own authority and become a partner carrier with as many carriers as you like.

cruzer

Not a Member
I'm sure someone will cut my head off but I'll say it anyway.The problem is that most of the larger carriers will hire every truck that comes along and have grown beyond there capabilities. I have made several phone calls just for kicks and a lot of the smaller carriers have a hiring freeze on right now which I believe all carriers large and small should be doing. In recent weeks there have been several people come on EO and ask advice about which carrier they should put a truck or van on with. Now you tell me what kind of business sense do these people have to try and start a business while freight is so slow. If all carriers would stop hiring for a while it would help. This would also stop the people from running from one carrier to another. Everyone just needs to hold there ground. freight will get better but may get worse before then.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Grow beyond their capabilities?

I don't know, I think it is more like grown beyond the expectations of the owner.

When freight was good, people made money and everyone kept saying this is a great place to make a go of things. Now we are having a bigger problem with competition, and times changed.

Freight is there but we are seeing a deflation of rates and many are complaining about it. People have to adapt or get out of the business altogether. God help those who have to haul three and four loads to make up for the one load that they used to haul last year because it may be that we have now entered the world of LTL freight whether we like it or not.

cruzer

Not a Member
Greg,Don't get a big head but I usualy agree with your opinions. If a carrier wants to have six trucks available to service a customer but now that customer wants to shop prices and get there freight hauled for sixtyfive cents was that customer ever actualy theres to begin with.We provide a much faster service than LTL no matter what the price we arrive before the big truck can,so do we get there and wait to deliver.In expedite the truck is exclusive to each customer,supposed to be,but in LTL you carry several loads at ounce,are our expedite dispatchers capable of doing this.I don't have a problem hauling LTL but they do need to get enough on the truck to make it pay.It could turn out pretty good actualy,we travel at a faster average speed than a big truck and deliver much faster.A person can make the same or more in LTL if the dispatchers can get more than one load on the truck.

guido4475

Not a Member

x
While this sounds great,just think of the dispatch nightmare it could cause.For at least the smaller companies, anyway.Not to mention, it is a DOT rule that a truck can be leased onto one carrier at a time. Kinda like running multiple logbooks. Unless youre in a cargo van, and fall under the 10,000 gvw scope of the dot.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In recent weeks there have been several people come on EO and ask advice about which carrier they should put a truck or van on with. Now you tell me what kind of business sense do these people have to try and start a business while freight is so slow.

The problem is some of them have decided that they want to do this and just don't want to hear what they don't want to hear. They'll take the one tiny thing someone says that sounds good, like the one great week they've had in the last couple of months, and forget about how many are saying how bad it is. Is there anything more frustrating than having someone ask for advice, then get pizzed because you didn't tell them what they wanted to hear? Yeah, there are things more frustrating, but...

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I'll have to agree that it looks like we are entering an LTL world here. People just don't want to pay the price for expedited service anymore and we are nuts if we give expedited service for LTL prices. Business is self leveling so those of us who give super service for low rates won't be around this time next year. It's just common sense.

Having said all that, it appears that I have the wrong size vehicle to be profitable in the LTL business so I'll leave the struggle to you folks.

moose

Veteran Expediter

x

You will still have the same amount of trucks competing for the same amount of freight .

Moose.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
if you had your own authory you could do that by becoming agent for a few companies, and when they run out of their trucks they will call ya

also should see if they would allow you to place ad's on your truck