Need some thoughts please.

Lifesbeachy

New Recruit
Researching
Point blank........

I am just curious, is fleet ownership really worth it from a financial standpoint?

Another blunt question, what can a fleet owner expect to earn on a per truck basis point black?

My goal is around 15 trucks overall.

My business experience is experience is extensive as I used to be a high level manager within the aviation industry.

Where I am fuzzy now is figuring out what the fleet owner benefit is per month/per year after expenses?

I really hope that someone will be blunt with me and give me a rough estimate instead of keeping things just a complete hidden secret as if it were guarded by AREA 51.

Thanks guys!

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
That is a tuff one to answer, but, say IF each machine gets 2600 good paying miles per week @ say $1.85, and IF you have good personnel operating, and IF you have good luck with your equipment, and IF the Freight Gods are smiling on you might make a few bucks. However, IF any or a combination of the above go South....not so much.

There is NO textbook answer to the question. I suggest you get the best estimate of average miles and revenue from your chosen Carrier get a fix on operating expense and do the math.....from there it's a crapshoot.

Reactions: SWTexas1

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I'll add this. It appears to me that Fleet Owners are outpacing single unit Owner Operators by a stretch.

That could indicate more opportunities for a Fleet Owner.....

Skyline

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I sold my fleet I had 7 years ago, for one simple reason, drivers drivers drivers. They run your business for you! Granted, there are many excellent fleet drivers out there, but buying trucks is the easy part, keeping those seats filled with reliable and caring drivers, is the x factor. As my wife says, show me the drivers and you can buy whatever you want. Straight as you wanted it!

Sent from my STV100-1 using EO Forums mobile app

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My business experience is experience is extensive as I used to be a high level manager within the aviation industry. I really hope that someone will be blunt with me..
I'll try and be blunt with you. Why aren't you interested in being a fleet owner in the aviation segment of the transportation industry. I realize that planes cost more per unit but if aviation is your expertise, why not concentrate on aviation? You can own a fleet of planes and even lease them to expedite carriers.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Point blank ...? Ok ...

I find that guys that talk about 15 vehicles before they've even owned or operated 1 are usually filled with hot air.

No secrets here, but no shortcuts either. Want to know how this business works? Get yourself in a ride & sink or swim like everyone else.

Last edited:

Chris@Doms

Seasoned Expediter
Carrier Management
Fleet ownership is a lot of work. You have to find reliable repair places. Not only by your business but abroad. You have to be able to do some work yourself. You have know something about the trucks you have, common problems, repair intervals, etc. Then keep after those trucks making sure they're maintained. Go find drivers, keep them happy all while making sure you're turning a profit with whomever is actually moving those trucks.
I only own one truck, but I maintain 3 more for my family. I also oversee two other fleet owner's equipment is being up kept correctly. it's a lot of damn work. and I do all this along with running my carrier business.
After all bills are paid I'd say on average the actual take home for a fleet owner is low 20%s over the year. They have good months and bad, but if they go without a driver or broken down then it's just wasting money sitting because the bills don't stop.

Reactions: Moot

Dallen323

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
I have an acquaintance that came into some cash and decided to get into the trucking business. He has a good job and makes decent money but wanted something of his own to pass to his children etc. So he bought one truck and hired a driver. He about broke even on a monthly basis. So another party convinced him he needed to have several trucks to make any money. So he invested in three more trucks. Then he couldn't find drivers to fill the seats. Long story short. Not having any experience in the business and trying to expand too rapidly put him out of business.plus he was juggling a full time job too.I n my humble opinion you should buy one truck and drive it. If it's profitable find a driver to put in a second truck. If that works lather rinse repeat. Best of luck to you .

Reactions: Ftransit and Turtle

Lifesbeachy

New Recruit
Researching
Steady Eddie I have no idea what you mean??? Are you just here to pick a fight or do you have a legit question or concern, if so, state the question/concern rather that pointing to your "mommy" and accusing someone you've never met before of lying. For one, I do not see where my advantage would be in lying about any of this as I am just trying to learn about the feasibility regarding the profitability within the expediting industry.

I do have extensive managerial experience within the aviation industry, that was my primary passion and career track, until unfortunately health issues ended that option for me.

I also have 2 years OTR experience though not much of that in expediting.

I honestly cannot wrap my head around the concept of trying to accuse someone of lying on a random internet forum, it's weak and just plain childish.

Rant over, and I do not have the need to further validate myself to you, sir, as you are not worth the time in my opinion.

I've noticed a lot of people here get so upset when someone asks a simple question, really I don't see what is so hard about helping to mentor a newbie out, that's apart of life.

Oh well I guess.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Steady Eddie I have no idea what you mean??? Are you just here to pick a fight or do you have a legit question or concern, if so, state the question/concern rather that pointing to your "mommy" and accusing someone you've never met before of lying. For one, I do not see where my advantage would be in lying about any of this as I am just trying to learn about the feasibility regarding the profitability within the expediting industry.

I do have extensive managerial experience within the aviation industry, that was my primary passion and career track, until unfortunately health issues ended that option for me.

I also have 2 years OTR experience though not much of that in expediting.

I honestly cannot wrap my head around the concept of trying to accuse someone of lying on a random internet forum, it's weak and just plain childish.

Rant over, and I do not have the need to further validate myself to you, sir, as you are not worth the time in my opinion.

I've noticed a lot of people here get so upset when someone asks a simple question, really I don't see what is so hard about helping to mentor a newbie out, that's apart of life.

Oh well I guess.

He is not accusing you of lying, he never said that, he just stated that in his opinion your info from another thread didnt match. So instead of getting so insulted go back and look to see if all your posts coincide or if maybe they could be confusing then explain to Eddie what you meant. He is worth your time cause he is a longtime expeditor who has been successful in this business !!!

This is not a "random" internet forum. This is the go to internet forum for the expedite industry. The only one that promotes this industry and brings us all together. EO does alot more than just operate this site. EO is responsible for the Expedite expo. The only national truck expo for the expediting sector of the trucking industry. The Expo is alot more than just a truck show. there are several different classes held that cover all kinds of topics for expeditors new and old that are taught by experienced, seasoned expediters and top of the line carriers and suppliers to the expedite market. They also promote EO university, which is a gathering of companies and seasoned expediters with the sole purpose to educate new people coming into the business which is separate from the Expo.

Yes, at times we can be a little more than critical about some of the questions that people have and we may take them as vague cause there is so much more to it then can i be successful. There are so many variable to that question that a direct answer is not always easy. Most of us here are more than willing to help mentor and answer questions but you just have to put up with the way we go about it and not get offended. just understand there is a method to our madness. Expediting is not like anything else, It is a niche market that has its own rules and they change all the time. So, as i stated, nobody here is intentionally offending you its just our way of figuring out what you want from us, so please carry on and let us help you !!!!!!

Lifesbeachy

New Recruit
Researching
Point blank........

My business experience is experience is extensive as I used to be a high level manager within the aviation industry.

!

I'm confused.... this doesn't match your experience in another post in another thread. Unless you're 125 years old.

Sent from my iPad using EO Forums

Steady Eddie
I apologize if I took your comment the wrong way, please forgive me. I've just sprained my ankle and had a tooth pulled in the same day so my mood has been more on the "irritable" side of things. Anyhow, I did take your comment saying "I'm confused" as if you were calling my bluff or thought I was lying, I do not lie. I am not sure which post made you confused about my experience but I did dig through my old threads to try and figure it out.
Best guess is it is the one where I am talking about my different types of OTR driving that I have done. All of that is true and verifiable at about 21 months worth.

So where did I get my aviation experience?
1. 6 years in military aviation
2. 4.5 years in private aviation where I worked my way into management, got tired of the politics and decided to change occupations.
3. Started driving, tried reefer on a dedicated run, left for a company hauling drop deck trailers, that company was terrible so I went back to the first company, not much money being made so I switched over to Tyson Foods, decided I wanted to team drive so I got an old work buddy to join me in expediting, did that for one month and made no money because the owner would not get the truck fixed (previous team had hit a deer and the owner did not want to repair the damage, this put us out of service quite a bit), left expediting to go to a team only company, made excellent money but we ran very hard. Then life happened, this February I pulled my intestines apart twice, went into septic shock twice, ended up with an ostomy bag, had my organs begin to shut down on be due to complications of the ostomy, had a case of adrenal crisis, then had to get the ostomy reversed, then back to the hospital for a fluid buildup in my abdomen and had a procedure done to get rid of that. Knock on wood, its over now. But I was clinically dead once, and almost died 4 more times so far this year.

Because of all this, I am now contemplating where I want to take my life. I have always been passionate about business and vehicles (both trucks and airplanes).

That is what brought me here, I am trying to use the guidance, knowledge, and experience of those that have been there done that to see if this would be a rewarding and viable way forward for myself. Regardless, I do plan on beginning to expedite again in the next week or two, I have been working on getting all of that set up. So I guess we shall see.

In reality, I am a very cool headed, kind hearted, laid back type-but because of this year I swear it has changed me because of my absolute understanding of mortality, then, when I think I am through it all I get a bad sprain and need crutches and I get a tooth pulled that I swear is the most painful thing ever. So because of that, I guess maybe I was a little too short with you.

Again, I hope you will accept my apology, I also see that you are in TN-PM me sometime and lets get together, I at least owe you a drink.

Thanks guys

Reactions: RoadTime and Moot

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Steady Eddie
I apologize if I took your comment the wrong way, please forgive me. I've just sprained my ankle and had a tooth pulled in the same day so my mood has been more on the "irritable" side of things. Anyhow, I did take your comment saying "I'm confused" as if you were calling my bluff or thought I was lying, I do not lie. I am not sure which post made you confused about my experience but I did dig through my old threads to try and figure it out.
Best guess is it is the one where I am talking about my different types of OTR driving that I have done. All of that is true and verifiable at about 21 months worth.

So where did I get my aviation experience?
1. 6 years in military aviation
2. 4.5 years in private aviation where I worked my way into management, got tired of the politics and decided to change occupations.
3. Started driving, tried reefer on a dedicated run, left for a company hauling drop deck trailers, that company was terrible so I went back to the first company, not much money being made so I switched over to Tyson Foods, decided I wanted to team drive so I got an old work buddy to join me in expediting, did that for one month and made no money because the owner would not get the truck fixed (previous team had hit a deer and the owner did not want to repair the damage, this put us out of service quite a bit), left expediting to go to a team only company, made excellent money but we ran very hard. Then life happened, this February I pulled my intestines apart twice, went into septic shock twice, ended up with an ostomy bag, had my organs begin to shut down on be due to complications of the ostomy, had a case of adrenal crisis, then had to get the ostomy reversed, then back to the hospital for a fluid buildup in my abdomen and had a procedure done to get rid of that. Knock on wood, its over now. But I was clinically dead once, and almost died 4 more times so far this year.

Because of all this, I am now contemplating where I want to take my life. I have always been passionate about business and vehicles (both trucks and airplanes).

That is what brought me here, I am trying to use the guidance, knowledge, and experience of those that have been there done that to see if this would be a rewarding and viable way forward for myself. Regardless, I do plan on beginning to expedite again in the next week or two, I have been working on getting all of that set up. So I guess we shall see.

In reality, I am a very cool headed, kind hearted, laid back type-but because of this year I swear it has changed me because of my absolute understanding of mortality, then, when I think I am through it all I get a bad sprain and need crutches and I get a tooth pulled that I swear is the most painful thing ever. So because of that, I guess maybe I was a little too short with you.

Again, I hope you will accept my apology, I also see that you are in TN-PM me sometime and lets get together, I at least owe you a drink.

Thanks guys

No need for apology. For a minute there your post seemed like you were as dry as a PopCorn fart lol.

I spent 25 years in the aviation industry myself, so I know what you're going through. My plan was to get out here, learn all I can,(in a Sprinter), and expansion into bigger equipment. Drivers, and a fleet manager to handle all the woes. Had the fleet manage lined up. Drivers on the other hand was hard to fine and to trust. I thought about lease purchase program so they would treat the equipment like their on. 11+ years later I'm living a stress free life with just the Sprinter. I probably take way to much time off, after the aviation career drained me, it is nice to have a life again. Yes even in expediting.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Glad to see you all took a breath and started over, truly nice to see !!!!!!!!!!
Thank you !!!!!!!

Reactions: Moot

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Glad to see you all took a breath and started over, truly nice to see !!!!!!!!!!
Thank you !!!!!!!

No need to get wrapped around the axle about small stuff or big ones for that matter. After all it's just a web site. One I used to get some info for myself BTW. Thank God I found it as I was going to sign on with All Types lol.

Sent from my iPad using EO Forums

Reactions: Turtle

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
lol, this whole thing is too much. God, you guys are so easy. Let me know if you guys end up getting that drink.