New CV team driver

Sharon

Active Expediter
Hi guys and ladies. I'm Sharon and just started driving with my husband in our CV this week. Looking forward to the adventure and but am a little worried about the lifestyle change. If I can get my husband (Billg27) to stay more in campgrounds and less at Walmart I should be good. Again, looking forward to meeting new friends in the business and learning more at the expo.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Wish u all the best, and I have my new book out, How to stay married in a cargovan. Its free,lol, you all have fun. You should be getting lots of PMs by now from women drivers, would hope.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
My wife and I drove CV as a team for awhile, it is much easier than it seems.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

Wolverine

Seasoned Expediter
Hi guys and ladies. I'm Sharon and just started driving with my husband in our CV this week. Looking forward to the adventure and but am a little worried about the lifestyle change. If I can get my husband (Billg27) to stay more in campgrounds and less at Walmart I should be good. Again, looking forward to meeting new friends in the business and learning more at the expo.

You had BETTER be worried about the lifestyle change!

Six years ago my wife (my wife at the time, that is) and I graduated from a top-notch Class A driving school. We (at least I) couldn't wait until we could hit the road and experience the Grand Adventure!

About the same time, a very wise man suggested my bride and I lock ourselves in a room about the size of a large closet for a week or two and see how we related to one another once we stepped out of that confined space.

Of course, I ignored him, thinking he had been jaded by being out on the road too long and by being a very unreasonable person. I should have listened. Three years later my "bride" and I were separated and a year after that I had filed for divorce. And THAT was due to the togetherness of a large, plush, straight truck sleeper; not the confinement of a cargo van.

I'm not saying your "adventure" won't work; I'm suggesting the lifestyle change you have committed to may be more brutal than a first glance might suggest. Remember, this honeymoon may go on for a very long time - and after a dish-throwing tantrum there may not be a beach handy to walk while cooling off.

Now, I'm still happily engaged in the expedite world and very content with another woman. She and I are relatively set in our ways and I would never, ever suggest she join me in a truck and ruin a great relationship...

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That sounds like the advice I have given a number of times, to spend a week living in a walk in closet with a chair just outside the door. Keep a trucker's schedule meaning 12 hour shifts, 12 of it spent sitting in the chair (behind the wheel) and 12 in the closet on the cot (sleeper berth time). Take a 10-15 minute break every 3-4 hours for fueling, pit stop, grabbing a sandwich and hit the road again. You literally are either in the chair (behind the wheel) or in the bunk. If you survive that week then maybe you will make it team expediting.

Now, vans have more flexibility due to no logs unless under hazmat but the theory is similar.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wife and I did almost 6 years in a tiny CV...and it does get tiny real quick.....LOL

Now I know why guns are not allowed in trucks.....hehehe....I wouldn't be typing this if they were....enjoy....:)

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Sharon...I wouldn't have missed it for the world...so many new places to see. Yes the confines of a van keep you just close enough to hit him with the mapbook when he gets silly...and yep...didn't have to shoot him...lol

and I've retired myself out of the (now) sprinter but I still miss it sometimes. :)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The biggest factor in whether your relationship survives isn't the vehicle, it's the relationship. If you can agree on goals [both long & short term], and have your own ways of resolving whatever disagreements crop up to the satisfaction of both, and truly enjoy being together [most of the time - you don't need to forego some 'me time', if you want it], then you will stay together, whether you're parked at WalMart in a cargo van, or living in a 28 room mansion.
Welcome to expediting.
:)

paullud

Veteran Expediter
The biggest factor in whether your relationship survives isn't the vehicle, it's the relationship. If you can agree on goals [both long & short term], and have your own ways of resolving whatever disagreements crop up to the satisfaction of both, and truly enjoy being together [most of the time - you don't need to forego some 'me time', if you want it], then you will stay together, whether you're parked at WalMart in a cargo van, or living in a 28 room mansion.
Welcome to expediting.
:)

Cheri is 100% right, the relationship and the way the 2 of you resolve issues is the key. If you guys resolve problems by screaming, hitting, or throwing things I would be doubtful the relationship would last even if you weren't in a van.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Getting your act together and keeping your wife happy is also an option. :D

images

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hi and welcome.

The trucking is a brutal animal when it comes to relationships money is tied up or non existant, no time together, or, too much time together, no privacy, the list goes on. YOU MUST BE EVER VIGILLANT WHEN IT COMES TO YOUR SPOUSE AND KIDS I have seen friends and family members in trucking start out happily married and it fall appart. I told my wife if she has ANY problems what so ever with me and the trucking business to tell me and I will do everything I humanly can to fix it. Even if it involves stuffing it into the can and shutting the doors.
Make sure you have that pact and be prepared to follow through with it.
Put your Spouse and kids first they will god willing out live your carreer.

Again Hi, welcome and good luck.

Last edited:

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Welcome to the EO forums, Sharon. You'll find some great campgrounds out here on the road.

If you don't have the smartphone apps already, AllStays has some great ones for Camp & RV, Camp & Tent (at which you can park a CV usually), Truck Stops, Walmarts w/Parking, Rest Areas, etc.

Best o'luck to you out here. Looking forward to seeing how it all goes for you both.